Completionism

RichardG

Thank you

Dankeschön, Rodney

RichardG

I should wait for a complete one to come along, right ?

I'm still learning the ropes as a Newbie Completionist.

There is currently a Rider Blue Box "Reprinted Many Times to 1939" up for auction.
I don't have one of these. And, oooohhhh, I want one.
The cards and box are in excellent condition - but it's LWB is missing.
So, as far as I'm concerned, it's is a broken and incomplete deck.
And I do not feel the slightest bit compelled to own a broken deck.

Similarly with the Albano-Waite deck that's going at the moment.
I need a back-up for my most adored 1968. More than anything.
But this eBay Albano doesn't have it's box.
And the seller is unable to say if it's a real '68 or the (deeply flawed IMO) USG facsimile.
And so, quite simply, I don't feel the need to bid on it, either.

If I were a more deeply affected and committed Completionist, I'd just bid to win anyway. Right?
But I'm quite comfortable to let my preciousness veto my completionistic tendencies.

Dear Lord! Maybe I'm not a Completionist at all.

:eek: Am I just a...a....another.....Tarot Deck Collector !?!?!....:eek:

nisaba

<frowning>

Preciousness is an *ugly* characteristic in a Completionist. It completely interferes with the Noble Aims of Completionism.

RichardG

So There!

YES! I bought the most reviled Merrimack 1960S.

I didn't need one.
I didn't even want one.

But I didn't have one.

And now I do.

I know you understand.....

nisaba

*BING*

As a completionist, I love my subcollections.

A thread in chat made me discover one I already have rolling along nicely - a collection of decks that show Tarot readers at work in one or more images. Of course, there is the Granny Jones deck, where two cards feature Tarot and several feature miscellaneous forms of divination. There is one of the Pagan Tarots (either As Above or So Below, I'm not sure), which shows a reader with the four aces from that same deck spread in front of her. And who could forget the 23rd Major Arcana card in the BBC deck, the Tarot Reading Cat?

YES! <punches air>

Another subcollection to work on!

I have them tagged with letters of the alphabet in my profile. My Inner Completionist will not rest until I discover in my current collecting proclivities enough subcollections to get down to Z.

linnie

A'HA! A little birdie told me I'd find people here... I began guessing names (of course I knew gregory would be found here, and strongly suspected that nisaba would be firmly entrenched here, too :)). I'm just popping in to say hello, because it's fairly clear that I'm not a deck completionismist, and the only thing I'm aiming for completionism in is my crystal collection (they keep inventing more, don't they! :-o). Oh, and my flute collection (one in each key... yes, I can hear you nodding in approval :)).

I couldn't resist the temptation to come and have a peek at what makes all you deck completionismists tick, though. :)

RichardG

Another book shelf please.

It started innocently enough....

There I was, quietly reading the LWB from Wang/Regardie's Golden Dawn Tarot, when I come across this:- "More detailed information will be found in An Introduction to the Golden Dawn Tarot by Robert Wang (1978), with which this deck is intended to be used."

Later I find myself purchasing yet another Morgan-Greer deck - simply because this one contained an advertising pamphlet that I hadn't seen before.....which read:- "The Book of Tarot by Susan Gerulskis-Estes. A complete illustrated description and interpretation of the Morgan-Greer Tarot Deck"

Oh Dear Lord.

Fearing what I might find, I open the box of my old Aquarian deck. Oh No! The back cover of the LWB taunts me with "Psychic Tarot. Companion to the Aquarian Tarot Deck by Craig Junjulas"

So. My Completionism isn't just about 1965-1985 decks anymore, is it?
No. Now it encompasses books that are specifically associated with those decks too.
And look at the prices on Abebooks! First Editions - so affordable, so necessary....

I'm not sure that this new level is a 'sub-collection'.
Fellow Completionists, what is this thing called?

RichardG

Keep it simple

What?
I collect "companion books" ?
Oh dear, I'm afraid that's a bit too obtuse for me, Rodney.

A simple man, I identify more readily with this suggestion from Google Translate :-

Homo Amens Devorat Librorum Vetus

Yep. This is what it's really all about.
It's what I do. It's who I am.

rwcarter

What?
I collect "companion books" ?
Oh dear, I'm afraid that's a bit too obtuse for me, Rodney.

A simple man, I identify more readily with this suggestion from Google Translate :-

Homo Amens Devorat Librorum Vetus

Yep. This is what it's really all about.
It's what I do. It's who I am.
Oh, I thought you were asking what the sub-collection would be called, not what the Completionism would be called.

Rodney