10 of Swords as catharsis?

Rapiere

Hi, it would be really interesting to hear someone's take on this. I was doing a reading about a novel a friend is about to publish. I read it in strict confidence and actually thought it was brilliant, a wonderful piece of literature, it litterally gave me the goosebumps. The friend wanted to know what emotions the novel generates in the average reader, so I asked the cards. And got the 10 of Swords. Important note: the plot of the novel does not deal at all with tragedy or anything like that. It is actually really uplifting and optimistic, and highly philosophical. So I was wondering what the 10 of Swords might be saying about what emotions the novel generates.
I remember my own feeling of being crushed by how fantastically it is written. That could pretty much be a 10 of Swords impression. But I wanted to hear further opinions, cause I already read it and liked it and might be biased.

Enlightenment23

Is it possible that the book, in terms of how it's written, might be a dense read? I sometimes see the 10 as "excess" -- too much of something. And since it is the 10 of Swords, I see it translated, literally, as "too much thought" or "too many words."

The actual content might be too verbose and long-winded. Or too "Stylized" is the word I'm looking for, when the content could be a little bit more succinct or pithy. I get a sense of the reader having difficulties "wrapping their brain" around what the author is trying to say...and might get a headache in doing so lol. Not that it's not unclear, but that it's too "flowery" perhaps.

Calayvie

How does the book make you feel when you're finished?
10 of swords makes me think you've been on a huge mental/intellectual journey and the 10 of swords is kind of saying you've got to process this information in a productive way, and DO something with it, don't let it stagnate in your mind where it can become troublesome or toxic.
It needs to keep moving.

It sounds like it would be a great book. Very thought provoking to the point of changing your experience of life, and of those around you.

I haven't done many interpretations yet so I hope that sounds OK!

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

Rapiere

Is it possible that the book, in terms of how it's written, might be a dense read? I sometimes see the 10 as "excess" -- too much of something. And since it is the 10 of Swords, I see it translated, literally, as "too much thought" or "too many words."

The actual content might be too verbose and long-winded. Or too "Stylized" is the word I'm looking for, when the content could be a little bit more succinct or pithy. I get a sense of the reader having difficulties "wrapping their brain" around what the author is trying to say...and might get a headache in doing so lol. Not that it's not unclear, but that it's too "flowery" perhaps.

Thank you for replying! You might actually be right, the book is very intellectual and MAY, indeed, be smth of a dense read. However, it is quite succint, not too many words, no. But the swords are about thoughts and intellect, so it may definitely be indicating an abundance of thoughts that are hard to grasp...I would. however, see the 9 of Swords as such an impression, i think.

ana luisa

When the words are so many and so powerful, they overwhelm you. Surrendering to the text. .

Absynthe

The Ten of Swords for me has always meant a final and total end to something, more so than the Death card which tends to come up as a deeply internal change. So to say that, it could mean that reading that story in some way puts a final end to something in the reader's life. As if closure for them has been attained through the story. The ten of sword moments I've experienced were like a brief and sharp pain, followed immediately by a total sense of relief. As if the struggle I was drowning in is now over. So I agree that it's likely to be experienced cathartically.

lightsofblue

IndigoWaves

In my view, Pamela Colman Smith drew the RWS Ten of Swords figure with a soothing wave of blue/white water rising up over his back, rather than the red blood/cape that it's been typically coloured with... So, yes, catharsis comes to mind... Having fought a ferocious mental battle, the body finally collapses and surrenders to the sea... Troubles are slowly dissolved and life is eventually restored, stronger and wiser... With the 10 of Swords to describe a book, it sounds like a very intense and perhaps difficult read, but one that is ultimately renewing.

Rapiere

The replies here seem totally amazing...Thank you, everyone. I agree that there is the revealing moment of surrendering to the experience of reading (that's exactly what I felt) and also reaching closure for some mental issues. It is a worthy and powerful read, it is a RHYMED novel, actually and when I was reading it felt like some of the superb rhymes were litterally nailing me down.
I think looking at the 10 of Swords in such contexts really helps a lot. It makes us understand that the card is not always as negative as it is generally perceived. In terms of feelings, when hurt or betrayal is not implied, it could well mean intense feelings, those, that nail you to the ground.
I feel enlightened after reading those beautiful replies. Thank you and blessings to all!