So, what's up with the Wildwood Tarot?

Asbestos Mango

I've bookmarked the Greenwood book. It's a lot more helpful than the Wildwood companion book, but I want MORE!!!
I'd really like too find a website that goes into some depth about Celtic mythology and animal symbolism so I can get a deeper understanding of these things.

nisaba

I agree with you Nisba. Well said.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel like an alien, parachuted in. :)

I should clarify that I actually like both decks, and can use both decks. I just have a marked preference for the one I saw first.

I wonder if THAT's it with these two decks: everyone will forever have a preference for The One They Saw First?

gregory

I have nothing against the DECK. As I have said very many times.

I objected vociferously to the marketing when it came out, which almost led a few people to buy it because they thought it was actually a reissued Greenwood - and I object even more to the fact that they used so much of the Greenwood book, with the result that it simply does not relate to the cards. Waste of paper does not begin... It would have been nice to have a book with it that was about the Wildwood deck. You don't have the book, I think, nisaba, or you would see my gripe with it - and that affects anyone who is trying to grasp the wheel of the year thing that is supposed to be behind it..

The Wildwood DECK is a nice deck, yes, and reads well for me too. The art work is a little Robin Hood-y, but that's OK.

nisaba

Hey, every collection needs a bushranger deck. Or failing that, a Robin Hood deck, as the honourable ancestor to bushrangers.

Hey! A bushranger-and-infamous-convict deck! <thinks>

Serenia

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel like an alien, parachuted in. :)

I should clarify that I actually like both decks, and can use both decks. I just have a marked preference for the one I saw first.

I wonder if THAT's it with these two decks: everyone will forever have a preference for The One They Saw First?

That's it, probably. I love the Wildwood - which is the one I saw first - and have no idea how the Greenwood hype came about. :)

It would be better for the Wildwood if people would start to appreciate it on its own and stop comparing it to the Greenwood. I agree, though, that the marketing was very suboptimal in this respect.

inanna_tarot

I completely agree with Gregory....

They are two different decks - the greenwood is a different deck to the Wildwood - and I do hate the marketing blurb about the greenwood.

I do like the Wildwood - the bows and arrows thing doesnt work for me, but I do like the artwork etc.

Chiska

That's it, probably. I love the Wildwood - which is the one I saw first - and have no idea how the Greenwood hype came about. :)

It would be better for the Wildwood if people would start to appreciate it on its own and stop comparing it to the Greenwood. I agree, though, that the marketing was very suboptimal in this respect.

Well said, Serenia.

gregory

It was the marketing that made that so hard for so many. The lucky people who knew nothing about all that were - lucky. Those - too - who can recognise the book and how it came to be so VERY bad are frustrated by that and by how it came to be :mad: I would like a book about the Wildwood. I really would. But there is none.

magpie9

They are claiming that the book in the Wildwood 2nd edition (with the tree on the back of the cards) has been revised. However, I haven't heard from anyone who has seen it, as yet. I have some trust issues with the people involved, after their deceptive marketing of the Wildwood, and their sloppy copying of the Greenwood book, almost completely unchanged.

gregory

OK - does anyone here have the second edition ? What has it to say about the Archer, for instance ? The first edition described the Greenwood card, which bore no relation to the card in the Wildwood except that there is an archer on the card !

The Wildwood book I have says the archer is aiming at the sky - as she does in the Greenwood - when she is clearly aiming toward the ground ! If this has changed, it is at least a start... If there IS now a book that talks about THIS deck, I might actually go buy it !