Gold/Silver Baba decks. Favorites? Why?

Alta

Y'all must admit that they got it down with the Alice tarot....
Surely you jest! On AT 'everyone' will never 'admit' to any one thing!!! :D And I personally still think the BG Silver is the best of the metallically enhanced decks.

MissChiff

I would love to see the Bohemian Gothic silver in real life.... The people who have said its just magical... One day I'm sure...

The Happy Squirrel

I would love to see the Bohemian Gothic silver in real life.... The people who have said its just magical... One day I'm sure...

If the Alice has a gold shimmer effect that is immaculate in its subtlety and elegance, Bohemian Gothic silver, to me, suggested an effect that is very much like the appearance of printing on silver cards. If that make sense.

The Happy Squirrel

Not sure why I was underwhelmed by the BG Silver, although I rather liked it (maybe the disappointment was due to hype + collectors' price tag = unrealistic expectations). I may have mentioned this somewhere as well, if you consider Alice as one of these 'gold/silver' ones, my favourite is the Alice :)

The Happy Squirrel

Well, although it was my deck of choice for a long time and I loved reading with it, the size of the cards was too big for my hands and the card stock on both the VR Gold decks I had turned into floppy, limp things that were very unsatisfactory for shuffling. It was like trying to shuffle heavy fabric or something. On the other hand, I had both the BG regular and the BG silver and the card stock held up wonderfully on those. Karen said it was the same card stock used, but I don't see how it could have been.

My regret is that Baba Studios decks get snapped up in a feeding frenzy by those who can afford to buy a bunch of them at a time, to then reap sales of three figures or more when by rights, Baba Studios is the one who deserves at least some of the extra money, in my never so humble opinion. I've always felt that when people do that and make money hand over fist for their extra copies, they should, by all that's just and decent, give at least a percentage back to Baba Studios.

I realize I'm probably making some other members mad. I love them all, but I've still got my opinions for better or worse, but only in the spirit that I'd just clear my throat and glare at a kid getting extra desserts for supposed friends and then eating them all themselves. lol

I dunno about giving back to Baba, they aren't a non profit and doing that feels as 'wrong' as the price grabbing you mentioned :) Not that those things can truly be wrong or right of course :) In terms of ethics however, we can have a whole page and then some on the topic :p But I think you have put your finger on something I couldn't when I wondered to myself why I haven't been willing to pay above a certain amount of money for a deck no matter what.

Thanks for sharing about the card stock. If it is like Baba's Fairytale deck as mentioned, they must feel a bit .... 'Naked'....? As if they don't have any forms of coating on them?

The Happy Squirrel

That's actually not a bad description of the VR Gold stock, I think. :) But the closest I can come up with is another Baba first edition. Those old Baba decks that I have been lucky enough to touch --1st eds VR, BG, BBC, and (only edition) Fairytale-- seem all to have the same or similar cardstock. It's silky and feels a bit worn even when new.

My first impression when shuffling the Fairytale is that they feel a bit 'naked'. It felt a bit like shuffling papers. I bought the deck pre-loved but un-used from what I have been told. So I take it to be the character of this particular card stock.

FLizarraga

My regret is that Baba Studios decks get snapped up in a feeding frenzy by those who can afford to buy a bunch of them at a time, to then reap sales of three figures or more when by rights, Baba Studios is the one who deserves at least some of the extra money, in my never so humble opinion. I've always felt that when people do that and make money hand over fist for their extra copies, they should, by all that's just and decent, give at least a percentage back to Baba Studios.

I realize I'm probably making some other members mad. I love them all, but I've still got my opinions for better or worse, but only in the spirit that I'd just clear my throat and glare at a kid getting extra desserts for supposed friends and then eating them all themselves. lol

I'm with the Squirrel in the sense that Baba is hardly a non-profit, and they have been raising their prices along the years. Only criticism I can sincerely make: I LOVE them, and I'm sure their costs have also increased in time, and that's probably why they're moving to Ireland.

But I do agree with your main point, Grizabella. Although, in the end, that's the way of the world --the haves and the have nots and all that jazz. And there will always be speculation where there's money to be made.

Y'all must admit that they got it down with the Alice tarot....

I'm still not sure whether both Alice decks have metallic details, or only the special ed. Can anyone clarify that?

My first impression when shuffling the Fairytale is that they feel a bit 'naked'. It felt a bit like shuffling papers. I bought the deck pre-loved but un-used from what I have been told. So I take it to be the character of this particular card stock.

I personally wouldn't put it quite that way (I'd say they feel a little fragile and "worn," even when new), but I have heard them described more than once in precisely those terms. And Grizabella's observation makes me even more afraid to handle them

And I love the way you described the silver effect in the BGS. My VRG also feels a bit like that exquisite old gold shimmer is peeking from underneath, as if somehow comes from a deeper, more remote place than the rest of what you see.

The Happy Squirrel

And I love the way you described the silver effect in the BGS. My VRG also feels a bit like that exquisite old gold shimmer is peeking from underneath, as if somehow comes from a deeper, more remote place than the rest of what you see.

Interesting!

I still hope to buy a *reasonably priced* VR Gold one day :) Glad you got yours :)

Cocobird55

I got a VR Gold when it first came out, and I loved it. It is still my favorite deck. But the cards got too floppy to use, so I bought a couple of copies of the reissue.