Im not sure how my tarot deck feels about me....

tarotot_yeezus

I also wonder why the question 'what it thinks about our relationship' was asked in the first place. I always take it by default that any half-conscious creature that comes into my life has some affinity with me, otherwise it simply wouldn't be there. :)

I picked that question because I read an article about ways to get to know your deck and that was one of the questions that the article recommended asking.
To answer Krakken's question, I asked before I started my tarot journal, but the next time I interview my deck I will definitely post it to Your Readings to get an opinion on my draw!

I think there's definitely some accuracy in what everyone is saying about my own personal feelings toward my deck and my uncertainty about my reading abilities. I only started tarot recently and I still have a hard time trusting in my own interpretation because I'm still learning. Maybe with time my confidence will grow and my relationship with my deck will get better! I just need to be more confident. I also definitely have a hard time reading for myself, so this is something to work on too!

Thank you guys so much for all your suggestions! I definitely feel way better about it and I'll start putting your suggestions into practice!

LindaMechele

You're welcome, Tarotot (cute name), and good for you for keeping on with it. (BTW, the card meanings here at Aeclectic are great for learning. Have you seen them? The Fool's Journey story for the Major Arcana is terrific!)

One last tip, something that helped me a lot with my confidence (and still does) - I take a photo of each of my readings, label it with question and date, then write out my interpretation so I can come back to it after some time has passed. It's a great confidence booster when you see later how accurate your readings really are. Even when things don't seem to have turned out the way the cards said, I learn a lot when I look closer, even looking up the meanings again if I have to. More often than not the cards were right and I just missed it the first time.

The Evernote phone app is oh so handy for this - just open the app, start a note, add a photo, and start typing. LOVE that. If you don't like typing on your phone, just upload the image into the note, save it, open it up on your CP and type from there. AND if you ever do readings for friends, you can record it the same way and email it to them. How cool is THAT?! Yeah, I love that thing.

SwordOfTruth

I got my first tarot deck about a month ago. Its a standard Rider-Waite, so I felt comfortable buying it without having read reviews or really shopping around. Its great for learning on, but I get a sense that it doesn't really like me. Ive done a few tarot deck interviews with it and whenever I ask what it thinks of our relationship, I tend to get rather businesslike or discouraging answers. I cleansed it recently and I've been keeping it in a special bag with lavender and rosemary and I've felt a little more positivity when I handle it/do readings, but I was wondering what you guys do in this situation? Am I being silly or is this a thing that others have experienced?

I learned with a RWS deck but I never felt very attached to it and eventually left tarot altogether and picked up oracle decks that had imagery which appealed to me. I did keep my eye out periodically though for a particularly appealing tarot deck because I find tarot has a complexity that can't be achieved with many oracle decks. The traditional imagery was never very evocative for me and led me to hate certain cards when they appeared and giving them particularly negative connotations. Not good for clarity.

It was only yesterday that I found a tarot deck I really love. The imagery is just right and I loved this deck the instant I touched the cards and looked at each picture. I find it easy to simply look at each card and then divine right away the implied meanings, it's position and relationships to other cards. It's taken away the feeling that I was mechanically, rather than intuitively reading the cards.

I guess the answer is find the deck that suits you. Traditional imagery is good for some people, not so much for others. The deck I have I've noted to be a deck that a fair number of people can't connect to. Horses for courses.

tarotot_yeezus

Sword of Truth, you make a good point. I like the RWS and the Universal, but I have my eye on the Legend of Zelda deck - that game/fantasy world have a lot of personal significance for me so I feel that I will have a pretty easy time with it once I finally have the money to order it. I hope that I feel strongly connected to it when it finally arrives!

What deck did you get that had such a strong connection for you? Did you do anything special to connect with it when you first got it?