Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

Philippe

Attachments

• 1751Burdel.jpg
    1751Burdel.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 238

3ill.yazi

I am VERY confused :rolleyes: :confused:

Going to have a cup of tea and some biscuits, things always look clearer after tea and chocolate biscuits :D

I think I can help.

Your Burdel, which I believe is the recent one published by Yves, is a picture-perfect reproduction. The Burdel that many people have experienced --correct me if I'm wrong, nutty-- are reproductions that simplified the lines a bit, as in the Lo Scarbeo Universal TdM deck. I have also found this Burdel unappealing. The lines look sloppy and scattered.

I think that's what's going on.

2xz4ue8.jpg

nuttyprofessor

Yes, I bought it from bol.com (an european amazon). They didn't even have the Grimaud version.

Richard

It's important to distinguish between facsimile and restored decks. A facsimile is a photo reproduction of a deck made from an original set of woodblocks. A restoration is a re-creation of such a deck, with the imperfections (due to worn woodblocks or sloppy coloring or wear and tear on the deck itself) corrected by intelligent guessing of what a pristine original might have looked like.

I find the restorations easier to read (as well as easier on the eyes), although Yves' facsimiles generally are excellent.

The Grimaud is a restoration of the Conver. The forthcoming Millennium Edition is an original TdM inspired by various decks, such as the Pierre Madenié. Both the CBD and the ISIS are restorations of the Conver. Both are beautiful, but I think the ISIS colors and facial expressions may be more accurate, although it substitutes color shading in place of hash marks.

Although it is slightly more primitive and controversial than some of the other restoratons, I find the Grimaud to be entirely satisfactory. I think its popularity testifies to its ease of use.

firecatpickles

Richard and I are polar opposites here.

I prefer the rough-around-the-edges facsimiles, like the Thunder Bay Press TdM. I think the book has been updated with a better one. When I got it about ten years ago, I chucked the book because it was so bad. The set was also $7.99, presumably for a reason.

I would love to buy the Bursten/Lee set just for the book :) If I were getting a new deck, I would go for the Lee, not for the restored deck but for the book :)

MissChiff

Richard and I are polar opposites here.

I prefer the rough-around-the-edges facsimiles, like the Thunder Bay Press TdM. I think the book has been updated with a better one. When I got it about ten years ago, I chucked the book because it was so bad. The set was also $7.99, presumably for a reason.

I would love to buy the Bursten/Lee set just for the book :) If I were getting a new deck, I would go for the Lee, not for the restored deck but for the book :)

I lucked out and found a new set on eBay for $20.00 no one else bid on it...I think they assumed it was only the deck...score! I had no idea they were on Amazon I could have gotten it a lot sooner..

3ill.yazi

I lucked out and found a new set on eBay for $20.00 no one else bid on it...I think they assumed it was only the deck...score! I had no idea they were on eBay duh!!

Yeah, I've seen it pop up now and again on Ebay. I found it locally and purchased it for the book, though I have warmed to the deck. I actually think the colorizing of the background saves it a little for me, as un-historical as that is.

Re the Grimaud: that would probably be my go-to deck, but I find the blue hair distracting. I love my Noblet. The most expensive deck I own, and most used.

Emily

I did order a Grimaud - it is the white box Waddingtons one from 1973, Ancien Tarot de Marseille. It was cheap from an Amazon marketplace seller.

It has limited colours - blue, red, yellow, green and a beige but the artwork is attractive and very different from the Burdel. The titles are English only no French, I usually only like to see French but they look OK but it is a really thick deck, got no idea how I'm going to shuffle them. :) But it is a nice deck.