Tarot and Kabbala

Huck

kapoore said:
Hi Huck,
I applaud your knowledge of the playing cards beginning in the 14th Century onward. I actually have some copies of early German playing cards that I copied from an art book in the art history library. So, I can picture these earliest cards and their lovely drawings. I'm assuming you have read, A Wicked Pack of Cards by Ronald Decker, DePaulis and Dummet. Also, I am sure you have read A History of the Occult Tarot, which was the second volume of the series.

Do you agree with these authors? Obviously, you disagree with them on some points, and what are your reasons for disagreement? Of course, they are here writing about Tarot, not about playing cards in general; but you and I are also writing about Trumps (specifically of the Tarotish type) as well. Commenting on Dummet's two books might give us some common ground.

I have both books, and page numbers would be helpful.

"Wicked pack of Cards" is a good book, as far I can judge it. Well, I don't talk about the introduction, which isn't really the central theme. It's about the period, which more or less is not the major topic of Trionfi.com and probably will not become one. I hadn't opportunity to read "A History of the Occult Tarot", but from the description I assume, that it's also not a topic of Trionfi.com.

Generally the themes of these elder Tarot historians (inclusive the connected museums) and Trionfi.com not overlap too much. Trionfi.com has its focus on 14th/15th century developments, they did take their topics to greater parts from other centuries.
For our meeting in the topic of 15th century: They collected the pictures, formed some theories and laid some foundations. We try to understand their ideas and to know about their conclusions ... and then we go on to topics, which they never thought of.
For certain reasons of their experience, their connections to museums and to the established institution of the IPSC (International Playing Card Society) they've still occasionally the better informations, but this our weakness will probably solved with the advancing time.

Dummett avoided once a discussion about the 5x14-theory, Depaulis was somehow difficult and not necessary compatible to us (although Ross has some relation to him), Decker once in 1974 himself had ideas about a 5x14-structure, but didn't follow the theme, as far we know.

http://www.geocities.com/autorbis/commentdecker.html

All three signed the "Wicked Pack of Cards", 1996, and this contains a crucifying sentence, p. 25:

"But the Tarot pack had certainly been standardised, as regards the number and identity, as regards the number and identity of cards, by 1450: the archetypal form was that which resulted from this standardisation."

They could have made this conclusion only by dating the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo Tarocchi around this date, and avoiding to think too much about the circumstance, that this deck was painted by two different painters. Or it had been a global "blub", as it often occurs in situations, in which one cannot tell too much about the situation.

Michael Dummett recently reformed his earlier considerations in a sort of essay "Six 15th century Tarot cards. Who painted them?" (about 10 pages) in "artibus and historiae" (No 56, 2007). He suggests now, that the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo Tarocchi were made by Bonifacio Bembo and one of his brothers, Benedetto. According this never cards had been lost, simply two partners working on the same project and that somehow in the begin of the 1460's. "The pack must therefore have been painted in the early 1460s. It may have been made for Bianca Maria, or she may have inherited from her husband; in either case she gave it to Cremona during the two years between his death and hers. On the hypothesis that Benedetto painted the six cards, there is no need to suppose the original versions of them to have been lost or damaged: We have the original versions."

As far I can see it from a few incomplete copies (last page missing) he makes no reference of Trionfi.com ... although he published in the last years a book together with John McLeod, who had various contacts to us. So he might have noted, that there are serious discussions around this point. ... .-) .. Instead of this he kills the Cicognara story a third or fourth time, something, which isn't really a topic anymore since longer time.

The trouble probably is, that nobody of them can (or is willing to) really deal with internet, instead of this they use printed media, made for a small cycle of mostly old men.

Well it stands, that the issue "But the Tarot pack had certainly been standardised, as regards the number and identity, as regards the number and identity of cards, by 1450: the archetypal form was that which resulted from this standardisation." is from the perspective of the 5x14-theory simply nonsense, and Dummett's recent suggestion not betters the case.

... :) ... there are worlds between us. Complex single researches with special topics had been build up meanwhile on the 5x14-theory, a lot of work, which wasn't done without reason.

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
Well it stands, that the issue "But the Tarot pack had certainly been standardised, as regards the number and identity, as regards the number and identity of cards, by 1450: the archetypal form was that which resulted from this standardisation." is from the perspective of the 5x14-theory simply nonsense, and Dummett's recent suggestion not betters the case.

... :) ... there are worlds between us. Complex single researches with special topics had been build up meanwhile on the 5x14-theory, a lot of work, which wasn't done without reason.

I don't know that Michael Dummett knows about the 5x14 theory. I have heard he doesn't use the internet, so if he knows anything about trionfi.com, it is second-hand at best.

This statement from WPC (Wicked Pack of Cards) seems to be Dummett's judging by the phrasing and style. His attention to the "number and identity" of the cards alludes to his belief that the Visconti di Modrone (Cary Yale) was probably the first tarot, or a version of it. This means it had 88 cards (or 89 if the Fool were included, which he wasn't sure of in 1980). Already in 1980 he speculated that the "standard" form, represented by the Visconti-Sforza (or Pierpont Morgan Bergamo), was made by taking out the two female knights and valets of each suit, and taking out the 3 Theological virtues from the trumps - thus resulted the "archetypal" form, or the standard 78 card Tarot.

The date of this standardization, 1450, was no doubt chosen because of the permission to play "triumphum" in Florence in 1450, as well as Francesco Sforza's order to buy some packs in December of the same year - this indicates that the game was known in a wide area and was available "retail", suggesting that a standard form existed. Perhaps most importantly, 1450 has been considered the earliest possible date for the Visconti-Sforza pack.

The 5x14 theory has now appeared in print, unattributed - e.g. in Giordano Berti's book "Storia dei tarocchi", 2007. I have also seen it noted on the web, also unattributed (I can't remember where at the moment, but he also talks about the 14 figures of Sagramoro without citing where it came from). The same author is careful to cite *printed* sources, so I can only suggest that there is a widespread sense that internet information is "free of attribution" and doesn't need to be properly credited.

My own reading of the data leads me to believe that the standard form of 21 Trumps and a Fool, and 56 suited cards, already existed by 1442, and went by the name "Trionfo/Triumphum" (or plural, Trionfi, but that may only have been a collective name for the cards, not the game itself).

This is based on the documented spread of the game in the first few decades, and the fact that, taken together, the surviving gilded, luxury cards show every standard subject except for the Devil. These cards are arguably all dated before 1473, and except for the Este (possibly 1473), there is nothing preventing them all having been made before 1460 (with the exception of some Visconti-Sforza copies). Also, the Steele Sermon can be dated before 1470 as well (although obviously this isn't certain without knowing the rest of the manuscript, and the surviving copy is written on paper whose watermarks suggest 1500).

