Using Old, Valuable or Hard-to-Replace Decks

Barleywine

I own a few OOP decks but nothing extremely rare. I draw the line at bringing them to public readings, but otherwise I use all of them from time to time, very carefully. My workhorse decks for public and private use are all readily replaceable.

Alta

Good points above.

The only deck that I have that won't use is the Storm as there were only 50 copies ever published and it is pretty well just on unlaminated paper. I keep it in plastic sleeves but enjoy looking at it.

Le Fanu makes a good point about decks coming back into print, which makes most of us happy because we can either get a back-up or get a deck that we never thought we would own.

I also think about the dying and relatives throwing out what I value. I doubt I have a lot of time left and really what's the point of saving something for.... what? Enjoy your stuff: if it breaks, it breaks.

Annabelle

I have no qualms about handling and using the vast majority of my collection, including many decks that are/were expensive, OOP, hard-to-find, etc. That includes all of my Baba Studio tarots, the Greenwood, and other such decks.

The only ones that I don't use, and try not to handle often, are those that are physically fragile and that I probably could not replace. David's Tarot falls into that category. Anything hand-painted falls into that category (there's one I have that comes to mind, but I can't remember the name offhand -- maybe it's the Alma Jo?).

I don't (yet) have any decks of true historical significance -- but someday when I do own a Pam A :)cool3:), I seriously doubt I'd use it for readings.

Grizabella

I use all of my decks, even the ones out of print. A few of them I don't use as much, like the Tarot of Ceremonial Magic, because I haven't figured them out yet. But I use all my cards with respect and care so I don't worry about them being harmed. :)

If one of my decks I'm using is not replaceable and I love it, I just make sure I'm the only one who shuffles it, but if it's a fairly easy one to replace, I don't mind the sitter shuffling. I read a lot online these days so having others shuffle my cards isn't really a problem. :)

Maru

I wonder if like video games, if you own the media already, if it would be technically legal to download a copy in order to "replace" the hard copy in case of scratches to the CD, etc... if the same can be done with Tarot.

I'm sure you'd have to get it scanned in at a high enough DPI and have it reprinted in decent quality have appropriate bleeds, etc. Costly and time consuming, but if you love the deck, totally worth it.

That's what I would do if I loved the deck that much and it was a primary deck. Make a copy in advance.

rylla

Absolutely! I don't buy a deck just to keep it on the shelf. I am using any deck I feel like using without any distinction. I don't have it as a rule but those 2 point RiverRunsDeep mentioned I apply for all my decks (exception: if I read to a friend I still do the shuffling but the person do the cutting - so s/he touches the cards briefly). I handle my cards always with care (and respect :)) and they don't show sign of wear (especially that I don't think I have any deck that I used more than 10 time).

Barleywine

Absolutely! I don't buy a deck just to keep it on the shelf.

I think that's the key idea for me. I'm a practitioner, not a collector. I wouldn't consider buying a deck just to "own" it, but I do keep some decks just for my own personal use so they don't get worn or damaged through excessive handling.

AnemoneRosie

The most difficult deck for me to use is the Tarot of the Cloisters. It's not even the most valuable deck that I own (that might be Victorian Flower Oracle, which I use) but to me it's so breathtakingly beautiful that I never feel that my situations do it justice.

SunChariot

I tend to believe that things shouldn't be locked away in the cupboard (unless you're a Collector proper) - they should be used and enjoyed. However I'm struggling with this with a couple of my decks. I keep looking longingly at the Tarot de Paris but I don't want to spoil it. So it stays in its box.

Do you have special decks that you actually use?

Have you had a special deck that you've used and that has lasted well, or have you regretted letting it wear?

I use all my decks. Although I have 120 decks, I don't keep a deck if I don't mean to use it. I am not a collector in that sense.

I believe very much what you said. That things shouldn't be locked away in the cupboard. That Tarot decks are meant to bring joy and be touched and create wonder in us. And to show us the magic in life and to help us help others.

I have had two very expensive decks (meaning over $100.00). I still use one of them often. The other I did not get on that well with so I gave it to a friend. To me it would be a waste to spend a lot of money on something and then choose to not get the benefit from it.

To me, that would be like going to an expensive restaurant, ordering something you know you love.... And then just choosing to look at it, instead of eating it. To me it's a waste not to use it. And you're just depriving yourself of the joy in that. I'd personally prefer to letting a deck get used enough to look worn, than never using it at all. I deck that would get used that often, did some good in the world...enlightened others, helped them solve problems and just made the world a better place in some way. That would give me satisfaction to know it. If it would just sit there unused (for me as I am not a collector) I would regret buying it.

I have to say though that all my decks are lasting pretty well. I have been reading about 15 years right now and really all my decks are in good shape. I think that is the result of choosing to have so many and using them all. It's like each deck gets used once a year or less. :grin:

I do notice in my very first deck that it FEELS differently. Smoother and actually nicer. But it doesn't look any different at all.

Babs

Cocobird55

I used my Victorian Romantic Gold daily for over a year, and wore it out. When the new version came out, I bought two, just to make sure I'd have a back up. My original is in a special place to honor it.