What drew you to Tarot/divination?

nisaba

So, wondering how you arrived here, in this space, at this time, on this path

What was it about Tarot or divination that drew you to the cards at this point in your life?
Why I'm here at this point in my life is that I was drawn to Tarot decades ago <grin>.

I really can't remember why, but I do remember thinking that if it hadn't happened the way it did, it would have had to happen some other way - Tarot was one of the few (or possibly the only) thing that was actually inevitable in my life.

PAMUYA

I was born into it, I know for sure I am at least the 3rd generation of card readers, not tarot. My mother introduced me to reading for others at a young age, this was the early 60ties, no computers, no books to be found(where I lived at that time and place). Decades later, After the year 2000, I came across a tarot deck, never really gave tarot much thought, this deck had unpictured pips, but it had majors, something playing cards did not have. Now with computers and the internet I was able to look these up. I ended up finding a local class on how to read tarot, so I took it. I ended up with the RWS deck and have never looked back. I am now retired, having a couple remaining clients, and family members. I come here to AT for my tarot fix ;)

Vanchica

So many routes!

I find these stories so fascinating :) thanks for sharing them!

BeyondtheVeil

Hmm...

Well, what initially drew me to Tarot was that I was very religious and 'being psychic" was "of the devil". I was told that by my very religious grandmother.{I laugh now, but I was really confused/upset/etc}. I thought if I did Tarot, it wouldn't 'be as bad" as 'being psychic/empath/etc}.I have had abilities since I was very young. {My family does also}. On my birthfather's side, it is as far back as anyone can recall. I think how much more adjusted I would have been to this if I had been raised with others who openly did it and admitted they did. lol

Life got busy and I didn't really put much into it then. I had pretty active psychic abilities, so Tarot was really needed. I was using a book to try to learn all the meanings, but not really connecting to it. It worked well for personal readings though as it kept my emotions out of it...mostly.

Then in May 2009, I fell and broke my ankle and leg bone. I was unable to go up and down the 24 or so stairs that led upstairs to my bedroom, so I just stayed in bed most of the time. It really hurt to move anyway. :( I had found a new tarot deck before falling, so brought it out. I then looked online for a tarot or psychic development forum and found Aeclectic Tarot Forums. I spent about a year doing reading exchanges and learning Tarot. I had a brain injury and a stroke, so I totally lost most of my memory and connecting to anything, Tarot or otherwise. I took a huge break to try to recover and we are now here. lol So, I guess the answer is that I was originally looking for a way to 'make it seem ok" to use my abilities. I joined this group and actually started reading for others because of the confidence I got here and it started from a painful accident with a broken ankle and leg bone.

Brightest Blessings! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

Mi-Shell

Well; my maternal grandmother was a reader and in my mother's family there were many others. My father being Siberian First Nations and following shamanism and me, having grown up in a shamanistic world view I use Tarot to balance both sides of my heritage... besides ... shamans have always used divination...

Here I am telling a little about my maternal gran and her way of reading with an original Sporafino deck at the turn of the "before last" century

WolfyJames

My mother was doing cartomancy. She also had bought a Petit Lenormand but did not click with it. She gave it to me when I started to show interest in the Petit Lenormand. I tried cartomancy as well as a kid but did not work at all. I saw my father's atrocious Tarot de Marseille, and Tarot de Marseille, and all things French are common here in Quebec, so the tarot here is the Tarot de Marseille, and I had no interest into it. But I changed my mind when I saw the Enchanted Tarot and bought it in a book store 20 years ago.

LadyV

What drew me to tarot?

My friend first introduced me to it in college. I was fascinated by how the cards could accurately depict certain situations and offer good advice. It was something I wanted to learn for a while but I kept putting it off. Finally, last summer I was having difficulties with a coworker and needed some serious guidance. I had a professional reading, which blew my mind and the reader told me to start using the cards because I had the intuitive gift. I'm still skeptical if I'm intuitive because I really struggle to interpret my readings, but I still find the cards intriguing.

feynrir

Post-graduation aimlessness blues, for the most part :D HA!

In more seriousness, though, I had tried to read them before while I was actually in college. I've been a bookstore addict all my life and even at a young age was intrigued by decks on display at Waldenbooks and such. Finally picked up the baby-sized Tarot Nova with ridiculous, smaller-than-my-nails cards, early on during my freshman year. (My family wasn't going to get weirded out by seeing me with tarot cards! Yay!) Read the book, but I couldn't practice with the cards and became sorely disappointed. Put it away because college was busy and difficult.

Few years later and I'm completely hooked. I'm confident and very encouraged by my readings, and also have delved into cartomancy and Lenormand as well :D

Libra 58

I hade never even seen or heard about Tarot before I went to the cinema and saw "Live and Let Die" with James Bond! Well, actually Jane Seymore was the one with the cards, and I just loved it! Still do!

NightVision

It is very much a sense of being 'drawn' for most of us isn't it? I found a deck in my mother's 'top secret' drawer and i loved them. To this day I have been trying to identify the deck but mum got rid of them soon after as she was convinced she was bringing herself bad luck. I didn't get into it properly until after I left school. I go through spells of being insanely interested in things and then not at all, so this is my second or third time around.