Marcello's way of talking about his first pack of Trump cards seems to me indicate a standard as well. He regards them as unfit as a gift for a Queen, so he goes off to look for "those who makes these things". This means there *were* makers, and that each deck was not a unique creation with a different design (number and subjects) for a specific occasion. Sforza's request, three years later, reinforces that impression, since he asks for "the finest" quality of Triumph cards to be sent to him "as soon as" the letter is received, and if they can't be found, to send regular cards, also of the finest quality. In other words, he knows that there are shops with these cards already made, ready to be sold - i.e. these are standard, retail objects.

The strongest piece of direct evidence for the 5x14 theory may be the 1457 Ferrara reference to "70 cards", which is, as I have said, a datum that every commentator *must* deal with. As far as I know, no one but Autorbis, Michael Hurst, and myself have offered explanations (or excuses, as the case may be). In any case, the number is noted, but the composition of the pack is not described, so the fact must be interpreted in some way - i.e. it's not a slam dunk for the 5x14 theory.

The 14 Bonifacio Bembo trumps have traditionally been explained as the remnants of a lost "complete" set. Lately, as Huck noted, Dummett has suggested that the pack is simply one made by two different artists - that no cards have been lost. I am not aware of any critical appraisal of Dummett's theory yet. As Huck notes, these kinds of things appear in various paper journals and do not reach a wide audience.

Ross

kapoore

Kapoore tries to battle the knight of the 5x14 deck

Hi Ross,
You have really leveled the playing field for me with your comments, which I could not possively have made as this is not my turf. I have copied some notes from the A Wicked Pack of Card by Ronald decker, Thierry DePaulis & Michael Dummet (1996 St. Martin's Press).

To Huck:

Where you might agree with Michael Dummet and WPC (wicked pack..)
l. The Trumps from the outset were part of a composite deck. This is due to the presence in the Bibliotheque National in Paris of a hand painted suit of 17 that includes a court card.
2. Tarot is a family of games which are: a. trick taking b. have a trump suit & follow a counter clockwise order with a lead card d. subsequent players follow lead e. if no trump is played the highest card wins f. the Fool has no number & does not count, but when played releases the player from following suit g. the point of the game is to take tricks & to win points from cards--card counting essential as in bridge g. bidding did not exist (this follows the idea that Trumps are very similar to bridge).
3. By 1450 less wealthy sections of society had taken up the game
4. Trumps have no numerals. Numbering began in Ferrara and then moved to Florence. (Note that by the late 15th Century Trumps are widespread in Italy)
5. The idea of adding a Trump suit spread more quickly then the Triumphi game itself.
6. The word Triomphe appears in France as early as 1480
7. Karnoffel, the first trump taking game played with the 4 pack suit has no resemblance to Tarot save for trick taking
8. Karnoffel players continued to refer to the "Trump" suit as the "chosen" up until the 19th Century. Thus the word Trump did not come from Karnoffel.
9 It is unlikely that the Tarot of Marseille was invented in France.
10. Tarot ordering of cards varied up until the 18th Century as the Jaques Vieville pack retained the Lombard ordering.
11. Exoteric meaning, that is, names are given to the cards. For example, the later Montebank was originally a traveling merchant. (now that is a significant fact for me--the juggler and the merchant--both mix and match)
12 In the early cards the Popess wears a habit.
13. The early name for Lovers card is simply Love
14. The early name for Hermit is Old man, Hunchback, and Time
15. The Tower is called fire, lightening, and hell.
16. Judgment is Angel.
17. The Marseille World card with the figure in the mandorla is very unconventional in terms of popular art.

Now we move on to the edicts and notes on Triumphs. 1450-Milan, 1450 Florence, edicts in 1460, 1477, 1488, 1489. An anonymous sermon probably delivered in 1480s. In 1456 Ferrarese jurist Urgo Trotti.

I think that we can assume that these edicts did not stop people from playing cards as there doesn't seem to be a tapering off of play with cards but rather the opposite. I think the edicts are significant as they indicate the widespread play, which would argue for a standardized game--otherwise wouldn't the edicts have to explain exactly what variety of Trumps were being banished.

Anyway, Huck, you have to think of the anarchic condition that existed throughout the 15th Century in Italy--travel is horrific, plagues raged, gangs of youth ravaged cities and stole brides at the altar, the powerful had private armies, peace never lasted for long, and even the curia had ladies in waiting. Sometimes I get the impression that you think of 15th Century Italy as sort of like 20th Century Italy (quaint but friendly). I recommend you read Memoirs of a Renaissance Pope at http://www.archive.org/details/memoirsofarenais009394mbp or even more revealing if not shocking read http:..www.press.umich.edu/pdg/047209944.pdf Perhaps some of the ladies of the curia were like those ladies of the court playing cards--ladies of the court/ or curia were not sweet and nice little girls. This is a memoir of a young man who has ambitions in the curia, but he says that at least it isn't the court of one of the nobles who were notorious for their cruelty while at the curia it was more irony. I won't shock the innocents of the forum with the lurid details--you have to dig them up yourself...

Despite warring nobles, plagues, impossible travel conditions (not unlike Mexican roads in the 21st century where cities have armies guarding the entrance--no really--and that was two years ago, imagine today with the drug wars), urban gangsters, and periodic starvation; the Trump game became widespread to every corner of Italy by 1480. This I feel argues against your 5x14 theory. Touche..

Huck

The year 1450 knows 3 entries about Trionfi card productions:

1. Ferrara

Leonello paid the painter Sagramoro for 3 Trionfi decks at 16th of March. The price was unusual cheap, in the range of the cheap decks, that the two boys got in mid of 1442. It's the first recorded Trionfi production since mid of 1442 ... from mid 1442 till 1450 there is no other record.

General the recorded production of playing cards (other than Trionfi decks) in Ferrara is very low in this time. There are notes from 1443 (Imperatori crds) and a single isolated entry from 1446.
This has a correspondence in time with increased playing card prohibition tendencies in Florence, also it's synchron to the final political success of pope Eugen IV (ca. 1444/45), who is favoring the Franciscans, which are guided by persons as San Bernardino (burnt cards) and St. Capristanus (burnt cards). A further point is the marriage of Leonello with the daughter of Alfonso V of Aragon in Naples. The biograph Bisticci confirmed, that Alfonso had been engaged against card playing.

There is reason to assume, that any playing card production had been slowed down in the period 1443 - 1450.

Actually this were the dramatic conditions of the deal between Sagramoro and Leonello:

At 25th of February Francesco Sforza was successful to conquer Milan, which he (in an act of militaric surprize) had attempted to siege since December. In the following weeks in Milan around 5000 inhabitants might have died of hunger. Sforza's quick success was not predictable from the perspective of Ferrara and Leonello.

