The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck review thread

Count_Orloff

I also framed Miss Pamela's photo, which overlooks my reading table. It I could have only two decks, this one and the Anna. K. Hands down.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who tought that Pamela's photo deserves a nice frame :)

i didnt knew Anna.K. - Maybe a new one for my collection.

Bhavana

Right, yes, good morning Rodney :laugh:

We're in a bookstore and Competionist Extradinaire, who is at least two feet taller than I, reaches up and snags a set from the top of a bookcase and ah ha! It's Printed In Belgium! It's got the eat-my-own-tail snake on the box.

Into his collection it goes, of course. And what a surprise, the colors are NOTHING like the other Originals. I recall the words, "What did they do to it?!"

It's the Temperance Angel from Belgium who holds the beautiful Original.

I do like it better than the Centennial although the blindingly bright Roses and Lillies backs don't rock my boat.

what is the significance of the eat-my-own-tail snake? It is also on the cover of the new original RW with the lillies/roses backs on the USGames website - does anyone know if the new ones are also printed in Belgium?

caridwen

what is the significance of the eat-my-own-tail snake? It is also on the cover of the new original RW with the lillies/roses backs on the USGames website -

Eternal Return. A new beginning perpetually within the ending.

Laura Borealis

what is the significance of the eat-my-own-tail snake?

It's the Ouroboros.

I'm still dithering over this Centennial deck. The sticking point is the copyright on the border of every card. :mad:
Though I suppose one could trim the borders off... hmm.
ETA: No, the titles are far too close to the borders/corners on many cards.

Bhavana

well, finally got my Centennial deck this week. Don't anyone cringe, but I actually paid full price at Barnes&Noble. One of those moments when I just had to buy something, and it was that or that Celtic deck they always have in the discount section for 10 bucks... that I would have probably looked thru once and then stuck into the tarot drawer with all the other decks I really didn't want but gave in to one of those "i have to buy something" moments. At least with the PCS deck, I really wanted it - and I had a little extra money fall into my lap this week, so the price wasn't too painful.

As for the deck, it is scrumptious! The card stock is beautiful, love the thickness and the feel of it and the way the cards slide off of one another while shuffling. As others have mentioned, I think the image quality could have been better - in fact, I would have preferred more money went into that than into the pictures and box - I mean, do any of us really need ANOTHER Pictorial Key to the Tarot???? I could wallpaper a room with those dang things.

All in all, though, I am happy to have it, high price included. Now, what to buy with the rest of my unexpected cash???

Bhavana

I got my deck yesterday and I'm just getting to know it. I like it but I'm going to need some time to get used to the size of the cards, the printing (pretty but different from the standard mini version I have) etc. I'm not sure if I'm just being overly neurotic but are your decks "bendy"? What I mean is that my deck is already starting to develop a bend meaning the cards are slightly convex if you look at them from the back. Not that bad really and I believe it has to do with the cardboard they used. I'm just glad it bends the right way, if it was the other way around it might irritate me a bit. I discovered this when I accidentally pushed the deck with my finger while shuffling and the whole deck sort of "snapped". Hard to explain but I hope you understand.

Now I only have to find a bag (I wish I could find a nice Mucha bag for my deck too) and decide which book to read first. I have 78 degrees and several others and for the first time, Waite's book but I'm way too excited about the deck to decide which book to concentrate on. I could of course read the book about Pamela first. It seems very interesting.

Edit: By 'bent' I mean of course a 'warped' deck. I just noticed the same warping is happening to the covers of both of the books in the set and even to the insert that used to be on the back of the box... I guess it has to do with paper "quality". :(

My deck is pretty new, no problems so far - is it possible yours may have been exposed to any dampness? Maybe it was before you even purchased. I would contact USGames. I had a newly purchased warped deck - maybe Llewellyn? - and the company sent me another deck right away. If you don't want to do that, I have had some success with fixing warped decks....I occasionally will buy or swap for used decks if they are in very good shape, but have gotten a few slightly warped ones, and it drives me nuts when the cards don't lie flat. I split the deck into two piles of 39 cards each, then put them on top of my refrigerator, which is slightly warm, then put very very heavy books on top, leave them up there for a week or so, maybe turn the piles over and leave them up there a little longer. I know it sounds crazy, and I am not normally an anal person - but I like my cards to be perfect.

With a newer deck, though, I would just complain to USGames. It shouldn't warp, even with use.

greatdane

Image Quality

I understand what you're saying, Bhavana. Even though the images aren't as clear as we may be used to with many decks, it gives it an older feel to me, a more authentic feeling. I absolutely adore this deck. I so get what you're saying re the Pictorial Key. Yes, it's nice to have a copy, if one already didn't have one, but I don't use it.

I do love the pictures enclosed and one day would like to decoupage a wall or something with some of them! I have two of the Pamela books and one I want to leave intact, the other I would like to cut some pix from and do a kind of my OWN Pamela Commemorative re her work!

It is really nice to have her pic framed and overlooking my reading table!

rwcarter

Bhavana,

Check your Pictorial Key companion book to verify that it has the write-up on the World. The first printing of the set was missing that page. If you are missing that page, write to USG. They were quite helpful in replacing my book with a complete one instead of just sending me an errata page.

Bhavana

I understand what you're saying, Bhavana. Even though the images aren't as clear as we may be used to with many decks, it gives it an older feel to me, a more authentic feeling. I absolutely adore this deck. I so get what you're saying re the Pictorial Key. Yes, it's nice to have a copy, if one already didn't have one, but I don't use it.

I do love the pictures enclosed and one day would like to decoupage a wall or something with some of them! I have two of the Pamela books and one I want to leave intact, the other I would like to cut some pix from and do a kind of my OWN Pamela Commemorative re her work!

It is really nice to have her pic framed and overlooking my reading table!

I thought it would be nice as well to frame the similar work in individual frames, and hang them as a grouping, maybe with other small works of art that compliment them. The smaller size of the pics would also make them nice for decopaging wood boxes.. the pictures would be nice on the top lid of the box, then embellish/paint the rest of the box with designs that go with the picture.

I must say, the Pictorial Key in the Commem. set has a nicer cover than most of the others I have seen and have...so that is cool. And yes, I love the deck too, have been using it almost exclusively since I opened it...not sure about the rest of you, but I am becoming more and more interested in my RW decks, and use my others less and less.

Bhavana

Bhavana,

Check your Pictorial Key companion book to verify that it has the write-up on the World. The first printing of the set was missing that page. If you are missing that page, write to USG. They were quite helpful in replacing my book with a complete one instead of just sending me an errata page.

will do! Who knows how long my set has been sitting on that Barnes&Noble shelf. Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD -

THANK YOU again, VERY much - my Pic. Key does NOT have the World!! I probably never would have noticed if you had not brought it to my attention.....