Do you hesitate to use Expensive Decks??

JylliM

I confess that I hesitate to use my Alice Tarot and my Tarot of Prague 3rd edition. I don't want to ruin them as they're so gorgeous with their metallic highlights. I don't want to put their durability to the test in any big way, so I'm very careful when handling them, which isn't all that often.

brknarow22

I find myself hesitant to use my expensive decks, (that I did not buy for a high price) but are valuable. My husband bought a blushing fool,pre copyright edition Rider Deck in late 60's early 70's and had stored away for our 30+ years of marriage, which I unburied about 10 years ago. I bought at the time a new Quest Tarot in 2008, I have no idea why and forgot I even bought it lol, when I was first looking into tarot. It was a few years when I started looking into Tarot again, and I discovered this deck is now OOP and valuable! I have now bought several more decks and seriously studying tarot, now into Marseille. I do find myself hesitant though to use an expensive deck. For me the cut off was about $50.00, until I find myself now considering independent decks that are 69.00! However, it does make me wonder how free I will feel using a more expensive deck compared to a mass produced inexpensive deck.

What is your cut-off point for an "expensive" deck that causes you pause? Do you feel differently ie more comfortable, casual, relaxed using an inexpensive vs expensive deck? I know that the definition of "Expensive" is individual, so please share your views and experience :) What do you consider an Expensive deck ?
thanks
Personally I do not hesitate although it is all about I we connect. I have some more pricey decks that I do not read as well with and some less expensive that I get along with well. I am careful with them all. I can't say I get rid of them( ummm maybe a new year resolution here) . If they are not working for readings I use them to study / meditation.

decan

I haven't decks really too expensive, like for example $200 and more. Nevertheless I paid a bit more than the usual price for one or two decks.

Consciously I don't think that I have hesitations to use them.
But concretely I have to recognize that I don't use them much. Maybe it's something unconscious, I am afraid to damage them or something like that.

celticnoodle

I wouldn't hesitate using my expensive decks. I have the Fairy Tale by Lisa Hunt and do use it, and the Quest tarot too--and a few others that are now quite expensive. The Quest was one of my fave decks till the Robin Wood came into my hands.

But, no--they would not just sit on the shelf because I didn't purchase these decks for a future pay out. I purchased htem because I was drawn to them and I liked them. I use all my antiques because in my home, things that are here are used. I have a set of china that is over 100 years old and I still bring them out as well. Everything we purchase is done so for use. So, we use them and enjoy them and I will continue to do so with my cards as well.