Creating a deck or two for my setting, what direction to go?

acidrica

Hello! I'm currently developing a fantasy world/setting for some stories, and I thought it'd be a cool idea to make a deck or two for the setting.

Problem? I'm not sure whether to make it a deck based on the stories, or a deck that's made as a deck the characters might actually find and use.

Here is a link to an image I started on that would work for the former, once polished: http://38.media.tumblr.com/60f3b9112fa85b4f8dbba8108934883e/tumblr_nb8hpoZ4871ts0qfzo1_500.png - The Brothers

The issue is that I know more about my story characters, naturally, but I'd like to enrich my setting with cards that...could -be- a part of the setting. Maybe a part of the story?

So I guess I'm asking if I should take the easy route and do the deck as based on the stories, make a deck that could work -in- the stories, or do both?

In any case, I'd have to figure out what kind of art style my fantasy creatures would have, since there are no humans in this setting. Humanoid creatures, yes, but no humans.

The city that the stories take place in is a theocracy, and I'm not sure if said cards would be legal, or would incorporate images of the city religion and therefore be a part of religious practice.

I can explain more about my setting if people want. I'd like a card system that is a bit unique, but at the same time usable. I guess this would be classified as an oracle deck?

Thank you for looking! This deck will be mostly for me to use as a writing aid, but if my stories somehow get popular, I might print the deck in small amounts.

tarotbear

Thank you for looking! This deck will be mostly for me to use as a writing aid, but if my stories somehow get popular, I might print the deck in small amounts.

O.K. - but if you become popular you might be writing/adding more and more stores ... yes? If you were to create a deck based only on your first set of stores then the later stories would not be reflected in the deck ...? Based on this I would say 'a deck that's made as a deck the characters might actually find and use' might be the better idea ... although you could create a 'starter' deck and sell 'expansion packs' if everything really takes off.

Yes - this would be some kind of oracle deck.

acidrica

O.K. - but if you become popular you might be writing/adding more and more stores ... yes? If you were to create a deck based only on your first set of stores then the later stories would not be reflected in the deck ...? Based on this I would say 'a deck that's made as a deck the characters might actually find and use' might be the better idea ... although you could create a 'starter' deck and sell 'expansion packs' if everything really takes off.

Yes - this would be some kind of oracle deck.

Aha! That's a very good point! Plus the only thing I'd be getting from a deck based on the stories is a chance to draw my characters and such in a tarot-ish way, which...I can do anyway if I want. But making up an entirely new card system? Difficult, but it just might work. I may focus on the setting deck, and do the 'story' deck whenever I feel like it. The story deck might actually be a tarot deck, since I'd just be using images of my characters and areas and scenes, so I could do the whole majors and minors thing. Not so for a setting deck.

Now I just need to figure out...the entire oracle system. Ack, I have no idea where to get started. I only know tarot. I don't really have experience with oracle decks. :/

tarotbear

Now I just need to figure out...the entire oracle system. Ack, I have no idea where to get started. I only know tarot. I don't really have experience with oracle decks. :/

There is an entire section of the forum dedicated to Lenormands - perhaps you could start there ... })

reall

oh! I luv cards in games/fantasy/stories!^^:))) especially if not standard/human ch
(see fay tarot and deviant moon!:))))
imo best option combine!:)))
draw cards when you feel inspired and when you get enough number decide will it be tarot or original oracle developed for your story!^^ ;))) imo 2.opt is better because you wont be limited in any way!^^ and can change it in progress!^^ ;)))

best luck!^^ ;)))

acidrica

Here's a link to a wip of my first card (not the first in the deck, just the first I've started): https://33.media.tumblr.com/fee41c18618971a37c7fb336ec7f17ca/tumblr_ncv9znt1kD1ts0qfzo1_500.jpg

Niikar as the Manipulator, Niikar being one of the many deities in the setting. I'm thinking of -not- having the cards be labeled, and just have them be made of iconic (to the species) images that they would have learned in their heavily religious schools.

For example, Niikar is only shown with horns before her punishment for creating danger and the possibility of death. Still trying to figure out if the theocracy would consider this deck blasphemous or not...

acidrica

So I realize a problem

I am horrible at coming up with symbols. Does anyone know of any good resources for ah, the psychology of symbols?

Finch

I actually did exactly your second choice. I started by making a list of all the major "symbols" in the setting - elements, major spirits, archetypes, stuff like that. Then I practiced reading, both for characters and for other people, to see which cards worked and make sure I understood the meanings. It takes a while but it results in a workable oracle deck.