At 16th of March Leonello bought the cheap decks from Sagramoro.

At 25th of March Leonello was in Milan to visit the triumphal entry of Sforza in the city.

One may conclude, that the 3 bought decks were in a hectical, quick acting way intended to serve as a guest present from Leonello to Sforza, a form of congratulation to his success. Leonello hadn't time to do more ... one has to calculate, that the news of Milan must have reached Ferrara, that it was necessary to get some confirmation, that this was a sure victory, that it must have been reported, where and when the festivity was arranged and it had to be organized, that a greater group of persons of Ferrara attended the spectacle and still there are in these processes distances to bridge, maybe a greater group of persons might take a few days to get from Ferrara to Milan.

It was a very quick action, and it was not the time to produce 3 playing card decks ... Leonello bought 3 cheap decks (1 Lira Marchesana), similar cheap as the 2 boys (about 1/2 Lira Marcesana) got in mid 1442.

These cheap decks might have this story ...

Leonello ordered 4 Trionfi decks in January 1442 (very short after his father's death, which is a clear sign, that the Trionfi were meant to present Leonello as a new ruler). The decks were ready in February 1442 and were paid then to Sagramoro, the painter.
It seems, that Sagramoro made at this opportunity a further edition of the same motifs on his own costs, which he offered on the general market for a cheaper price. It seems, that he engaged the merchant Marchioni Burdochi for the trading activities.
Leonello became Signore of Ferrara in 1442, but he was only an illegal son of Niccolo ... for this reasons the mother of his half brothers Ercole and Sigismondo (both with "legal" rights) protested, and some trouble arose around this question, which ended with the result, that the mother of the both boys had to leave the Ferrarese court. It seems, that in a generous peace-keeping action Leonello arranged, that the two boys (9 and 11 years old) got ALSO their own Trionfi deck in a later action, simply bought from the merchant Marchione Burdochi.

Then the market for Trionfi decks slowed down. Sagramoro possibly still had a few decks of this earlier cheap production in his possession.

In the year 1450 he had opportunity to sell them. As this were his last editions or cause this was all very urgent, he got a higher price for them.

The year 1450 became a great year. The Italians started to consider about peace and it was a Jubiliee year with much pilgrims, which spend a lot of money. A lot of festivities were arranged, the whole mental climate changed from the feeling as it was common below Pope Eugens reignment to that of the new Pope Nicholas, who had great interests in books and was generally a pleasant man (Eugen died already in 1447, but the years 1448/49 were filled with the war Milan/Venice, so the Nicholas factor couldn't work so easily).

The feeling was great in this year and all were happy, but a peste came and alone in Milan it's said, that 30.000 people died). But generally, it was a year with triumphal moments and this caused the development of Trionfi cards.

Florence

In December 1450 we've the Florence allowance for Trionfi as a card game beside other card games ... generally it was so, that the reigning Medici clan was on the side of Sforza and welcomed his victory (which doesn't mean, that all Florentians had the same opinion, but in 1450 the Medici reigned). Cosimo hoped for a new alliance Milan/Florence and as in Milan card playing was not as strongly prohibited as in Florence, so he probably engaged to get less rigid prohibitions also in Florence. In Florence we have peace negotiations in this late year, and it might be, that this new city law with some card playing allowances in December, happened especially in regard to some triumphal festivities for this not really perfect peace.

However ... it's observable, that Florence dropped after 1450 into an anti-Medici phase, at least the Medici lost their great influence till ca. 1458. The then reigning conservative party probably was less interested to allow card playing, probably they found other ways to fight against it.

In 1463 the same law was repeated in Florence (with the inclusion of two new games) ... perhaps one should say, it was "renewed", because we really don't have any confirmation, that there was much playing activity (or card production) in Florence.
Indeed we know, that St. Capristanus went to Germany and there he became the strongest hit against German playing card production, that the relatively liberal conditions had ever seen, between 1453-1456, still working till ca. 1460.
For the general European climate one has to calculate, that the fall of Constantinople came as a shock in 1453, and this determined some not very successful crusader tendencies in the following years and even decades.

We know, that Milanese (probably) and Ferrarese positive playing card behaviour were stable in the 50's (prohibitions never had much influence), but I would assume, that the somewhat sensible society of Florence was different in this time. Playing cards came back to influence in Florence with the youth of Lorenzo de Medici, I tend to assume ...

So far I'm not willing to accept, that too much came from Florence in the year 1450 ... no doubt, there was something, but the general aspects of the time lets me think, that the tendency was partly against.

* 1450 - spring 1452: Jubilee year, festivities, Emperor visit, Emperor marriage

* mid 1452: a dropdown with the return of the Italian wars with a shock cause of the Fall of Constantinopel

* Peace of Lodi, spring 1454: with a following mini mass production of Trionfi cards in Ferrara, probably meant to accompany the marriage between Beatrice d'Este and Tristano Sforza (the only marriage connection between Ferrara/Milan in the early period)
Since then Trionfi cards are really estanblished for Milan/Ferrara

* but conservative reignment in Florence till ca. 1458

3. Milan (Sforza letters)

The famous Sforza letters appear also in December 1450, parallel to the Florence allowance. Francesco Sforza is in Lodi (30 km of Milan), probably he avoids the peste in Milan. If we believe the 30.000 deaths in Milan in 1450, he actually lives for the moment inside a catastrophe of some greater dimension. As peste usually arrived in summer, maybe it's already going, but the whole situation in Milan should have been a little unruled and provisional.

He wishes to have some Trionfi cards, but he gets none. Probably he intends to have some for the coming Christmas activities, a general time for playing inside the Sforza family later. In the first letter he needs them probably for an event at the 13th of December (would be nice to know which event this was) ...

In October 1450 Leonello d'Este (Ferara) had died, in November Sforza made a contract with Ludovico Gonzaga (Mantova). Carlo Gonzaga (Ludovico's brother, always a foe to his brother), seems to have protested and is prisoned ...

.. .-) ... well, I've to disrupt my argumentation, but it should interest you, Ross, that I've found a series of Sforza-letters, two of them Gonzaga related, which I noted especially.

9th of November, 1450
http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/missive/documenti/2.804/?view=ricerca

17th of December, 1450
http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/missive/documenti/2.1209/?view=ricerca

1000,s of Sforza letters, researchable, mostly from the early time of his reignment. The order of the Register is not perfect, but I found the 2 card letters of December 1450. Unluckily nothing from the Malatesta letter in 1452 ...

Here's the Register page
http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/missive/registri/

Huck

kapoore said:
Hi Ross,
You have really leveled the playing field for me with your comments, which I could not possively have made as this is not my turf. I have copied some notes from the A Wicked Pack of Card by Ronald decker, Thierry DePaulis & Michael Dummet (1996 St. Martin's Press).

