One Deck Wonder 2014

autumn and the sword

Re: Becca

I'm realizing why that book and the original ODW thread suggests you don't primarily use TdM's for this. Without the imagery, reliance lands on books. There is just only so much you can get from a pip card! I'm heavily debating learning for a year with something else. The only decks I will have that have illustrated pips will be Tarot of the Cat People and Samhain Deck of the Dead. Neither are here yet. Considering working outside of TdM's seems very scary to me. It's uncharted territory! If I do end up having to switch, I'd have to reset everything. Would like everyone's opinion on this one please. :)

Well I think that's all to my progress report. How are you guys doing?

Becca

Hi Becca! My advice is to get really clear about what your goals are. Think about some of these questions: why do you use tarot? Why do you want to do a year of study with one deck? What do you love about TdM? Why are you afraid of working outside TdM?

You have several options that I can see. You can use TdM AND a deck with illustrated pips, you could create a different plan that better suits TdM, or you could switch completely to one of your other decks when you get them.

I'd suggest the two deck approach, since you seem so taken with TdM (it's part of your name!) and a little uncomfortable with switching, but I think it really depends on what your goals for this project were/are. If the whole reason you wanted to do this was to learn TdM better, for example, I'd recommend trying to come up with a plan that would let you stick with it.

-- Meranda

Hooked on TdM

Hi Becca! My advice is to get really clear about what your goals are. Think about some of these questions: why do you use tarot? Why do you want to do a year of study with one deck? What do you love about TdM? Why are you afraid of working outside TdM?

-- Meranda

Excellent questions. I'm going to answer them right here!

Why do I use tarot? I love how the cards can be so accurate, in depth, in your face, gentle and give great advice that's empowering. I'm fascinated that it works and no one knows why. I love being able to help others. I'm irresistibly drawn to them.

Why do I want to do a year of study with one deck? First, I really don't want to end up bouncing from deck to deck. It's too expensive and I don't feel that I will learn as much bouncing as I do sticking with something. My ultimate goal though is to be able read professionally. That means I need to work my butt off to get my skills up. I also want to he able to approach my readings from various knowledge angles (intuitively, traditionally, and scientifically.)

Being able to read professionally to me means that I can read from various decks so that my sitters get a choice. So it is a bit of problem if I only learn TdM and nothing else.

What do I love about TdM? I love the simplicity of the cards. I love the history of that style and the unusualness of them. I originally was drawn to them because there were so different from RWS.

On the flip side of this, there are some things I'm not thrilled with at this point. They are not the most visually appealing cards and I crave reading from a beautiful deck. After owning and studying so many different TdM's I feel very little is challenging me. I think I'm bored with them. Lol

Why am I afraid of working outside TdM? Ah this is an old pain. My mother is how I was first introduced to Tarot. Unfortunately, she was abusive in all sorts of ways. As a teen (decades ago) she used to read for me and used her readings as a way to abuse me. She used classic RWS cards then. It's why I so firmly use cards as empowerment to help others. Having your cards read to tell you how you'll never amount to anything and what a horrible person you are and choices you make is a perversion of what Tarot is meant for in my opinion. For years, I associated RWS with her. This doesn't hold so much for me anymore. I doubt I'll ever be comfortable with the classic decks, but clones or inspiration decks should be okay. It's also a fear I would like to work through. So yes it scares me but not to the degree it used to. I feel its more like a reflex emotion now. An old habit that should be broken. Tarot of the Cat People was actually my first deck that she bought me. The fact that I want the deck to come home after two decades, tells me that I'm finally letting go of old fears and associations. (I have PTSD from all the abuse. The road to healing has been a long hard one. It's getting easier now.)

Okay after thinking about all this and barring my soul here, I agree with you. I should still have TdM's in there. I think the two deck approach is the ideal path for me. I do think I'm ready to face old memories and move forward.

I honestly really hate having to reset goals but I know that flexibility is good for me. Now I have to think about new goals. Lol. Nothing like complicating things for myself!

Thank you Meranda. Your questions helped me really dig at this and help me pinpoint what was eating at me with this. :)

Becca

BadGirlBlues

Excellent questions. I'm going to answer them right here!

Why do I use tarot? I love how the cards can be so accurate, in depth, in your face, gentle and give great advice that's empowering. I'm fascinated that it works and no one knows why. I love being able to help others. I'm irresistibly drawn to them.

Why do I want to do a year of study with one deck? First, I really don't want to end up bouncing from deck to deck. It's too expensive and I don't feel that I will learn as much bouncing as I do sticking with something. My ultimate goal though is to be able read professionally. That means I need to work my butt off to get my skills up. I also want to he able to approach my readings from various knowledge angles (intuitively, traditionally, and scientifically.)

Being able to read professionally to me means that I can read from various decks so that my sitters get a choice. So it is a bit of problem if I only learn TdM and nothing else.

What do I love about TdM? I love the simplicity of the cards. I love the history of that style and the unusualness of them. I originally was drawn to them because there were so different from RWS.

On the flip side of this, there are some things I'm not thrilled with at this point. They are not the most visually appealing cards and I crave reading from a beautiful deck. After owning and studying so many different TdM's I feel very little is challenging me. I think I'm bored with them. Lol

Why am I afraid of working outside TdM? Ah this is an old pain. My mother is how I was first introduced to Tarot. Unfortunately, she was abusive in all sorts of ways. As a teen (decades ago) she used to read for me and used her readings as a way to abuse me. She used classic RWS cards then. It's why I so firmly use cards as empowerment to help others. Having your cards read to tell you how you'll never amount to anything and what a horrible person you are and choices you make is a perversion of what Tarot is meant for in my opinion. For years, I associated RWS with her. This doesn't hold so much for me anymore. I doubt I'll ever be comfortable with the classic decks, but clones or inspiration decks should be okay. It's also a fear I would like to work through. So yes it scares me but not to the degree it used to. I feel its more like a reflex emotion now. An old habit that should be broken. Tarot of the Cat People was actually my first deck that she bought me. The fact that I want the deck to come home after two decades, tells me that I'm finally letting go of old fears and associations. (I have PTSD from all the abuse. The road to healing has been a long hard one. It's getting easier now.)

