Positive/Negative Interpretations (split from 'Red Flag' relationship warning cards)

headincloud

You posted you just tend to tell the truth as you see it. I think that is what most readers do.

You talk about dynamics, but who is defining those dynamics?

Great spirit of course, the tarot reflects them to aid us in understanding the universal flow.

Part of being a reader is defining the cards, and what they mean, in a reading. Different readers will do that differently.

Yes, in line with their psychic and spiritual development.

I don't think you are suggesting all readers must read just as you do or the reading isn't valid, or maybe I am missing something.

"Each to their own" that'll be what you missed.

From your posts, it seems you are saying this is always this no matter the spread, the question, it is NOT up to any interpretation.

That depends on how you interpret "each to their own".

greatdane

Each to their own....yet you seem to be saying the opposite in this thread.

And are you dictating how Great Spirit talks to each of us? I don't understand how you criticize others and yet say...each to their own. That isn't what I missed, that seems to be what many of your posts are missing.

Your posts suggest how others should read.

Thirteen

It seems to me that reading the upright interpretations of the cards and looking to the question to cast a negative or positive shadow is ineffective.
Okay, I think I get what you're saying now. But I'm still a little confused. You seem to be saying that we have to avoid doing spreads (having spread positions) entirely because they keep the Tarot from being able to give us the right cards for the right message. You also seem to be saying that "red flag" cards are likely to be branded forever with ONLY that interpretation; that readers won't know that this interpretation is for only this situation and reading.

I may be wrong there, and if I am, I apologize. But it is what you *seem* to be saying.

What I would say, if this is what you're saying, is that the Tarot is pretty smart, and if a person asked for 3 things negative about a girlfriend, the Tarot would simply provide those cards for those positions that got across the right message. Even if that message was "your girlfriend doesn't have much negative about her." :) And if we got the Sun in that negative position, for example, I doubt that it would forever be branded with a negative connotation. When we see it there in a negative position, we might say the girlfriend is "too optimistic and can't see when things are going wrong." But in another reading, when we try to find out three positives about the boyfriend and get the Sun, we might now see it as "Never lets things get too grim. Keeps things light and sunny."

There is room for both interpretations, I'm sure you'll agree.

In short, if we have three positions for three positives about a girlfriend, the card meaning "she's running him ragged" would *not* show up in any of those positions for us to misread. The Tarot would either save that card for when we ask about her negatives, OR might let it "jump out" if we refused to ask about her negatives, so that we got the message.

I rather think the tarot knows how to do that--how to give us the right card in the right position/way at the right time to give us the right message...don't you?

headincloud

I never said I give advice, I don't. I give information (and hopefully insights) for querents to choose their own path. As far as knowing whether I'm on the right track, I do it the easy way: I simply ask the person sitting across the table. I never read remotely, so there's no shooting in the dark. I take exception to being told I'm out of line when you have no clue how I've been working with the tarot for the last four decades.

Why would you take exception, I simply don't see it as a readers job to give advice, it's not criticism it's my opinion. I'm pretty indifferent as to whether you choose to give advice or not, it's not my concern. If you're on your own path and you're guided by integrity to the best of your ability then what others think won't cause any offence, my sense of self or ego is not defined by others.

headincloud

Each to their own....yet you seem to be saying the opposite in this thread.

And are you dictating how Great Spirit talks to each of us? I don't understand how you criticize others and yet say...each to their own. That isn't what I missed, that seems to be what many of your posts are missing.

Your posts suggest how others should read.

My posts don't suggest anything other than how I read should anyone be interested, I'm not dictating anything just sharing my observations, and who's criticising who.

greatdane

I am just trying to make sense of your posts that seem to contradict themselves.

To tell another reader you think how they read is out of line...that sounds critical. That doesn't sound "to each their own." I am just trying to understand how you make that distinction.

Sharing how you personally read is one thing, stating how things SHOULD be read, as many of your posts seem to, is telling others how they should read.

You state things as fact rather than just opinion and have sounded critical of others thoughts and ways of looking at readings in this thread.

