Thoth Study Grp 2nd Thread ? Books

MystiqueMoonlight

Thanks Moondust for that inciteful information.

Just to add to your comments here are some other books which I found interesting in explaining the Qabala and the Tree of Life.

Witches Qabala by Ellen Cannon Reed ISBN 0-87728-880-1. (more of a Pagan viewpoint and very useful) It's a good starting point if you would like a broad based knowledge on this subject.

Other authors that go more in depth into the Qabala are:-

Dion Fortune - The Mystical Qabalah
Israel Regardie - Garden of Pomegranates
Gareth Knight - Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism
WE Butler - Magic and the Qabala.

I think having some knowledge of the Qabala and the Tree of Life will give you a new outlook over the Thoth deck and perhaps even better of use of the method of Tarot.

Blessed be.....

Dragonfly

Hi there everyone. Thank you all the info. now I just have to start looking everything up.

moondust

Thanks, MystiqueMoonlight, for the book suggestions, they look like a good selection. I don't have any books yet on this, so I am happy for some suggestions.
Particularly curious how you enjoyed the Dion Fortune one, I've read 2 of her novels (Sea Priestess and Moon Magic), they were unusual and intriguing and wonderful. They stay in your mind a long time after reading them. Wonder how you came away from reading her book on the Kabbalah?

Thanks
moondust

MystiqueMoonlight

HI Moondust and everyone,

Re Dion Fortune. I haven't quite gotten through all that one yet but will keep you posted.

Just wanted to share with you guys as a kind of adendum that because of the Thoth deck I have buried myself deep into study and I am actually studying 3 books at the moment in relation to this deck and the Tree of Life. As well as this the Thoth deck has inspired me to enrol into a School of Occult Science (which incidently Dion Fortune was the founding member). It will cover, amongst many other subjects, the Qabala and Tree of Life and will keep me busy for the next 5 years.

This deck is truly inspiring and I hope we cover more than the tip of the iceberg on this one as there are so many dynamics to it.

Blessed be.....

bellesmybaby

I bought the Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien first, thought it was lovely and had to get the cards. It seems to be very spiritual and introspective and may stray from Crowleys original intent and meaning for his cards. It's not near as indepth as others mentioned, not as far as readings go, it's more a tool for self discovery, introspection, personal growth, meditation and using the cards for affirmations. I'd love to join in on this group, can't buy any books right now but would love to glean info from those of you who do have some of the better books and i'd also love to share some from my book as well for a more inner perspective. Just let me know when you're gonna start and what card you'll be starting with and I'll share what I know. Thanks, Dee

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0874778956/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

bellesmybaby

OOPS

I answered an old post. Are you guys doing this study group? If so please direct me to a current thread and I'll join in.

Thanks

jema

i just ordered the "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot" by Banzhaf
from amazon marketplace. and i already got the Thoth book by Crowley and i got the deck.
i am all set:)
(or will be when the book gets here)

is there anyone here?

i tried to read the first chapters in the Thoth book but my mind kept drifting off. i'll make a new effort this week though.
but perhaps one doesn't really HAVE to read all of that book?
perhaps i can get away with reading just the card-descriptions?
*i wish*

jema

Maalin

Jema, would you be interested in starting the study group up again? If so, I'd like to join this time. Maybe we can find some others who'd be interested (some of the 'old crowd'?)

coldsuns

Where can i get the book in Singapore? Hm..whats the colour of the cover page? How many pages are there? How big is it? How much does it cost? Oh! How i hope someone will scan every pages for me to see -.-

jema

hi coldsuns,
the book of Thoth had a blue cover and i am afraid it is a bit big to scan.
i think you can buy it from amazon.com or another on-line shop or from your local bookshop, if they don't have it bookshops can usually order the book for you.
the ISBN for the book of Thoth is:
you can use that number to search for the book.

you can however find it as a pdf file (made to read through acrobat reader) here:
http://www.private.org.il/GD/Book_of_Thoth.pdf
but i do recommend that you buy the book since it is nice to have and will last longer then print-outs and you get to scribble notes in the margins too:)