Journaling the Thoth

Zephyros

In fact, if we're on the subject of writing and journaling about the Thoth, I have to admit that such a thing was never my intention. In fact, it was my express intention not to go deep into the deck. I had bought it and liked the look of it, but that's about it. Then I happened upon a copy of DuQuette's book about it and thought "I had better get a scrap of paper, to write down stuff to Google later."

That scrap evolved into the last few pages of a notebook I had lying around, then a dedicated notebook just for Thoth, and now I have hundreds upon hundreds of closely written pages in many different notebooks and folders. In them are personal notes, historical research, biblical exegesis, lots of stories from the mythologies of many different cultures, snatches of poems, allusions to literary figures, Wikipedia articles copied down, lots and lots of excerpts from the Book of Law, entire pages from the BoT copied, passages from the Talmud and Torah, excerpts from old grimoires and other occult literature, episodes from Crowley's life that might shed light on a card, quotes from Wang, Mathers, Fortune, Blavatsky and others, ... really, the list goes on and on. There are even a few recipes in there. What I wrote in my first post was just a general overview of what goes into studying a card. In actuality it goes in many different and unforeseen directions.

As a form of meditation, I like to sit down with a trusty Parker and just write, research, think and work things out. Just for myself and my understanding, since I doubt anyone could make sense of everything. But the deck really is an excellent medium to studying many different things you wouldn't think of in connection with Tarot.