Okay after thinking about all this and barring my soul here, I agree with you. I should still have TdM's in there. I think the two deck approach is the ideal path for me. I do think I'm ready to face old memories and move forward.

I honestly really hate having to reset goals but I know that flexibility is good for me. Now I have to think about new goals. Lol. Nothing like complicating things for myself!

Thank you Meranda. Your questions helped me really dig at this and help me pinpoint what was eating at me with this. :)

Becca

Becca, I'm so sorry to hear about your difficult past and painful associations. You are obviously an intelligent woman; you will shine whatever your ultimate goal.

I admit that I hope you will decide to choose another deck for ODW and stay with us in this thread!

Lyn

Hooked on TdM

Thank you Lyn! No worries, no matter what I'm sticking with this. :) just gotta sort out my decks.

My bf forgot to pack Cat people, so I have to wait for next weekend when she returns. Ugh, sigh, lol.

Hooked on TdM

How is everyone doing?

I've started working with EE's method and am on a group study for that. Super fun! I've also changed how I'm doing daily readings. Now I pull a card in the morning and list what it could be, then update at the end of the day. Hopefully that will help me to define what I'm seeing a bit better. I also worked on my updated goals for this commitment all week.

My Tarot of the Cat People arrived today!!! Just thrilled to see that old deck again. (never give away decks lol). So without further ado, here is my new goals and guidelines.

Tarot of the Cat People

Focus on intuitive readings.

1. Can use the travelers report book and 21 one ways to use Tarot book for no longer then six months. No other books allowed.
2. Join cat exchange and Isg exchange. Do exchanges as much as possible.
3. Journal for each card till whole deck has been gone through.
4. Use for daily 3 card spread.

TdM Dodal

Focus on study and methods.

1. Can use any books for any length of time.
2. TdM exchanges whenever possible.
3. One card daily draws.
4. EE's reading methods and relevant study groups.

General

Each deck must be used (readings or study) no less then twice a week.
Both decks must be used for reading exchanges.
ODW for one year from today.

Becca

Hooked on TdM

How is everyone doing?

I've barely touched any of my cards this past week. I'm quite ill and am just trying to rest and get liquids in me. Over the next few days I'm going to make the effort to try to do one little thing with the cards.

I received my new Deck of the Dead this week. I've looked through it and made sure it was complete and it's now put aside. *cries* That was hard to do. I'll see it next year. I am proud of myself for doing that though.

Hope everyone is making progress and well.

Lil Red

I have to say that I'm guilty for not touching my cards for a pretty good month now. I've been telling myself that I will, but sadly I had not. I'm just too focused with the lenormand that I do not have time playing with my tarot.

So I'm thinking that of changing my guidelines and dedicating my time for tarot only on weekends. This way I can focus my time on my studies in the weekdays and using an hour an my lenny.

I'm also thinking in changing my tarot to a Rider Waite Smith tarot or my Marseilles. I feel that I had prolong in learning about their history and symbolism. In short, I'm just tired of rely on intuition instead of backing my readings. :confused:

Hooked on TdM

I haven't touched mine in a few weeks myself. I'm still sick but finally on antibiotics so hopefully only another week or so before I can try to get back to normal.

Lil Red, I don't blame you in the least for switching. TdM's are just not set up for this type of study. I switched mine to a Rws style and am very glad I did. Go for it!

Eyebright

Not much of 2014 left, but I was wondering if anyone is still One Deck Wonder-ing?

I'm feeling very drawn to commit to working with and learning more about my Greenwood, which I acquired a few months ago. It's such a lovely deck and really draws me in, but it's so different that I find myself feeling bewildered a lot of the time! I think committing to the deck will really help me to understand it and learn to read with it byeond drawing a card and going, "wow!", and nothing more.

I'm sure the journey would be more fun if I had some company! So anyone else up for ODWing?! :D

Will come back later to post my goals and aims

Eyebright

Greenwood

Thought some more on it and I'm definitely giving this a go. Even though when I drew a card for my ODW i got the 2 stones - Challenge. I know it will be a challenge to commit to a deck for enough time to make it meaningful, I've no doubt other decks will try to vie for my attention.

I've also started making notes on the 2 of stones, so that I can figure out what the card means to me, especially more mundane interpretations so I can use this deck to read on any subject, not just deep, soul searching, spiritual questions. When I'm happy with them I will post them to the study group. I'd like to be able to complete it, so that it gets it's own sub-forum :)

Aims and Guidelines
- I will use my Greenwood for all personal readings, daily draws etc, until I feel my time ODWing is complete. No time limit, because I know it will have a psychological effect on me
- If appropriate I will use it in reading exchange circles, however if it isn't (say if I did a dark deck circle), I won't feel bad for using another deck. I won't stop myself from any tarot activities as I don't want to halt my learning.
- I will work upon journal entries for the cards, and will post my findings for each card in the study group to complete it.
- I will journal my readings and wisdom learned from the deck. I may or may not post some of this to the forum, depending on how personal the messages are for me.

That's it, I'm not making this too strict, I want to have fun, and learn my deck and create a deep connection with it, so the meaning of the cards shines through.