Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

tarotlova

really! tell me how you like it, does it read well? I am talking about Voyageur

So far so good! I have a really good feeling using this deck, you know that feeling when you buy a deck and you know you are going to connect well with it and get good readings. Yep that's what the Voyager will be for me I'm going to play around with it more today. I have the Oracle of Visions but am just not loving it, Dreams of Gai on the other hand wow, just wow!

Achlys

Golden Tarot by Liz Deane - this was my first deck, and I didn't realize until after the fact that there's a difference between illustrated/scenic minors and simple pip cards with just the number and suit. This made it too difficult to learn for a first deck. I'm a fan of the artwork for the majors at least l.

Honestly I hated this deck with a passion as well.
A friend of mine had gifted it to me and I felt so bad but I couldn't read with it at all. I didn't like the artwork and overall it was just a meh deck to me.
The first deck I ever got was also a Liz Dean deck. It was the one from her The Art of Tarot kit.
This deck just infuriated me. I really didn't like the art and the cardstock was terrible. The first time I tried shuffling it, I had a card rip on me. I've never had that happen since.
"Beginners in particular love it, as it offers an enchanting introduction to the ancient art of card-reading."
Yeah about that....

Owl Song

I can't say I have any regrets. I'm still glad I gave new decks a try, even the ones that didn't work for me personally:

Chrysalis Tarot (Still holding out hope that this amazing deck and I will gel someday!)
Beautiful Creatures Tarot
Llewellyn Tarot
Ceccoli Tarot
Vikings Tarot

On the plus side of not getting on with a deck, it's always nice to find a new home for it and make someone else happy.

It's interesting to hear about what works for one person and not for another. It's amazing the unique way we all connect to different things.

ShannonK

ooh! Me First!

Deviant Moon. I found it ugly and creepy. Had to force myself to look through the whole deck. :p

Thats one of my very favorite decks. :)

Espeon

Royal Tarot. Just got my copy today. When ordering it I thought "oh that's a nice variation of the TdM"...looked thru it a bit ago and UGH is all I can say. Thin, papery cardstock, and the art unsettles me. That Death card does NOT mess around. Lol.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

csmith0406

Royal Tarot. Just got my copy today. When ordering it I thought "oh that's a nice variation of the TdM"...looked thru it a bit ago and UGH is all I can say. Thin, papery cardstock, and the art unsettles me. That Death card does NOT mess around. Lol.

I just had a similar experience with the Hardy deck, the art is really not to my taste and as soon as I saw it in person I wondered what I had seen that attracted me. It did make for an amusing conversation with my sister though, as the deck is so obviously not one I would like!

Tamipie1

Deviant Moon...

I liked the images, I got the humor....It was simple to understand, I'm even a horror fan. It just didn't connect with me. Boo. Traded it though, and the other person really likes it.

Thought I hated the Ceccoli, but I spent a lot of time with it, trimmed the borders, and now I really love it...that was weird.

ShannonK

<grin> In the short-term I've been disappointed by some purchases, yes. But in the longer term, I don't think I've ever regretted a deck. M y dreadful Sacred Circle made a nice present to a dear friend who's deluded enough to love it. And her teenage daughter loves that dreadful Deviant Moon. There're about five others in my collection which are still waiting for the right person who will love them to come along.

I have a hard time with the sacred circle deck as well. Not impressed with the artwork at all. Also some of the cards confuse me due to the change of numbers and change. I pulled it out this morning and got a pretty on point reading, but I had to use the little white book to even know what certain cards were.
I love my deviant moon deck though.

ShannonK

A year ago I bought the quick and easy tarot, and about 5 minutes after opening it, I realized that it was a horrible choice. I thought when I bought it, that it would be a helpful way to learn the tarot, but the pictures were small and hard to see details, and I felt like the words on the cards really took away from the pictures. I ended up cutting the pictures out (yes with scissors) and using the pictures in my tarot binder that I have been putting together during my learning process.

Emme

Tarot of Nine Paths

I wish I had not spent so much money on Tarot of the Nine Paths. I find it incredibly difficult to connect with, and even the box it comes in is annoying as I have to pry it apart to even get the cards out...not that I use them enough to have that problem often.