Tarot and human nature . . .

nord_drache

This thread is probably inspired by my other thread I just did and might even be considered an adjunct to it . . .
http://www.tarotforum.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=16

For the last while I have to admit I have been busy enough to not sit down and pursue our shared discipline.
I don't know if it makes me a fair weather tarot reader or its just part and parcel of human nature. Often we ignore the spiritual - which I believe the tarot is part of - until we have something that scares us or makes us pause and think and maybe pay attention to the spiritual for a while.
Maybe it has to do with us living is a technological age where we tend to have such great confidence in the power of man and therefore our selves . . .

Would anyone like to share their opinions / experiences please.
Thanks,
Jim

INIVEA

hi, just wanted to let you know your link doesn't work properly, it take you to the reply to thread.

no the actual thread to read.

nisaba

Human beiongs have lots of things they need to do in their lives, not just Tarot or spiritual stuff.

In fact, you can mount a case for the notion that we don't need to learn about spirituality in this life: we are physical beings in a physical world, so our tasks here are physical ones. Arguably, we are all spiritual beings anyway, just here to learn how The Other Half live.

Tanga

That's just human Jim. :)
<oops - I'm hearing an echoe of 'Bones' voice - from Star Trek... Lol>

I find when I've got a plethora of mundane things on my plate (too much of general life things to do) - my sensitivity and "hearing" for the "spiritual" or "other" becomes quiet or clouded.
I think it's a natural screening effect, so that I don't become even more loaded with other stuff.

And then of course I think of that Zen saying "meditate for at least 20 minutes at day - if you're too busy, then meditate for at least an hour a day". :)
Haven't quite got to the "increasing the amount" bit yet. Lol.

GotH

Human beiongs have lots of things they need to do in their lives, not just Tarot or spiritual stuff.

In fact, you can mount a case for the notion that we don't need to learn about spirituality in this life: we are physical beings in a physical world, so our tasks here are physical ones. Arguably, we are all spiritual beings anyway, just here to learn how The Other Half live.
<likes this>

I think I'll go have a cup of coffee then go for a bike ride and let go of anything spiritual for awhile.

dancing_moon

For me, there are two different questions touched upon in your post.

Perhaps, more than anything else, the sign of the technology age is this dichotomy between the 'physical' and the 'spiritual'. However, sitting on a cushion with your eyes closed is not necessarily more spiritual than washing the dishes. I think anything can be turned into a spiritual exercise or a practice in the mundane, it's mostly a matter of your approach.

Now, the fact that you haven't been practicing Tarot much lately is a different question, and could be due to a lot of reasons. Perhaps, your interest is currently elsewhere. Not practicing Tarot doesn't necessarily show your lack of care towards spirituality, only, perhaps, lack of sustained motivation to practice Tarot in particular. And that one usually comes and goes like a tide. At least, this is how it is with me. Only as the years go by, the periods of interest are becoming longer, with fewer and shorter breaks in between. :)

Tanga

...in fact, you can mount a case for the notion that we don't need to learn about spirituality in this life: we are physical beings in a physical world, so our tasks here are physical ones. Arguably, we are all spiritual beings anyway, just here to learn how The Other Half live.

Or - can we be physical beings learning to be physical and to realise that physicality IS spiritual ala dancing_moon here:
"However, sitting on a cushion with your eyes closed is not necessarily more spiritual than washing the dishes. I think anything can be turned into a spiritual exercise or a practice in the mundane, it's mostly a matter of your approach". <exactly this>

Adding a little "mindfulness" to anything can make it magic. :)

Re Tarot: perhaps you just need a break from it?
Sometimes I get to a point where my interest just veers somewhere else - usually because my brain needs a change of track for a while.

Lucas Prince of Cats

"However, sitting on a cushion with your eyes closed is not necessarily more spiritual than washing the dishes. I think anything can be turned into a spiritual exercise or a practice in the mundane, it's mostly a matter of your approach". <exactly this>

I like this line! for instance, I think that going for a ride, being happy, and maybe excepting the world is a kind of spiritual experience, but it may not be for others.

Tigerangel

Or - can we be physical beings learning to be physical and to realise that physicality IS spiritual ala dancing_moon here:

Re Tarot: perhaps you just need a break from it?
Sometimes I get to a point where my interest just veers somewhere else - usually because my brain needs a change of track for a while.

I like this line! for instance, I think that going for a ride, being happy, and maybe excepting the world is a kind of spiritual experience, but it may not be for others.

I agree anything can become a spiritual practice in your life if you want it too, even making a nice pot of stew :) and for the OP normal day life is busy, there's alot of things to do in a day, so not finding time just makes you a busy person for the moment and nothing to do with being a fair weather reader, doesn't matter how much or how little you can fit in, just so long as it fits in with what you want to too, I rarely find time for long mediations anymore, so I do it on the bus to work now.