So, what's up with the Wildwood Tarot?

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, that is wild about the book! Surely copyright infringement would have prevented such a thing! A bit shocking...
well, no. It's the same author.

Freddie

I don't have the book. But a friend gave me the deck before I ever saw the Greenwood, and it works beautifully for me. It helps that I never look at card titles - I just look at the images, and it works well and feels very comfortable.

A year or two after I had it and was used to it (and years after I heard all the hype and hyperbole surrounding the Greenwood), someone else gave me her used copy of the Greenwood. I was looking forward to great things. I was disappointed. Several of the cards reminded me of badly-drawn versions of their Wildwood equivalents, and the Ace Stones, in particular, is an awful card.

So, the Greenwood was disappointing, but the Wildwood works and is appealing. Does this make me a freak?

I agree with you Nisba. Well said.

Freddie

rylla

Parts of the Wildwood book just copy pasted the Greenwood companion book so the descriptions are describing cards which are not the Wildwood. Good, huh? :) It's describing the deck the Wildwood wanted to be...

Ha, ha!

I share your view about this deck. After the Greenwood, my hopes were high: I was waiting for a really good and meaningful deck. I find this one only mediocre.

AJ

LeFanu, soooooo.... if I could manage to rustle up a Greenwood, I have the companion book for it? Not that I could afford a Greenwood at the prices it's going for, but still.

You can often get the book for next to nothing. That said, the same person wrote the greenwood book that wrote or copied the Wildwood book. Which has issues with some of the cards.

Chelsa wasn't happy with it and put her version of a book on-line for anyone to download. It is wonderful and also has small color thumbs of each card with the blurbs. http://web.archive.org/web/20110721055158/http://www.herebedragons.co.uk/chesca/cp/green.htm

And that said, Michelle has hi-res images available on her blog to print your own deck, she said she has permission from Chelsa. A self printed deck can be a beautiful thing.

and I don't think I'm spelling her name right, sorry.
And this is probably derailing the thread, mods delete if you agree.

auntie

AJ: I'd love to know where I can download those hi-res images! I don't have a Greenwood but I'd be perfectly happy with a self-printed deck. Also, did anyone happen to get a copy of Chelsa's book online before it lost the chapter on the Fives? If you'd like to help me out, please pm me, maybe I have some out of print material you'd like in exchange. I would really appreciate it.

gregory

AJ: I'd love to know where I can download those hi-res images! I don't have a Greenwood but I'd be perfectly happy with a self-printed deck. Also, did anyone happen to get a copy of Chelsa's book online before it lost the chapter on the Fives? If you'd like to help me out, please pm me, maybe I have some out of print material you'd like in exchange. I would really appreciate it.

Sadly it also lost most of the majors :(

Oops, I take that back. I am very very stupid :D

Freddie

The Wildwood seems more about Druidry and being cauldron born, as opposed to the wider channel the Greenwood deck sems to encompass e.g. Native American etc........ I like the action demonstrated within the images. I can relate to their symbolism. Both are fine decks in their own way.

Freddie