... I take you at the word, that these are the statements of WPC ... I don't recognize them. Perhaps you used the register.

"Where you might agree with Michael Dummet and WPC (wicked pack..)"
l. The Trumps from the outset were part of a composite deck. This is due to the presence in the Bibliotheque National in Paris of a hand painted suit of 17 that includes a court card.

*** no problem

2. Tarot is a family of games which are: a. trick taking b. have a trump suit & follow a counter clockwise order with a lead card d. subsequent players follow lead e. if no trump is played the highest card wins f. the Fool has no number & does not count, but when played releases the player from following suit g. the point of the game is to take tricks & to win points from cards--card counting essential as in bridge g. bidding did not exist (this follows the idea that Trumps are very similar to bridge).

*** np

3. By 1450 less wealthy sections of society had taken up the game

*** The lowest price for a deck we know of was about an 1/2 Lira Marchesana. Lower servants at the court might have earned 1-2 Lira in a month (all data from Ferrara 1476). A common nobleman may have had ca. 20, mostly he had to pay two servants and a horse with this salary. A very high official might have had about 80, above the high officials were only closer relatives of the reigning head. So 1/2 Lira isn't really "cheap".

4. Trumps have no numerals. Numbering began in Ferrara and then moved to Florence. (Note that by the late 15th Century Trumps are widespread in Italy)

*** ... :) .. I don't know, who could tell this in this way ... and would be interested to hear his argument.

5. The idea of adding a Trump suit spread more quickly then the Triumphi game itself.

*** I don't understand, what the person wished to say and what he understands with "Triumphi game"

6. The word Triomphe appears in France as early as 1480

*** That's documented. Naturally "triumphare" is an old Latin verb. Probably you mean "first use of the term Triomphe in connecting to playing cards.

7. Karnoffel, the first trump taking game played with the 4 pack suit has no resemblance to Tarot save for trick taking

*** That's a global evaluation without details. The first sure rules of Karnöffel are known by 1537. Nobody knows the rules of Karnöffel in 1426.

8. Karnoffel players continued to refer to the "Trump" suit as the "chosen" up until the 19th Century. Thus the word Trump did not come from Karnoffel.

*** The word "triumphare" already appears in Johannes of Rheinfelden 1377.
The word "chosen" probably comes from "Erwählte Farbe". Well ... :) ... If I may comment this: English language persons often look a little stupid, when they start to speak about German playing card customs. When they found a village, in which for instance "erwählte Farbe" was the standard word, they overlook the fact, that in the pub in the village in 5 km distance another word might have been in use. Germany has a lot of dialects.

9 It is unlikely that the Tarot of Marseille was invented in France.

*** I don't care about this theory, it's not my time.

10. Tarot ordering of cards varied up until the 18th Century as the Jaques Vieville pack retained the Lombard ordering.

*** not my theme

11. Exoteric meaning, that is, names are given to the cards. For example, the later Montebank was originally a traveling merchant. (now that is a significant fact for me--the juggler and the merchant--both mix and match)

*** I would guess, it was the right or left pawn in a chess game.

12 In the early cards the Popess wears a habit.
13. The early name for Lovers card is simply Love
14. The early name for Hermit is Old man, Hunchback, and Time
15. The Tower is called fire, lightening, and hell.
16. Judgment is Angel.
17. The Marseille World card with the figure in the mandorla is very unconventional in terms of popular art.

*** .. .-) ..

Now we move on to the edicts and notes on Triumphs. 1450-Milan, 1450 Florence, edicts in 1460, 1477, 1488, 1489. An anonymous sermon probably delivered in 1480s. In 1456 Ferrarese jurist Urgo Trotti.
Perhaps you should study the long list of entries
http://trionfi.cim/0/e/01 ...till ca. 50

I think that we can assume that these edicts did not stop people from playing cards as there doesn't seem to be a tapering off of play with cards but rather the opposite. I think the edicts are significant as they indicate the widespread play, which would argue for a standardized game--otherwise wouldn't the edicts have to explain exactly what variety of Trumps were being banished.

Anyway, Huck, you have to think of the anarchic condition that existed throughout the 15th Century in Italy--travel is horrific, plagues raged, gangs of youth ravaged cities and stole brides at the altar, the powerful had private armies, peace never lasted for long, and even the curia had ladies in waiting. Sometimes I get the impression that you think of 15th Century Italy as sort of like 20th Century Italy (quaint but friendly). I recommend you read Memoirs of a Renaissance Pope at http://www.archive.org/details/memoirsofarenais009394mbp or even more revealing if not shocking read http:..www.press.umich.edu/pdg/047209944.pdf Perhaps some of the ladies of the curia were like those ladies of the court playing cards--ladies of the court/ or curia were not sweet and nice little girls. This is a memoir of a young man who has ambitions in the curia, but he says that at least it isn't the court of one of the nobles who were notorious for their cruelty while at the curia it was more irony. I won't shock the innocents of the forum with the lurid details--you have to dig them up yourself...

... :) ... I don't think, that my assumptions about the state of 15th century are completely unrealistic.

Despite warring nobles, plagues, impossible travel conditions (not unlike Mexican roads in the 21st century where cities have armies guarding the entrance--no really--and that was two years ago, imagine today with the drug wars), urban gangsters, and periodic starvation; the Trump game became widespread to every corner of Italy by 1480. This I feel argues against your 5x14 theory. Touche..

... .-) If we had in 1480 about 10.000 Trionfi decks distributed to about 8.000.000 contemporary Italian, I would think, that it is much more than I would exspect as "securely existent" in the moment.

kapoore

Hi Huck,
I grant you the word Triumph came from Germany, because you say so and I don't speak German. Trends seem to start in isolated places and not all at once everywhere. It's very possible that in some areas the word was "chosen" and in another area the word was "triumph."
Also, the word triumph could have had a religious connotation (I'm here thinking of the altar of Ghent where the word triumph is used and some of the paintings resemble early Trump cards).

Let's apply the idea of 'specific place and time' to the Trumps ( of specifically the Tarotish kind with some unusual features such as Hang Man and World Soul.) It spreads throughout Italy in a period of 30 to 50 years. If the game had started as you propose as a game featuring gods and goddesses then reason would argue that the remnants of that game would still be visible in the 1500 archetypal set. I don't see those remnants of that game in the later decks. Maybe you can show how this game is on the later cards.

