Splitting deck for a reading?

feminine_mystique

I'm interested to know if any of you split the deck for a reading and use the cards that happen to be on that specific split instead of reading it from the top of the deck.

I did this by accident the other night and I found the cards that I kept getting in each "split" were accurate.

Yet so were the ones on the top.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Ace

I used to do this as part of each reading. I would split the deck into thirds (actually, have the querent do that.) and Read the bottom of the parts as past (at the bottom) present (in the middle) and future (top). The end result was a great warm up for the reading AND very accurate.

Barb

feminine_mystique

This is interesting.

Have you ever done a full reading just doing splits?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ace

This is interesting.

Have you ever done a full reading just doing splits?

No, but I am sure it could be done. Why not?

When I am at a party and reading in a hurry, I spread the cards and have people pick 3 out at random. From all over the deck. Why can't we split the deck and get the same result?

I believe that whatever card we pick will give us the message we need to receive and that sometimes the RIGHT card will be picked--even if it seems to be at random.

barb

Barleywine

I agree that, no matter how you do it, you're going to get appropriate results. The way I usually cut and re-stack, the top of the bottom third is what I draw from, so mixing it up in other ways wouldn't be out of the question. Drawing from a "fan" is equally valid. Throwing all of the cards on the table helter-skelter and randomly picking up a few for the reading would probably do as well. The first step of the first operation of the Opening of the Key spread is another formal example of "splits."

SunChariot

I'm interested to know if any of you split the deck for a reading and use the cards that happen to be on that specific split instead of reading it from the top of the deck.

I did this by accident the other night and I found the cards that I kept getting in each "split" were accurate.

Yet so were the ones on the top.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

No, I don't personally split the deck. Although the way I currently do things has changed and evolved a number of times over the years. And all methods I tried worked equally well. That taught me that it doesn't really matter which methods we use to pull the cards. All would wok if that is the method that we chose to use for the reading. (you do have to choose before ding the reading though, in my experience).

Currently all I do is, once the deck is shuffled..close my eyes and hold the deck face up before me.Then FEEL through the deck and take out the cards that FEEL energetically like they are meant to be the right ones. Those are the ones i read.

Babs

Grizabella

Kind of another twist on this is the Tarot of the Secret Forest that has images on both sides of the cards. On one side is the black and white sketch of the image that appears on the card's color side. It might seem as though this would interfere with drawing cards because you can see the image in black and white on the backs but that hasn't been a problem for me so far. The LWB in this deck suggests turning a segment of the cards around so that you're drawing the black and white side in the reading now and then along with some with the colored sides facing. It would be interesting, I think, to not only turn a small segment of the deck over so some cards would appear in black and white and some in color, but then also using reversals at the same time. When I give it a try, I'll post about it.

I've heard of lots of people who read from cut cards, just reading the bottom card of each cut. I haven't tried it yet but I'll do that one of these days.

Astraea

I used to think that this mattered, but no longer. Currently, I split the deck once and deal off the top of the second half - but only because it satisfies some personal esthetic, not because I think it is *right*. The cards would yield comparable messages if I shuffled and dealt off the top of the full pack. Some readers don't even shuffle!

My working assumption is that a divination deck is holographic, such that each card contains the others and yields specific meanings according to the triune context of the reader's intention, the querent's need, and the layout. It's very similar to astrology, in that way: Grasping the significance of one planet/house combination permits access to the chart, rather like entering a physical abode through any of its windows - once you're inside, you can examine each room. This is a visceral experience, and confidence grows as you watch the dynamic unfold over time.

feminine_mystique

Kind of another twist on this is the Tarot of the Secret Forest that has images on both sides of the cards. On one side is the black and white sketch of the image that appears on the card's color side. It might seem as though this would interfere with drawing cards because you can see the image in black and white on the backs but that hasn't been a problem for me so far. The LWB in this deck suggests turning a segment of the cards around so that you're drawing the black and white side in the reading now and then along with some with the colored sides facing. It would be interesting, I think, to not only turn a small segment of the deck over so some cards would appear in black and white and some in color, but then also using reversals at the same time. When I give it a try, I'll post about it.

I've heard of lots of people who read from cut cards, just reading the bottom card of each cut. I haven't tried it yet but I'll do that one of these days.
Ooooh. This is something I'm interested in actually. Pictures on both sides of the cards eh.. does that get confusing though?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Tanga

Why not?

I think I change where I deal my cards from every few months.