Reading reversals vs readings images of the cards

ivanna

I do not read reversals, but I think I should do it, as maybe I'm loosing half of the story not using reversals.
But, when I read, after getting the "book meanings" I do an intuitive reading, I look to the faces of the cards, l see where are those faces lookin to, if they face the future, or if they look at the past, and so on, and I think that if I use reversals, I wont be able to do this, as the card will be reversed.
How do you do it?

Haley

I do not read reversals, but I think I should do it, as maybe I'm loosing half of the story not using reversals.
But, when I read, after getting the "book meanings" I do an intuitive reading, I look to the faces of the cards, l see where are those faces lookin to, if they face the future, or if they look at the past, and so on, and I think that if I use reversals, I wont be able to do this, as the card will be reversed.
How do you do it?

That's an interesting point and images are important to understanding the tarot cards. I do use reversals and read them as such because a reversal can totally change the meaning of the card.

ana luisa

Great question! I also use directional techniques (looking right/left/upwards/downwards) but, to be honest, I also do reversals and the principle remains the same… give you an example, let's take the Ace of wands from the Anna k. Tarot :
http://www.annak-tarot.at/Anna_Englisch/arkana_kl_e/rods_e/rods01_e.html
She is clearly moving to the right (future) AND to the card that is on its right as well. If the card were a difficult one, she would be moving into a difficult phase. Now, et's imagine it reversed. (sorry, I am too dumb to do actually do it and paste it here…). The girl then would be facing left. She would be going towards past experiences and, judging from her position on the and, her chances of "falling" dare much higher then. See ? The reversal added an extra layer and still allowed for the directional approach.
having said that, do not feel forced to use reversals. It took me a gazillion of years to actually WANT to do it. Now, all my decks are shuffled for reversals… Even the oracle ones.:)

nisaba

<curiously> Who told you that? Are your readings not working?

How do you do it?

I found reversals were a useful prop whilst I was learning - I used them for maybe the first couple of years. After that I didn't need them. It sounds as though you don't, either. Why force yourself to do something you don't need to do, if it interferes with something that you do that works for you?