Maybe another allegorical game is the ancestor. There was a game called Mary and the 12 disciples. (I highly recommend Paul Huson's book on the Mystical Origins of the Tarot because he covers early games of sortiage. ) Perhaps Trumps evolved as some type of Biblical game with hidden numbers and geometric shapes that recalled certain Biblical passages. Take the Hang Man and Deuteronomy 21:21-22 "And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, his body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is accursed by God."

There was the medieval game played with three dice and you can get 56 combinations. The combinations were related to virtues. For me the strangest medieval game involved arithmetic and geometric shapes (and I can't find it right now), but I did try to play it once and I am way too deficient in math. But it made me realize that these medieval scholars were brilliant in arithmetic and no mental math trick was beyond them.

The Trumps game could have been one of these old clerical games applied to cards. It didn't evolve over 30 years but over 300, and was played by bored men in scriptoriums, who were good at mental math because there wasn't sufficient paper, and no means of calculating except through geometry. Trumps recall religious themes--Pope, Angel, Nun, the Virtues (Strength, Justice, Temperance), Demon, Hell (the Tower?), Death, and Love. The Chariot in Medieval tradition was sometimes identified with the 7 Liberal arts. The merchant, the Fool, the Emperor, the Empress could either be allegorical figures or estates. Lady Fortuna was a common theme that goes back to late antiquity. She is sometimes contrasted with Occasion--a willed event as opposed to blind fate. In other words, the Trumps that became the Tarot feature archetypal medieval themes.

Huck, you have a strong argument for the 5x14 as the original Trump ancestor of Tarot because you have a written document that gives the number 70-that is a big find. However, the weakness is the collaborating evidence. How did 5x14 evolve? Where is evidence of the Roman pantheon? When did the Trumps pick up the religious symbolism that is obviously there? Why didn't isolated pockets of the 5x14 survive as the game spread through Italy, and France? More puzzling to me is that random quality of 5x14. What is special about 5x14? It was just "so and so's" lucky number and everyone else went: Wow.. I'll go for it, too? But, then, they change their minds and prefer the 78 version because well... that's what they did in Milan or Bologna. Explain

Huck

kapoore said:
Hi Huck,
I grant you the word Triumph came from Germany, because you say so and I don't speak German. Trends seem to start in isolated places and not all at once everywhere. It's very possible that in some areas the word was "chosen" and in another area the word was "triumph."

You don't understand. Johannes of Rheinfelden lived in Germany, but his text was written in Latin - "triumphare" is old Latin.
The question is, when "triumphare" was used first in playing card context ... and entered as this into the various national languages in a similar use, which should have been as trump as a single card, or as a term for all cards which are defined as trump inside a game, or as active trumping inside a single trick.
"Chosen" or "erwählte Farbe" refers to a process in games, in which the trump suit is selected in an active manner, for instance by a bidding procedure or a turn of a single accidental card - by this process it was "chosen", which suit is trump or which variation of the game is played. German games often have such a bidding process, as it is also in use in bridge. "Erwählte Farbe" or "chosen" wouldn't make sense in games without such procedures.
Also, the word triumph could have had a religious connotation (I'm here thinking of the altar of Ghent where the word triumph is used and some of the paintings resemble early Trump cards).

Triumphare and triumphus is old Latin ... it's much older than its use in playing card context.

Let's apply the idea of 'specific place and time' to the Trumps ( of specifically the Tarotish kind with some unusual features such as Hang Man and World Soul.) It spreads throughout Italy in a period of 30 to 50 years. If the game had started as you propose as a game featuring gods and goddesses then reason would argue that the remnants of that game would still be visible in the 1500 archetypal set.
I don't see those remnants of that game in the later decks. Maybe you can show how this game is on the later cards.

Still in 1550 the game Tarocchi is called a game for rich people. It wasn't an article consumed by the mass of the people. The standard Italy game was probably Trappola, a type of cards, which was also adapted in German countries. It didn't conquer Italy totally, the Sicilian version for instance is rather late. In Florence the Minchiate or Germini type was more successful than the Tarocchi. The Bolognese type is different, etc.
The 16-gods type wasn't repeated (as far our limited knowledge is informed about the development), however, Greek gods were used in the Tarocco Siciliano and occasionally they served as court cards in decks with normal structure. The 16-gods-type is not the only Trionfi deck, that wasn't repeated, it's often in the whole 14/15th centuries, that decks appear in a curious manner and aren't repeated (generally our window to the productions of 15th century is small ... we can't see all, naturally).
Repeatments of specific standards appeared with the advancing printing technologies, a logical development ... generally 16th century productions appear cause this conditions less creative than the 15th century productions.

Maybe another allegorical game is the ancestor. There was a game called Mary and the 12 disciples. (I highly recommend Paul Huson's book on the Mystical Origins of the Tarot because he covers early games of sortiage. )

Well, I've shown you already some posts before, that the "rules of Tarot as game" (without any special cards) perfectly fit with the conditions found in the 14 Bembo trumps + 56 cards. By documents (cards and documents notes) we know, that there is no other place of origin mentioned as the Ferrarese and the Milanese court.
Ross argues cause the Marchione Burdochi document for a complete 22 version imported to Ferrara from the mass market in Bologna, but the link between original game version (game without special cards) and 14 Bembo trumps is perfect, and the condition is in my opinion so, that the 14 Bembo trumps give evidence to the logical but otherwise hypothetical "original Tarot game" and the hypothetical "original Tarot game" stabilizes "the 5x14-theory" with an additional piece of evidence for the 5x14-theory.

Also it's obvious by iconography and number system, that the 14 Bembo trumps are the mother to the later development, however complex in the processes this change might have been.

Either you've understood or not, I'm not willing to talk here about "Mary and her 12 disciples". For the "original Tarot game" any iconographical argument is senseless, it could be played with an ordinary card game. It's hypothetical existence is based on a rule, used or additional pictures are worthless in this context.
Tarot in its history as game was used with many iconographical collections, many of them had been simple stupid ideas of no inner important meaning or structure.

On the other side the 14 Bembo trumps include an own iconography and the once chosen 14 pictures directly lead to the version, that was most used in all these different editions of the game of Tarot and is nowadays famous. So also in this topic your "Mary with her 12 disciples", interesting as they may be as another form of possible game structure in the relevant period.

Perhaps Trumps evolved as some type of Biblical game with hidden numbers and geometric shapes that recalled certain Biblical passages. Take the Hang Man and Deuteronomy 21:21-22 "And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, his body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is accursed by God."

There was the medieval game played with three dice and you can get 56 combinations. The combinations were related to virtues. For me the strangest medieval game involved arithmetic and geometric shapes (and I can't find it right now), but I did try to play it once and I am way too deficient in math. But it made me realize that these medieval scholars were brilliant in arithmetic and no mental math trick was beyond them.

