Seasons of the suits

Sophie

King of Pentacles

Wizzle, it might be consistent with ripe grapes in some very southern part of the Southern Hemisphere that grows grapes...Chile or Argentina. So our King of Pentacles is an Argentine, maybe :)

I see ripe grapes, I think grape harvest - for me, that's October. I don't need the sun sign of the king to fit the time of year of the card. I read the picture.

(and btw - many people see this King as a Capricorn - another contradiction with the image. Amazing how some people will interpret exactly the reverse of what is shown on cards!)

poivre

I can see where I may be wrong for the RWS cards. I posted here
because I read with RWS.

Started by learning a Mah Jong spread where winter was in the North
and I think was earth. I'm an earth sign so Pentacles made sense.
Next I had a lesson of learning upgrading with words with relatives a Libra and an Aquarius who lived east of me, so Swords were easy to remember that way.
Pentacles support Cups and the lake in the summer, made sense with water.
Fire people are warm and colour of the fall leaves are orange,
made sense. Fire supports Swords. Each suit across from supporting suit.

Now this is not the RWS way and I understand this with the
astrology part of things NOW.

Thanks for your posts, but I won't change my mind! LOL

tarotbear

Helvetica said:
The trouble I have with some of these attributions - and this one in particular - is that they contradict directly the image on the RWS. How can I look at a card full of ripe grapes, lush vines & roses, and think "winter"?

Of course, in those decks where the creator has deliberately worked in those attributions, they work very well (e.g. the DruidCraft). But they don't work with the RWS. Pentacles are obviously set around harvest time - between August and October (for the grapes) in the Northern Hemisphere, and between February & April in the Southern Hemisphere.

I always tell my students to work within whatever deck they enjoy using. Of course, if the card with lush grapes appears - how could you say 'winter' just because your fav dack/artist saw it that way? One has to 'go with the flow.'

jojojo

confusing....

I didn't realise there would be so many contradicting views - I guess it shows there is no right or wrong...I know which one I am leaning towards at the moment that just feels right and have done a couple of spreads with timing questions...so when the event happens I will know which season goes with which suit for me!!!

One more question....ok, spring, summer, autumn, winter - I get that 3 months (12 weeks) would cover each season for the whole year. For me in the Northern Hemisphere mid summer is June 24th - so would summer be from the 13th May-5th August??

Emeraldgirl

I only started associaing the seasons with the suits after getting the Buckland Romani Deck. The seasons are as follows:

Swords - winter
Wands - Autum
Pentacles - Spring
Cups - Summer