Strength rx as what someone wants in a lover

CaliforniaVirgo

Hi everyone,

I have pondered this card for days and cannot come to a conclusion I like so I thought I would mention it. The spread was for a friend, using the gilded tarot, and in the position of "what she wants in a lover" she received strength rx.

Now, if it was upright I would have gone with her wanting a strong relationship/partnership or even wanting to feel like she had some control over it. In the reversed position, however, I am stumped. My first guess was that she doesn't want to be out of balance anymore. A majority of her past relationships have been very one-sided and maybe this card was showing that she doesn't want to continue being in that weakened position/vulnerable state? Her last relationship was emotionally abusive and perhaps this card is also showing that she doesn't want to be a victim anymore?

Any thoughts?

Thirteen

If this card is rx, meaning "blocked" then it would seem to me that this person doesn't want that beast side in her life at all. What she wants in a lover is someone who will never be a wild animal. When upright, this card indicates that the person sees the value in the lion wild, animal side and has no wish to tame, cage or change it. But given that it's not upright, I'd say that she's too clawed up, and tried of trying to get that animal side to see the value in her mild and civilized side--and so create an equal partnership.

So, no more lions. Not even if that lion is the nicest and best and most noble beast in the jungle. She'd rather the lion was caged and kept separate.

CaliforniaVirgo

If this card is rx, meaning "blocked" then it would seem to me that this person doesn't want that beast side in her life at all. What she wants in a lover is someone who will never be a wild animal. When upright, this card indicates that the person sees the value in the lion wild, animal side and has no wish to tame, cage or change it. But given that it's not upright, I'd say that she's too clawed up, and tried of trying to get that animal side to see the value in her mild and civilized side--and so create an equal partnership.

So, no more lions. Not even if that lion is the nicest and best and most noble beast in the jungle. She'd rather the lion was caged and kept separate.

Thanks for your input! A very interesting way of putting it, and it makes a lot of sense. This might be a great change for her in finding love, id say. If the types she was dating before weren't working, then time to switch it up!

Elven

When I see the Strength reversed for that question and in that placement, I wonder if she is ready for a new relationship just yet. Maybe she is pressuring herself into finding the 'perfect' situation and person, someone who will do all the right relationship things. I dont think she realizes that her view on what a relationship should be has changed, as she maybe still persuing similar people in similar ways to her last relationships which havent worked. I feel the card says she is prepositioned to want a partner to almost not be involved - and somehow that will bring about exactly what she was trying to avoid.

When I look at the actual image of the Strength RX, it looks to me like it just falls into a hole and neither can get out. She cannot punish new relationships because of the past ones.

CaliforniaVirgo

When I see the Strength reversed for that question and in that placement, I wonder if she is ready for a new relationship just yet. Maybe she is pressuring herself into finding the 'perfect' situation and person, someone who will do all the right relationship things. I dont think she realizes that her view on what a relationship should be has changed, as she maybe still persuing similar people in similar ways to her last relationships which havent worked. I feel the card says she is prepositioned to want a partner to almost not be involved - and somehow that will bring about exactly what she was trying to avoid.

When I look at the actual image of the Strength RX, it looks to me like it just falls into a hole and neither can get out. She cannot punish new relationships because of the past ones.

I have to see your interpretation is very fascinating. I am trying to see if it fits for her. I have known her for many years and she has always really wanted a partner; to the point where others feel it as desperate. I'm curious thought, why would she want a partner to Not be involved? A low self-worth thing?

Elven

I have to see your interpretation is very fascinating. I am trying to see if it fits for her. I have known her for many years and she has always really wanted a partner; to the point where others feel it as desperate. I'm curious thought, why would she want a partner to Not be involved? A low self-worth thing?

I think it has more to do with trust.
Back to look at the Strength card Reversed - control, influence, manipulation issues. The 'Not to be involved' could point to more a relationship which is a long-term based on friendship. Im not talking friendship with benefits - Im talking about a little piece of space in a serious relationship for her to get comfortable with while the relationship is developing. Maybe its the sheer confusions of how to achieve the balance of give and take, and to find that person.
I have more thoughts about the card, but they seem to be drifting into other areas away from the question and not relevant, so I'll leave it there :)

AnemoneRosie

I'd say that she wants vulnerability in her partner. She wants to the be the strong one in the relationship, and to have the other person be emotionally dependent on her.

I also see a potential for co-dependency here. The other cards would show that more clearly.

nisaba

I've avoided replying to this, but I keep coming back to the ides of rough sex: a little bit of restraint, perhaps, as a turn-on? Maybe previous partners have been a little *too* gentle for their tastes.

headincloud

Sometimes a dark night of the soul that has to be faced alone. The card warns of anxiety or ill health, depression and a need to pull back and tend to the self. Trying to add a partner to the mix would possibly be disastrous. This may just be a low period for her but if it represents an ongoing situation the negative way of thinking will cause further damage to her self esteem. Spiritual healing would be beneficial at this time. Possibly experiencing delayed shock or numbness and most certainly disappointment.

bonebeach

I'd say that she wants vulnerability in her partner. She wants to the be the strong one in the relationship, and to have the other person be emotionally dependent on her.

I love all the answers on here, but this is the one is exactly how I've read Strength reversed in a what does someone want from a lover/relationship spread before, and it was exactly the situation. Someone who wants to do the taming; someone who wants more control over the situation (than they've had previously). Given that your friend just got out of an abusive situation, it would make sense to want more control (for some people).

But in reading for a friend with a deck with standard imagery for this card, it might be worth outright asking--"do you want to be the lion or the lady?" And interpreting from there.