The Trumps game could have been one of these old clerical games applied to cards. It didn't evolve over 30 years but over 300, and was played by bored men in scriptoriums, who were good at mental math because there wasn't sufficient paper, and no means of calculating except through geometry. Trumps recall religious themes--Pope, Angel, Nun, the Virtues (Strength, Justice, Temperance), Demon, Hell (the Tower?), Death, and Love. The Chariot in Medieval tradition was sometimes identified with the 7 Liberal arts. The merchant, the Fool, the Emperor, the Empress could either be allegorical figures or estates. Lady Fortuna was a common theme that goes back to late antiquity. She is sometimes contrasted with Occasion--a willed event as opposed to blind fate. In other words, the Trumps that became the Tarot feature archetypal medieval themes.

Huck, you have a strong argument for the 5x14 as the original Trump ancestor of Tarot because you have a written document that gives the number 70-that is a big find. However, the weakness is the collaborating evidence. How did 5x14 evolve?

"How did 5x14 evolve" ... Well, this was already explained, and I'm tired of explaining things twice.

And your assertion about "weakness is the collaborating evidence" is something, which belongs to the missing of any evidence for the idle hypothesis, that once in unknown past a concept existed which started with a 4x14+22 structure. Surely this concept existed in 1487 (Boiardo Tarocchi poem), with some probability some time earlier, but for the time of 1452 it's unlikely.

The written document of 1457 of 70 cards has only the meaning of one of various further comfirmations for the 5x14-theory.

The 5x14-theory had been born only at the information, that 14 of 20 trumps of the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo Tarocchi were painted by one painter and the remaining 6 by the other. With the natural knowledge, which these 14 cards were, and which the remaining 6. These conditions alone resulted in the evaluation, that the established hypothesis of playing card research "cards were replaced" had a probability of "being true" of less than 1 %, and 99 % stood for the alternative, that the 14 Bembo cards were the trump suits inside a complete 5x14-deck.

Where is evidence of the Roman pantheon? When did the Trumps pick up the religious symbolism that is obviously there? Why didn't isolated pockets of the 5x14 survive as the game spread through Italy, and France?

What do you want? It appeared as the 70 cards of Bembo, from which 68 survived ... when the modern researchers prefer to interprete this deck as evidence for their loved theory of an early "dropped-from-heaven"-4x14+22-structure, it's not the fault of reality.
Why didn't any versions of the complete 4x14+22 deck type before a specific time?

More puzzling to me is that random quality of 5x14. What is special about 5x14? It was just "so and so's" lucky number and everyone else went: Wow.. I'll go for it, too?

What's unsual at the usual matrix-deck-structure of 4x12, 4x13, 4x14, 4x15 ? ... true, 5 suits are little less common than 4 suits, but not really unusual. Already Johannes of Rheinfelden new decks with 5 and 6 suits.

The matrix-form is common for playing card decks. The 4x14+22-structure is the unusual pattern.
It should have been normal to assume some development, before it evolved.

But, then, they change their minds and prefer the 78 version because well... that's what they did in Milan or Bologna.
Explain

The 5x14-story happened before the great distribution in mass market. The 14 Bembo cards were not the only version of Trionfi decks, competitive versions are for instance Michelino deck, Cary Yale version, probably the Charles VI cards, Minchiate, if one wants it, also the Mantegna Tarocchi (although not really playing cards), Boiardo Tarocchi poem and Sola-Busca cards (according to the condition, that there are surely some lost examples of Trionfi cards, we have to assume a much greater variety).

Trionfi cards were ordered by persons, which often connected the production to specific very expensive events (also called "Trionfi"), in the whole meaning and costs of the great events with thousands of visitors the Trionfi cards had only a small additional function and presented in the organization purse "small money" only. It was the natural intention of the sponsors, that their events (and also the produced cards) had individual character and were not imitating too much other events or other persons cards.

The 5x14-theory not assumes, that all these Trionfi decks had 5x14-structure, but assumes, that also 5x16 was used (Cary Yale, Charles VI) and possibly also other game structures (as in 5x10 in the Mantegna Tarocchi series). Also it could happen, that a Trionfi festivity was not connected to a playing card production, but to a praising festival book, that included Trionfi card similar figures, as it for instance happened at the marriage of Costanzo Sforza and Camilla of Aragon 1475 as one of the earliest examples.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/vatican/images/human19.jpg

The festival book became later the common form of praise, special playing cards as stylish instruments disappeared more or less, although the concept was repeated occasionally till in our days. So usual enterprizes occasionally order a playing card deck to commemorate a Jubilee or something similar.

So there is nothing unusual in the varieties of the early Trionfi deck. As long these decks were handpainted, creativity was easy and didn't multiply the costs.
Things changed, when Trionfi cards went into mass production. The decks got less quality and lowered their price. Also they appeared not as few decks only in exclusive manner and surrounding, but in higher numbers, so they impressed greater parts of the public (although Trionfi cards stayed in their later Tarot form always more expensive than the common decks - and this lasted till nowadays).
The type of deck, which was produced in high numbers, naturally formed that, what was later successful ... this was the version with 4x14+22 - structure with only small competition by the Minchiate version, with another
structure.

When and how this mass-production started and when and how the Trionfi decks got the structure 4x14+22, is still a matter of research.

kapoore

Hi Huck,
I can hear your frustration that I don't get all the connections you have so carefully constructed. I do see that you have a very deep commitment to your 5x14 set as the one and only original game of Tarot. The fact that the numbers and the themes of the 1500 Tarot archetypal set don't match the 5x14 set is a matter to be resolved. And I know, you are willing to go with 1480 as the final coming together of the final Tarot under the supervision of Jews fleeing Spain. Except a Jewish influence would hardly explain the religious symbolism of the cards. This issue has been covered so well in the literature I can't get into it. There are very strong reasons for doubting any Jewish influence on the Tarot before at least the time of Agrippa and we have covered Agrippa and Tarot--very sketchy.

Also, if these edicts had such a profound effect on playing cards, and all flourishing of card production was around aristocratic marriages, etc.; why then was there a continued separate tradition in different cities all the way into the 16th Century and the Counter-Reformation? Plus playing cards at Christmas was a tradition all over. You speak about Italy as if it were a united country rather than a group of separate warring city states. The crusade against the Turks was an utter flop. What happened instead was Christopher Columbus in 1492 set sail for the Indies via the Atlantic--to avoid the Turks. From that point onward Western societies turned their backs to the Middle East, and Venice atrophied.

Huck, you have got to read some general history books and get some context outside the households of Milan. I don't think you see the forest for the trees.

kapoore

I think Rithmomachia may have a closer relationship to Tarot than chess, but has zero relation to the conversation of the Hebrew alphabet and the number 22 as a Trump number.

