Does anyone here use Harmonic charts?

RohanMenon

If so, how do you interpret them? Specifically the 9th harmonic

(good book recommendations are appreciated, but I looking for insights gained from experience, which I've found, are better than most books)

Barleywine

I was heavily involved with harmonic charts for a few years, but long ago now, so I can't give you any useful insights without rebooting all that. I even had a hard time finding the books on my shelf. The best one I can recommend is Harmonics in Astrology by John Addey, who was the "rising star" in that area when I was working with them. I also have Harmonics by James and Ruth Williamsen, but it's mainly just tables.

Minderwiz

I also have the Addey book and read it from cover to cover and back again. It's based on the modern view of aspects which is that they are the angular separation resulting from dividing the circle of 360 degrees by successive integers (2,3,4,5,6,7... no matter how silly the answer). This has largely been the view since Kepler introduced the so called minor aspects.

Originally things were different. The inventors of Horoscopic Astrology based the aspect on Optical theory as it stood at the time and identified but seven aspects, relating to the seven rays. (one opposition, two squares, two trines and two sextiles).

The very word 'aspect' involves being able to see or view something. Thus the 150 degree separation was originally treated as being something that could not be seen or was 'in aversion' to the viewer. Now it's called a quincunx but means the same thing - in original aspect theory the quincunx is an oxymoron (but note; not meaningless at all).

Clearly some of the 'harmonics' apply to both definitions ... the second, third, fourth and fifth correspond to opposition, trine, square and sextile. However there is no conceptual difference between a square to the left or a square to the right in modern theory, though it used to be a very important distinction, used in identifying the dominant planet in an aspect.

The harmonic approach also produces aspects with very little separation in angular terms and begs the question of whether such distinctions are meaningful. What is the real difference between angles of 40, 45, 51.43, 60, 72 and 90 degrees (division by 9,8,7,6,5 and 4) based on the divisor alone and ignoring sign factors such as element or mode ?

In the end I felt that unless a significant amount of modern Numerology was introduced, relating to the meaning of numbers, the harmonics were not rigorous enough based on divisor alone.

RohanMenon

Hmm Maybe I should get Addey's book

But it is horrendously expensive (100 $ on Amazon!) and shipping to India is a pain.
Still, noted and Thank You.

I don't plan to use these in my studies, but I was curious since Indian astrology gives the 9th harmonic a great deal of emphasis.

Barleywine

There is also the large (well, huge, I believe) body of statistical work by Michel and Francoise Gauquelin, but I never penetrated very far into it beyond their studies of athletes. Addey says they wrote works for the layman as well but I don't have any of them, and they may be in French.

RohanMenon

Thanks Barleywine

That looks more affordable

Minderwiz

But it is horrendously expensive (100 $ on Amazon!) and shipping to India is a pain.
Still, noted and Thank You.

I don't plan to use these in my studies, but I was curious since Indian astrology gives the 9th harmonic a great deal of emphasis.

You could try the Wessex Astrologer website for this (posthumously published)

http://www.wessexastrologer.com/Mer..._Code=WA&Product_Code=UTNSA001&Category_Code=

And this; which covers your thread on midpoints as well

http://www.wessexastrologer.com/Mer...e_Code=WA&Product_Code=CWWA001&Category_Code=

Or the Midheaven Bookshop which has the work in question and at a small fraction of the Amazon price

http://www.midheavenbooks.com/cgi-b...idpoints__Harmonics__and_Mundane_18.html#a190

Both these sources are excellent for a very wide range of books on Astrology, many that you will find very difficult to get from other sources

RohanMenon

Very useful MinderWiz

and thanks!

Barleywine

I completely forgot that I have Harmonic Charts, by David Hamblin, from 1983. I haven't checked on current availability.