What book/movie worlds do you wish had Tarots?

devilkitty

Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels.

Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series.

Fiver

The tv show Fringe. OMG how epic that would be.

Scarlet Woodland

I'm still mourning the loss of the Buffy Tarot so a Whedonverse deck would have to be my number one. Discworld would be amazing too or Hitchhiker's guide :)

ETA: Ooh the Sookie Stackhouse Novels.

Philistine

On Twin Peaks, the Tarot of David Lynch would be amazing with that plus Mullholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, etc.

A Rocky Horror Picture Show tarot would be--ahem--pretty groovy. And I once tried to use the playing cards from the Clue board game as tarot cards, using the 1985 movie as background story. (Yeah, Tim Curry-obsessed over here.)

Donnie Darko would be an amazing tarot.

As for books, my taste is more canonical. Dickens' Bleak House. Moby-Dick. Many of the Shakespeare plays are chock full of archetypes and the exploration of human traits.

If anybody knows a puzzle book by Christopher Manson titled 'MAZE' from the '80s, that always intrigued me as a possibility for tarot.

I've been fiddling with a tarot project this year culled from TV and movies of the past. So far I have David Bowie from The Labyrinth as The Devil and Bea Arthur from The Golden Girls as the queen of swords, to give some examples.

mbazgrzacki

Cannonical Books - James Joyce's Ulysses and Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow are both contain numerous though subtle allusions to tarot imagery. Pynchon throws in some Kabbalistic terminology for good measure.

A Bowie deck would be quite feasible, he went through a Crowley phase in the early seventies, which shows in his acting role in The Man who fell to earth. A still from The Man Who Fell to Earth showing a Tree of life was used on the Station to Station album cover the following year.

Nick Roeg who directed The Man who fell to earth had with Donald Cammell in 1968 co written and directed Performance starring Mick Jagger. Cammell’s father knew Aleister Crowley had written a book on Crowley’s poetry.
The film does seem to go through the 22 cards quite neatly.

A Clockwork Orange is another film that does that.

Interestingly Nic Roeg was up for directing A Clockwork Orange with Mick Jagger playing the lead, but Kubrick who had been toying with the script for several years on hearing that another director was to take on the project suddenly decided to go ahead and direct the film himself. Perhaps it was the books Tarot references that attracted Kubrick to the project. Anthony Burgess (who owned six tarot decks) seems to have based the 3 * 7 chapter structure of A Clockwork Orange on the Tarot major arcana and Crowley’s 777 lighting flash zigzag path through the tree of life from Kether to Malchuth.

Lareia

Tales of Vesperia. Oh, how I would love a Tales of Vesperia deck. So much that I actually have an almost complete ToV concept for the Majors already... Aaah, art skills, why do you not match my imagination.

HallowedNight

Oh man, I probably have tons of these... I'm sure there's already one for Lord of the Rings, and one is currently being made with Pacific Rim, but I'd also love to see Mad Max: Fury Road (or any Mad Max really)...
Also the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, even though I haven't actually read those books in ages. And The Martian, though I've no idea what someone would actually do for that. :'P
And the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix would probably make absolutely gorgeous cards as well!

Teyata

As some here mentioned before, the Golden Compass series and Mists of Avalon series.

I also could see Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series featuring some zany intergalactic form of Tarot cards - skillfully designed by mice, of course!

JackofWands

Haven't read through the entire thread, so this may have already cropped up, but I'm going to throw Doctor Who into the mix.

There already exist a couple of Shakespeare Tarots, but I still feel that vein could be better mined.

I'm not a huge ASOIAF fan, but the universe would make a good Tarot deck, I agree.

And hell, let's add in Harry Potter, because while he always had such scorn for divination, it led him right in the end.