Let me summarize the conversation:
l. We explored the possibility that the association of the Hebrew alphabet might have deeper roots in history than the already known association with occult societies
2. We discussed in this relation Agrippa, Reuchlin, and Trithemius
3. We discussed the original number of the Trump suit. This is a key assumption if we are to meaningfully discuss the number 22. If the original number of Trumps is 14, or 16; then the Hebrew alphabet could not have been a part of this orginal deck. Huck championed the Ur 14 deck and I believe the game was conceived with its present numbers in mind. I still believe that 22 might relate to the Hebrew alphabet, but that is my opinion.
4. We had some lively discussions around Agrippa and it came out that Agrippa had a dog named Tarot.
5. The bulk of the conversation really was about different sources for material and that eventually made the conversation problematic. I am very interested in the medieval world, particularly the tradition of Platonism. I see the Renaissance as part of that world view and look for the roots of the Tarot in the Platonism of the Middle Ages. Huck is not interested in the Middle Ages, but the family diaries that relate to the earliest Triump card decks. I tried to find a common source in Michael Dummett's, A Wicked Pack of Cards. However, this is not a source for Huck. And frankly I am not sure we should have to read each other's sources to have a conversation. Internet essay referrals, yes, that is expected. But 300 page books that are at times hard to find...no..
6. I learned a lot from the discussion and I discovered a fascinating artistic tradition of Saint Jerome in the Renaissance. One of Saint Jerome's associations is with the Hebrew alphabet and he notes the mystic number 22. I subsequently read the book, Saint Jerome in the Rennaissance by Eugene F. Rice. I recommend it for those who have an interest in detailed and at times dry history of a scholarly type.
7. Finally as a footnote I found that the Hebrew alphabet was used as a mneumonic device in medieval manuscripts. In Mary Carruthers book, The Book of Memory, page,109- 111 she writes, "Evidence that alphabets were commonly used as menomonic ordering device is scattered but persistent in both ancient and early medieval books.. It is a curiosity (to modern scholars) of medieval books that tables of Greek, Hebrew, Coptic, runic, and even wholly imagainary alphabets are found side by side in a number of monastic manuscripts.
8. So, obviously the debate goes on.
I wish you all luck in your research adventures, and be well. Kapoore

MikeH

I just discovered this thread yesterday and skimmed through it quickly. Fortunately I already had some familiarity with Huck and Ross’s arguments. I really admire Kapoore’s persistence in insisting that his questions haven’t been answered. I agree. I want to put my two bits in, if anyone is still reading this thread. Excuse me for covering a lot of ground. I also apologize for not knowing how to mark links or put titles in italics.

First, Huck indeed hasn’t explained how the Michelino evolved into the Cary-Yale and beyond. The story is probably lost to history, but I have written, for my own amusement if nothing else, one way it could have happened. It’s at http://mtocy.blogspot.com/.

Second, as to how there came to be 22 trumps. Ross wrote a post a while back (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=28920) about how the Charles VI deck had little numbers written on some of them--done after the deck was made, but probably in the same century. They show that there were 20 trumps, not including the Fool, and that the “missing” one was either the Popess or the Empress; or perhaps they shared a number. It occurs to me that since other decks at that time did have both ladies, and/or the practice of sharing a number was idiosyncratic (although not unknown), there became 22 by having both a Popess and an Empress, each with their own number, plus an unnumbered Fool. It was a standardization among decks that were slightly different.

Now, trumps and Kabbalah. It strikes me that 20 is just as “Kabbalist” a number as 22—it is the 10 sefiroth twice, and the progress of the soul, once going down and again going up, imitating its journey through the spheres before and after this life. But more people then knew that there were 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet than knew that there were 10 sefiroth. And anyway, there were 11 if you counted the Ein Sof. Since card makers were in the business of making money, 22 was a better number, for customers who wanted to imagine that the cards contained arcane secrets from the time before Moses. So the move to 22 caught on.

So when did Kabbalah and the tarot first become associated? I can suggest a few dates.

At the earliest, 2nd century b.c.e. in Alexandria, Egypt. I don’t mean the cards, I mean some of the ideas behind the cards. Here is what one recent scholar says: “The second century BC sees the appearance and subsequent development of Jewish Pythogoreanism. In concert with early Jewish Gnostic writings in Palestine, this tradition would lay the groundwork for further developments, including the birth, in the following centuries, of Kabbalah, or ‘received tradition’” (Christiane Joos-Gaugier, Measuring Heaven, 2006, p. 97). If you want to see some “origins of the Kabbalah,” one place is in Philo of Alexandria, who applied Neopythagoreanism to Judaism (see Charles H. Kahn, Pythagoras and the Pythagoreans: a Brief History, pp. 100f). Philo may even have been the author of “Wisdom of Solomon.” David Winston entertains this hypothesis in his book Wisdom of Solomon (1979).

In the diaspora, Kabbalah develops out of Neopythagoreanism and the Neopythagorean branch of Neoplatonism (e.g. Iamblicus and Proclus, both of whom were translated by Ficino). Among the gentiles, these same authors are applied to Christianity—by a long line of scholars and mystics, from Clement of Alexandria through Isodore of Seville, through the School of Chartres, to the Italian Renaissance. Kapoore hits the nail on the head when he mentions Pythagoreanism. (I have been writing, so far for my own amusement, an essay on Neopythagorean symbolism in the Sola-Busca pips, using pagan Greek and Latin Neopythagorean texts widely read in late 15th century Italy. This same symbolism appears in Etteilla’s interpretations three centuries later.)

Next date: the summer of 1457. Galeazzo Sforza is visiting Ferrara, perhaps his first time away from home. He doesn’t stay at the d’Este palace, but instead at the Pico della Mirandola residence, where the Count has two sons around Galeazzo’s age. Their cousin, Matteo Boiardo, is around the same age (on the later version of his birth year: see http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Boairdo or http://www.litencyc.com/php/speople.php?rec=true&IUD=71. I would imagine Matteo’s father telling him that it never hurts to make friends with a future Duke of Milan. To while away the rainy days, as Galeazzo writes his father, they play Trionfi (letter of 2 August, in Gregory Lubkin, A Renaissance Court: Milan under Galeazzo Maria Sforza, p. 309). Perhaps the 5x14 decks ordered at that time were for them. Perhaps the d'Este deck in the Beinecke Library (viewable on-line) is one of them. Galeazzo would have known the game in Milan, where they might have had a slightly different deck. At any rate, Galeazzo and the young Pico della Mirandolas (not including Giovanni, who wasn’t born yet) play cards with a proto-tarot. There is no mention of chess. Triumphs was a women’s and children’s game, chess a man’s game. Around this same time, Ferrara is accepting Jewish immigrants from Spain with open arms. Hebrew and the Jewish heritage are all the rage, despite those bigots in Rome. Boiardo and Giovanni, at least, go at it. (But I would appreciate knowing Huck’s reference for Boiardo’s facility in Hebrew.)

