a rule for reversed cards?

captaindan

i was just wondering is there any general or even loose rule given to reversed cards? first i was thinking that a reversed card would mean the negative to an upright card, but then again maybe not, is it the case of having a total separate meaning. and of learning 156 cards instead of 78. just at the moment I'm thinking 78 is plenty to learn is there a loose rule i can use for now until i get to know all the cards fully?

any help would be very appreciated

just feeling swamped with all the meanings, then all them again for the reversed

Tanga

Loose rule - hmmm. Dream on maybe.

... Every angle you can think of, that is a tangent away from the upright meaning perhaps?

Here's a little roundup of the wonderful possibilities of reversals (from Mary K. Greer - 'Tarot Reversals')
Blocked, delayed, difficult, unavailable, overturned, lacking,
excessive, unconscious, magical, unconventional, amended,
(and most interestingly) - the disease stimulus or the remedy.

captaindan

lol, ok think i get what your saying, thanks!

JackofWands

Benebell Wen uses an acronym to describe the easiest ways in which reversed cards can be read:

-A weakened version of the card's upright meaning (W)
-An inverted or opposite version of the card's upright meaning (I)
-A negative twist on the card (N)
-A delay in the actualization of the card's energy (D)

So, for example, the inverted Eight of Wands could be:

-A form of ambition and energy, but not quite as much as it would be if the card were upright;
-Stagnation and a lack of forward progress or motivation;
-Unhealthy ambition and careerism;
-Or the promise of growth down the line, but only after a long wait.

(There are other possible interpretations, of course, but the rule is one of the easy ways to access some of the potential facets of a reversed card.)

Hope this helps!

AnemoneRosie

My general rule is that I first look to see if it's giving advice. I read reversals quite often as a need (or opportunity) to revisit the card before as the lesson hasn't yet been learned, which is why you're blocked on this one.
For example, I've been getting the Five of Coins reversed lately. So that tells me that I've not yet learned the lesson of the Four of Coins and yet, because I'm finding it difficult, I'm trying to force moving on before I'm ready to do so. First I need to learn that Four of Coins lesson!

So that's my 'primary' way of reading reversals. You will find your favourite way, too.

Nemia

I found Wen's acronym WIND helpful, too.

The I (inversion) reminds me of a possible interpretation of reversed cards given here on AT - I think it was Nisaba's? A reversed card can mean that the energy flow is reversed. You're not on the defense - but others are on the defense against you for the 9/Wands. Or for the 3/Swords: it's not you who is disappointed and heartbroken - but you disappoint somebody else.

I used to read without reversals and for Thoth-y decks I still don't, but since reading Wen's book, I started using reversals on RSW style decks.

But the WIND aspects are shadow sides that I take into account depending on the spread position of a card even if it's upright. Each card has its dark underbelly - and its bright side too, of course.

Krakken

i was just wondering is there any general or even loose rule given to reversed cards? first i was thinking that a reversed card would mean the negative to an upright card, but then again maybe not, is it the case of having a total separate meaning. and of learning 156 cards instead of 78. just at the moment I'm thinking 78 is plenty to learn is there a loose rule i can use for now until i get to know all the cards fully?

any help would be very appreciated

just feeling swamped with all the meanings, then all them again for the reversed

I agree with some authors (i dont remember names) ... a reversal card is a weak, low energi version of the anterior one. a example... a six of wands (victory) in reverse is not a flat out "defeat". in this case the 5 wands energi takes over that 6 of wands= meaning... double challenge, the victory wont be easy at all, cause there´s more of one challege... etc.

that´s how it works for me.

Good luck. :)

LeFou

...is there a loose rule i can use for now until i get to know all the cards fully?

I would say a reversal is just a footnote, containing extra information. Personally, I feel it's pointless to memorize beyond that, but it's worthwhile to collect as many stories as you can.

If I'm reading for someone (really, for me it would be "with someone"), I will note any cards coming up reversed, but I make them upright, because some find Rx cards un-nerving. And the key is to be relaxed. Anyway, as we all know, even an upright card can end up equivalent to the reversed meaning (in a particular reading).

captaindan

thanks everyone for all the replies!!

i think i get what your all saying there is a lot of meanings you can take with a reversal, but ultimately you have to judge from the question and the lay out of the cards to point you in the right direction. and also experience!

i suppose I'm glad that it doesn't mean flat out negative though, and that a reversed positive card could be a let down to say the least. but just (may be) the full potential of the card not quite realised.
thanks again!

AnemoneRosie

Sometimes the reversed card is less harsh than the upright version of same. Such as Death (an incomplete transformation - might be good, might be a real challenge to deal with) or the Tower (less sudden/more planned change, or a slightly less all-encompassing one), or the Five of Coins (you have the support of others).

It really all depends... try not to see cards as good/bad, but rather - every card has both good and bad within it. All 78 cards can each describe a life situation to the fullest. Then reversals on top of that to highlight details and tell you where to focus your attention.