Just sharing my observations and opinion.

headincloud

Okay, I think I get what you're saying now. But I'm still a little confused. You seem to be saying that we have to avoid doing spreads (having spread positions) entirely because they keep the Tarot from being able to give us the right cards for the right message. You also seem to be saying that "red flag" cards are likely to be branded forever with ONLY that interpretation; that readers won't know that this interpretation is for only this situation and reading.

No, we don't have to avoid doing spreads and the tarot will always give the right card but it may not be in line with our expectations so we need to be mindful of the question. The question top 3 things my girlfriend likes in me may not at the end of the day be 3 shinning qualities so we can't automatically go pulling the positive attributes out of every card that comes up, if she likes it when he's under the influence of 5C which is hardly a positive energy then that's the truth, it may be the wrong answer in our eyes because it's not in line with our expectations but we need to get expectations out of the way because they act like blinkers. Did we actually ask for 3 positive attributes, no we asked for what she likes most, we expected 3 positive attributes and can't understand how a negative card came up in a positive position, so we set about putting a positive interpretation over it somehow which is completely over riding what the card is saying.

In short, if we have three positions for three positives about a girlfriend, the card meaning "she's running him ragged" would *not* show up in any of those positions for us to misread. The Tarot would either save that card for when we ask about her negatives, OR might let it "jump out" if we refused to ask about her negatives, so that we got the message.

No because she's seeing running him ragged as a positive, we are the ones seeing it as a negative.

headincloud

I am just trying to make sense of your posts that seem to contradict themselves.

To tell another reader you think how they read is out of line...that sounds critical. That doesn't sound "to each their own." I am just trying to understand how you make that distinction.

Sharing how you personally read is one thing, stating how things SHOULD be read, as many of your posts seem to, is telling others how they should read.

You state things as fact rather than just opinion and have sounded critical of others thoughts and ways of looking at readings in this thread.

Just sharing my observations and opinion.

Thanks for your observations

Thirteen

Point of view is all

No, we don't have to avoid doing spreads and the tarot will always give the right card but it may not be in line with our expectations so we need to be mindful of the question. The question top 3 things my girlfriend likes in me may not at the end of the day be 3 shinning qualities so we can't automatically go pulling the positive attributes out of every card that comes up, if she likes it when he's under the influence of 5C which is hardly a positive energy then that's the truth, it may be the wrong answer in our eyes because it's not in line with our expectations but we need to get expectations out of the way because they act like blinkers. Did we actually ask for 3 positive attributes, no we asked for what she likes most, we expected 3 positive attributes and can't understand how a negative card came up in a positive position, so we set about putting a positive interpretation over it somehow which is completely over riding what the card is saying.
Okay. I see what you're saying and I'm in agreement with it. What you're saying, simply put is that readers want certain answers and have to be careful not to create questions or see positions in a spread as giving them those answers. They have to be, as you say, *mindful* of what they're asking and what the positions are, so they know the true answer, and not what they want to be the answer.

Which is simply common sense for readers. And also a good warning to readers who often do love reading after love reading, hoping to get a card that says the guy or girl they've got a crush on likes them back, or that they're going to end up married to the guy/girl they're with, as they hope and pray. This makes them misread what the cards are telling them because they want that answer so badly, they'll see it in just about any card.
No because she's seeing running him ragged as a positive, we are the ones seeing it as a negative.
And no to you. If you're doing a reading for what the girlfriend *thinks* is positive about her, then you'd likely get a card that said she *thinks* it's positive that she's always in control and telling him what to do. And that would be right, wouldn't it? What she thinks is positive may not be really positive (not to us), but that's what she thinks.

But what if that "positives/negatives" of the girlfriend was in a reading for the boyfriend? Then, again, you wouldn't see that card, the one that means "running him ragged" in the positives. You wouldn't, likely, even see that "she's always in control" as a positive...not unless the boyfriend also thought it was a positive to have her always in control and telling him what to do. You'd see that "running him ragged" in the negatives.

Such questions are often about point of view. And if you're simply warning people to keep point of view in mind, then we're in agreement. But if a reader IS mindful, then I don't see the problem with such positions. I think the tarot can use them to get the right message across. Including, once again, tossing out a random card, maybe over and over again as the tarot does, to flag the lover and warn them "she's running him ragged" if there's no other way to get the message across :D