I wonder anyone else has noticed this----

Onaorkal

Wow it really sounds like an interesting exercice to practice! I also need to do something with my hands while watching tv (I usually knit) so this could work for me! Can't wait to try it! :)

Insect Reflection

One of the ways I broke in my Shadowscapes was asking it about Shakespeare plays. I remember asking about the plot of Hamlet and drawing the 10 of swords as the "outcome".

For some reason I find this hilarious. It does seem that Tarot and Shakespeare specifically would go very well together.

celticnoodle

Further to my previous post where I mentioned drawing cards real time as the show played, I've also done it to predict a movie plot before seeing it. Nothing complex, just a few cards, and it's been accurate. It's a lot of fun to use cards like this!

It is a lot of fun and is truly a great way to learn to read the cards - or, as in most of our cases, to keep the reading of the cards fun practice! Often times, you come to see a card in a very different way too.

Wow it really sounds like an interesting exercice to practice! I also need to do something with my hands while watching tv (I usually knit) so this could work for me! Can't wait to try it! :)

same here. I am always doing at least 2 things at once and need to keep my hands busy. Generally when I am sitting, I am shuffling cards or putting the cards into order by suit and number. Even when riding in a car as a passenger---I'll have a deck of cards to play with.

It is a great way to practice with the cards though and funny that Griz' post here was about a murder show as I have often used the cards while watching murder mysteries and have it figured out in time for the ending myself. :D

HeidiLynn

First of all.. YAY! Another Song of Ice and Fire fan!

Second.. When I'm watching Game of Thrones or any tv at all really, I'm generally crocheting.
I tend to have to focus on my cards when I have them out. I'll put on music, light a candle and give then my whole attention.

That said, I have done random 3, 5 or 7 card spreads asking about the hero's journey in a movie I'm about to watch or a book I'm about to read.
And I leave the spread out do that I can see it as the movie goes.. And I've had the same thing happen where I will have cards laid out that match or predict the plot points of the book or movie exactly.

It is a fun way to practice and the immediate knowledge of whether you're correct or not is nice, I rarely get feedback from people (although I've had them start to avoid me, so I assume I read their correctly and it freaked them out lol) so being able to read for shows and movies allows me to fine tune the various meanings in my card notebook; as well as allowing me to practice reading cards in pairs and with the elemental aspects.

MandMaud

That's an excellent point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I find that my mind strays a lot of the time when I'm shuffling. I'm going to make it a point from now on to repeat the question in my mind over and over as I shuffle. Also, since I now use dealing the deck out in four piles to make sure the deck is completely randomized between readings, I'll also focus on the question at that stage of the procedure, too.

I find that when my mind starts to wander, sometimes that indicates I've "done" as much focusing as needed and it's time to draw the cards. I have a terribly butterflying, "ooh-shiny" mind - but when I really have trouble focusing and centring for shuffling, I use a technique I read on some thread here when I was very new to the cards (and I wish I knew whose suggestion it was): visualise my higher self as a larger "body" around my own body, and my higher self's arms around my physical arms - sort of cradling me (facing the same way) - letting the arms slip into my physical ones, inhabit my arms if you know what I mean. Very soon, usually immediately, I feel myself tune in. (For me it's a physical vertigo and tingling, as if my mind is falling out of the top of my head - different for everyone I suppose, since it's not a sensation to be felt physically).

I tried readings on something I was watching or reading, when I was a beginner (because I saw it recommended for learning), but found I can't read on fiction. But I haven't tried absent-mindedly shuffling while watching and so I will... if I ever get round to watching anything again. Haven't for ages! It's been waiting till I find my crochet paraphernalia as, like Onaorkal et al, I can't watch without having something for my hands to do. :) I do "absently" shuffle while reading these forums, sometimes. Haven't for a while. I don't so much draw a sequence of cards when doing this, as cut the deck and look at one, but I remember it being pertinent either to what I'm reading - if I'm getting involved, engaged with it - or to my own state of mind.