Next date: Dec. 1, 1486. Giovanni Pico della Mirandola publishes his 900 Theses, in two parts, both ending with lengthy sections on Kabbalah. They reflect Spanish-Jewish popularizations of the Castille and Gerona Kabbalists, including popularizations of the Zohar. Pico read them in Hebrew as well as in Latin translations--or mistranslations--by a Jewish convert to Christianity who was eager to prove that Kabbalah was essentially Christian. He is not alone: One Kabbalah scholar in Israel said much the same thing about the Zohar. I’ll have to go to the library and find his book. Scholars have been able to tell from some of the wordings that the Zohar was influenced by medieval Christianity, Eriugena in particular; that’s something Scholem apparently missed. I don't recall any scholar suggesting that he read the Sefer Yetsirah.

Thanks to Pico, after 1486 there was thus a summary of medieval Kabbalah in print, along with some ideas on how to correlate it with Christianity, the Corpus Hermeticum, Pythagoreanism, etc. Pico’s summary is not that bad. He at least gets it right that Malkuth was associated with the Moon and not Earth (Thesis 11>48), and that there were 32 “paths of wisdom,” not 22 (Thesis 28.26). Those doctrines, later presented as basic dogma, were not part of Spanish Kabbalah. Even Kircher knew enough to identify Malkuth with the Moon. (The relevant references here are Syncretism in the West, for Pico, Wisdom of the Zohar, in three volumes, for Kabbalah, and http://www.donaldtyson.com/kircher.html, for Kircher. In Kircher’s drawing, notice the little moon next to the bottom sefira. The books all have great indexes. On-line, you can search another translation of the Zohar, with non-standard Hebrew spellings, at https://www.kabbalah.com/k/index.php/p=zohar/search. Search e.g. “moon Malchut.” Be aware that the words in caps are interpolated commentary by the translator.)

Thanks to Pico, humanists could now show their erudition in Kabbalah, as well as Pico’s other subjects, while playing cards! Using Pico, and later Reuchlin and Agrippa, they could even develop systems of divination, to do readings and also teach others, for a small fee, all of it based on the ancient wisdom gleaned from their studies. They don’t publish, because one never knows when one will be charged with heresy (“publish and perish”); and anyway, why sell the goose that lays the golden eggs?

One person who seems to express Pico’s Theses is Boiardo. I have explained on another thread (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53835&page=8&pp=10) how the vices and virtues in his poem correlate with those in Theses 9-10 of Pico’s section on “Hermes the Egyptian.” Pico is connecting the Kabbalists’ “punishers" with Tractate XIII of the Corpus Hermeticum, as translated by Ficino. You can find an improved version of my argument at http://15thcenturytarot.blogspot.com/. Further down on that blog I have another essay, correlating Pico’s presentation with the tarot trumps. (None of my essays are connected to Google’s search engine, as they are tentative. But I would appreciate feedback from discerning readers.)

Trionfi proposes Jan. 1487 as the time of Boiardo's s poem, between 1 and 2 months after Pico's Theses came out. That is as good a date as any, although I do not understand why the Lucrezia of the poem had to be the Lucrezia who married then, as opposed to others, such as his cousin, Giovanni's sister, born 1463, or Ludovico Sforza's mistress, or Lorenzo de' Medici's mother or mistress. Perhaps Boiardo is jokingly implying that her getting married, whoever she is, is like the legendary Lucrezia’s suicide after rape. That might narrow the field.

In 1490 Pico had tea with Reuchlin, urging him to study his Hebrew. If Pico did that, he probably at some point gave him a reading list as well. With Pico’s sources, it would have been possible to figure out what he was talking about in his Theses. More recently, Chaim Wieszubski did just that, in his Pico della Mirandola's Encounter with Jewish Mysticism (1989, edited by Moshe Idol), with edifying results. Wieszubski was following up on a 17th century commentary on Pico by Jacques Gafferel, Paris 1651, who quoted extensively from some sources that are now lost. Much of Reuchlin is already in Pico. For example, Reuchlin is often given credit for the idea that JHVH became JHSVH, “Jehovah” becoming “Jesus” by the addition of a Shin (or something like that). But the addition of the Shin is in Pico’s Thesis 11>14 (admittedly so obscurely that even our 1998 translator doesn't get it; but I did read this interpretation somewhere, I think in that Israeli book).

In 1494 Pico gets a reprieve when the Sforzas, thanks to lots of bribes, get their man into the papacy. (You can read about Alexander VI's election on Wikipedia.) Pico has already died prematurely. But his Theses can be printed again. Pico’s book remains popular for the next two or three centuries, according to Farmer in Syncretism.

Final date: 1781. De Mellet’s essay appears in de Gebelin’s Monde Primitif. De Mellet says, in Section VII, writing as if he is describing a practice that already exists, that each tarot trump correlates with a particular letter of the Hebrew alphabet, starting with the World card as Aleph and apparently ending with the Fool as Tau. He says the Fool is Zero, as did the Sola-Busca. The meaning of each trump is then associated with the meaning of the Hebrew letter and perhaps also how it looks. Gimel, for example, means “camel”; hence the Sun card means “renumeration, happiness.” Hey, camels were worth a lot, at least in Paris. De Mellet gives five other examples. Then he says that overlaying the letters Tau and Samech means something pictorially—the brand given to thieves with a hot iron, but also a “cipher,” i.e. a zero (as though the ancients had a zero as such). You can read him at http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Recherches_sur_les_Tarots. The translation is not the best, but the French original is next to it. Another translation is at http://www.donaldtyson.com/gebelin.html. A better translation than either is J. Karlin’s in her Rhapsodies of the Bizarre, but it’s not free. In reading de Mellet, you have to bear in mind that by “Egyptian” he includes Alexandria, with its Greeks and Jews. You can tell by the way he alternates between “Egyptian,” “Greek,” and “Hebrew.”

This first explicit account of the divinatory tarot is pretty ridiculous. I don’t mind divination as long as you get good advice no matter what cards you draw, as you will if your system is based on things like the humanists’ Greek and Latin classics and the Zohar literature (covered by a pious Christian veneer and a card game). But de Mellet is a scholar compared to the pseudo-historians who came after him. I am not sure why the tarot remains a useful tool. Perhaps some kind of wisdom actually did get put into the cards in the 15th-17th centuries, beyond Christian dogma. Perhaps more was put there by the Golden Dawn from their study of Agrippa, the Picatrix, and other sources. Like Huck says, that’s not my century... But I m trying to work my way forward.