The Sacrifice Required

Barleywine

As I've mentioned, I've been reading Paul Fenton-Smith's Tarot Masterclass. In it he has a seven-card spread that covers much of the same ground as my favorite spread, the Celtic Cross. But one position stuck out for me in particular: "The Sacrifice Required."

In thinking about how I might fit this into my CC model, I decided that, since I see the 7th position (Waite's "Self") in the same light as Eden Gray's "Fears" but have modified the meaning to recognize it as a "reaction" of the Self (querent) to the "Near Future" card, a "required sacrifice" fits my assumptions. The way I see it, if the "Near Future" card shows new developments entering the querent's life, the next card in the series should show either a positive or negative adjustment to that situation. Since change often brings psychological discomfort, I've come down on the side of "negative reinforcement" (self-doubt, pessimism, resistance to change, "your own worst enemy, etc) as an elaboration of "Fears." So if the "Near Future" is imposing different conditions on the querent, having to sacrifice something to accommodate them is always a possibility.

Does anyone else deal specifically with the idea of "a required sacrifice" in any of their spreads?

barefootlife

Not in the CC, but I've been using this spread a lot lately as a sort of State of the Union spread. Here's the image straight from my notebook because it doesn't lend well to trying to express with numbers and spaces.

http://i.imgur.com/DsqGXvM.jpg

Not super complex, but very adaptable and thus far it's been very illuminating and satisfying for the people I've read for.

Barleywine

Not in the CC, but I've been using this spread a lot lately as a sort of State of the Union spread. Here's the image straight from my notebook because it doesn't lend well to trying to express with numbers and spaces.

Not super complex, but very adaptable and thus far it's been very illuminating and satisfying for the people I've read for.

Thanks! The fifth position as the "sacrifice" position makes sense. Are two "guidance" cards normal, or is one a clarifier?

barefootlife

Thanks! The fifth position as the "sacrifice" position makes sense. Are two "guidance" cards normal, or is one a clarifier?

Most of the time, only one card is really needed, but sometimes a clarifier or oracle card helps. It often ends up being a 'what lens should you be applying to this situation' card. A lot of arcana and courts end up there, or a 'sum-up' of the reading.

Metafizzypop

I noticed that there's a typo in the title of this thread, Barley. Why don't you ask one of the mods to fix.......

oh, wait.

Barleywine

I noticed that there's a typo in the title of this thread, Barley. Why don't you ask one of the mods to fix.......

oh, wait.

I don't seem to have full privileges yet. I did some training on that, but it looks like the "tools" drop-down has been momentarily truncated from the one I used in the "Test" module. I did try.

Lee

Nice spread, thanks for posting it! I switched the positions of cards 3 and 4 so that the "hidden" could be underneath.

Grizabella

" So if the "Near Future" is imposing different conditions on the querent, having to sacrifice something to accommodate them is always a possibility.

Does anyone else deal specifically with the idea of "a required sacrifice" in any of their spreads?

I hadn't thought about this before but thanks for the idea. "Required sacrifice" is a good position to use. You're right that, psychologically speaking, whenever there's a new partner or a shift of one partner's goals or actions within a relationship, then the other people around them require sacrifice to allow for the change. I'm going to add that position to my readings. :)

Alta

Yes, I use a spread set in a spiral form and one of the positions is Sacrifice, or what you have to give up. It also includes two positions: What you draw into the situation and what you try to push out of the situation.

I find these kinds of positions to be revealing.