Card Storage, other smallish questions

HallowedNight

Well, I just got a gorgeous box for my Fantastical Creatures from an amazing fair trade store in town, so I'm really happy right now! It's big enough to hold my deck and it's velvet bag and a couple crystals, but small enough that it doesn't move around too much when I move it, so I'm super happy~ Plus the carvings on it are beautiful. :^D

toober

I always thought Pippenwycks made some interesting pouches and boxes to store cards in. They have an Etsy shop.

nord_drache

Hi From-Ashes . . .
Like everyone has said and as you are finding out this is a varied topic and as individual as we all are.
I currently use a box in the shape of a book and my main deck is wrapped in a scarf of my long past mom along with several crystals . . .

Having similar questions I ended up starting a tread as well in this area - with many more details too. . .

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=234455

You will find out that with the generosity of spirit that resides within this community that there are no smallish questions :D

Jim

Tarotphelia

If a deck comes with a sturdy box , (like Hay House quality), I will leave it in that . But other decks have to come out of their boxes and get into bags that I make myself . The average box is just too flimsy and over time is going to wear badly . Or the box is oversized and isn't practical . I will flatten the small , thin boxes out and store them separately in case I ever decide to sell the deck in the future , or just for the sake of maintaining collectible integrity .

I do have some great custom made boxes for certain decks . I don't think they are being made anymore , so I can't post a link to those . Those boxes usually get put in drawers unless I decide to display them , and the bags end up in what I call the Tower of Tarot - a tall , narrow bookshelf with 2 plastic bins per shelf to hold the bags upright .

Last week I finally got around to getting caught up with my bag making and got the last of the decks out of clear plastic zip lock bags . I made 41 bags ! (shock) 26 for me , one for my daughter , the rest for friends . Now in the interest of being able to find what I am looking for , I am going to organize the decks by category and maybe group some together in chests .

This is my bunch of goddess decks in a dollar store box I plan to decorate in the future :
https://www.facebook.com/tarotpheli...41828.676724765745727/900514270033441/?type=1

And these are a few of the ones I made using appliqued fabric pieces :
https://www.facebook.com/tarotpheli...41828.676724765745727/899957870089081/?type=1

From-Ashes

I put them back in their original packaging box.
I don't like to put them in pouch, though that might change in the future.
I like to smell my cards.

I like to smell mine, too. :)

I don't have time to individually reply but thanks for all of the links and stuff! I am starting to wonder if I might want/need to make something new for my deck.

LindaMechele

If a deck comes with a sturdy box , (like Hay House quality), I will leave it in that . But other decks have to come out of their boxes and get into bags that I make myself . The average box is just too flimsy and over time is going to wear badly . Or the box is oversized and isn't practical . I will flatten the small , thin boxes out and store them separately in case I ever decide to sell the deck in the future , or just for the sake of maintaining collectible integrity.
I've started doing this, too. I ran out of bags! :joke: And realized that some of the boxes really are nice, like the one for the Book of Thoth Etteilla that looks like an antique book. And sturdy, bottoms constructed in a way that they're flat instead of having that tab that cards always hang on when you put them back in.

And those bags are FABULOUS!!! Where do you find fabric, Tarotphelia? Do you order it online? I'm in the process of finding a good online fabric source since the local shops don't have anything like what I want, which is the sort just like your bags.