What drew you to Tarot/divination?

Vanchica

So, wondering how you arrived here, in this space, at this time, on this path

What was it about Tarot or divination that drew you to the cards at this point in your life? Was it a reading, a dilemma, a deck, a desire to design a deck, another spiritual factor, ??

I've just returned to reading and had forgotten most of it but I started long ago with Motherpeace (which I cannot bear to read now, so many old associations) and am falling head over heels in love far more than before. :)

Would love to read others' stories

Alea

Hmm... it seems so long ago now, but it hasn't even been a year at all!
I remember I was wandering and just goofing off on reddit, with its subreddit "Nosleep"
there was a story about this girl's "Medium" being kidnapped or something, but she mentioned how she did tarot readings, psychic mumbo jumbo and all that good stuff.
I don't know... I just read it, looked at the comments, moved on to other stories, then an update came up about the story, the tarot reading came to mind, and i had the STRONGEST urge to research about the tarot cards.
And that, kids, is how I fell down the (Tarot) Rabbit hole, like alice, now i'm stuck in my own wonderland. :D

Vanchica

LOL!

It is a rabbithole, isn't it!!!

Kalisti

It started with cartomancy for me. I picked up a book in the bargain bin of Barnes and Noble on fortune telling, then bought a 99 cent deck at the corner store. It was a random splurge, and I didn't expect anything of it. I thought maybe it would be a fun parlor trick to pull out at parties, honestly. In less than a month, I was reading without the book with sharp accuracy. My cards ended up always being in my purse, and yeah, I did attract a bit of attention at parties and even at school for them. As months progressed, and my readings came true, both ones I did for myself and others (including people I only knew in passing), and I became bewildered and kind of scared. I didn't think it was demonic or anything, but I felt that something was going on that was deeper than I was ready for, and also, I kind of like the future better as a surprise, for better or worse. I reserved my cards strictly for party games, and along with other spiritual dabblings, I left it all behind.

While I was doing cartomancy, I played around with a friend's tarot deck. Even with the guide book, it didn't make sense, and I think it's because cartomancy and tarot speak to me on different levels--which again, was over my head back then. Not helping matters, I find the illustrations on the RWS deck to be off-putting, for some reason.

Every couple of years, I would pick up cartomancy again for a little bit. The second time, I was using a card deck from an antique store. The deck was putrid, and I didn't know anything about cleansing back then. Readings made no sense, no matter how I shuffled or how I tried to interpret them. On the rare instance they did make sense, it was all negative. Indeed, it was a negative time in my life, but back then, I just locked them away again. I still have that deck stashed away at my mom's house. We occasionally play card games with them.

The problem I had with cartomancy later on in my journey was that I don't like divining my own future, and most of my friends these days are not at all into cartomancy or tarot. I decided to read up on tarot and explore decks outside the traditional RWS deck. I began to realize what I was missing in my previous attempt with tarot, and saw the huge variety of decks available with art I could readily relate to. The deck I decided on was the Prairie Tarot. Until recently, it's been my only deck, and I'm getting to a point where I can read most of the cards without a book. I grew up in Nebraska and my father's side came here from Germany under the Homestead Act, so it resonated quite well (my only complaint is that there aren't more Native Americans represented, but it's still beloved by me).

I have resumed cartomancy once again, but I have found it can still read well without divining the future when consulted differently than I had been accustomed to. I like the straightforwardness of playing cards for mundane matters. Tarot has taken me on a much deeper journey, and finally, I am ready for it!

BrownBear

I have always loved decks of cards of all types. As a child my father traveled the world and would bring me cards from many different places.

Also I am Italian (Piemontese and Bergamasca) and my grandparents had many Piemontese decks and we played Italian games with them. At some point a friend told me I could use the Piemontese deck to channel my intuition. I started working with her on that, then found tarot and the rest was history

ravenest

I actively sought the rabbit hole * and deliberately jumped in ... first at about age 7 and then more directly using tarot about 15.

* 'rabbit holes' or magical tunnels, realities, myths, magic, or psychic whatever's are processes of initiation and can be encountered in different ways we find ourselves on the 'Hero's journey'; by accident ( the prince wanders into an unknown area of the forest and comes upon a magical glade, castle or house) , by seeking (the knight and quester ) , by force (abduction or conscription or 'pressing') , by blood ( family tradition, shaman, etc) , by tradition or culture ( perhaps here , Gypsies ? ), etc.

Ah yes .... there are many doorways into 'Chapel Perilous'. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_perilous ;)

conurelover

I have always loved decks of cards of all types. As a child my father traveled the world and would bring me cards from many different places.

Also I am Italian (Piemontese and Bergamasca) and my grandparents had many Piemontese decks and we played Italian games with them. At some point a friend told me I could use the Piemontese deck to channel my intuition. I started working with her on that, then found tarot and the rest was history

That pretty much is what got me into it. For me Neapolitan and Romagnole. And it was my parents and aunts and uncles. We played with Italian cards since we were toddlers. I knew Tarot was from Italy and the suits were the Italian card suits. It may be why I prefer Italian tarot decks too. Who knows. I will never stop being a student of any fortunetelling deck. One Of these days I am meaning to learn the Sibilla if I can put a Lenormand down.

Rosewater

Tarot chose me - literally. Walking home one day I found a few battered RWS cards in the middle of the street. I had no idea what they were but they fascinated me, so I took them home. A friend's mother told me they were Tarot cards, used for divination. I immediately wanted a complete deck but she said they were very hard to get (this was back in the early 1970s), so I gave up on the idea. A week or two later a new RWS deck appeared in a local gift store. It had just come in. I bought it and muddled around with the LWB for a while and started doing readings for friends. Not long afterward I found an Eden Grey book in the library. So I didn't so much fall into the Tarot rabbit hole; rather, it formed around me.

Now, many years and many more Tarot decks and books later....

novavita

A skeptical podcast actually drew me to tarot. The hosts weren't very complementary about its divinatory uses, but the psychology, symbolism, and art sounded so interesting I bought a deck.