How to start using the Faeries Oracle?

MareSaturni

I'll probably sound silly here...

I received my Froud's Faerie last week, after a long time wanting it. I found a nice brazilian lady who was willing to sell it for a reasonable price (imported decks are usually very expensive). I was so happy when it arrived, because i love Froud's art and all!

I read the book. I tried to do the small exercises given by Jessica Macbeth. And then i tried to read.

But i think the cards don't make any sense. None of the readings made sense, except the one i did in that exercise Jessica tells us to pick a card we like and a card we don't and try to figure them out.
All other readings came with cards that don't seem to relate to what i am asking, not even if i stretch the meaning. :|

I'm either doing something wrong or the faeries don't like me. :(

We don't have much of a faerie tradition here in my country... i wonder sometimes if they even exists here, despite the huge forests... so i don't know how to approach such thing. What to do to acquaint myself better to the faeries and to the deck.

I'd like some ideas from the more experienced readers, and from those who work with faeries...

I thank you in advance :)

DragonFae

I don't know if its ok to post it here or in the readings forum BUT if you post the question/area and the cards you got...we could take a look at them and perhaps have a different slant....

When I first started reading the faery cards I had wonderful and accurate readings but I did go through a spell where nothing seemed to "read right". I'm not sure what caused that phase...but it was a phase and it did pass...

Perhaps I was not "in tune" with the faeries or perhaps they got tired of some questions when I wasnt listening to them...or perhaps my own energy was such that I couldn't connect...

Here are some things to try...

1. The meditation in the book where you visualize your own faery wings is quite wonderful...playing some lovely music while you try it can be relaxing

2. Stop trying to read with the cards for a while and just have conversations with the faeries...draw a card for the day and talk with the faery....perhaps even do some card interviews...IDK because everyone is different but maybe they want to know you on a more personal level before imparting information in a reading...

3. Try reading by the light of a full moon, or outside in the garden at dusk...are at least surrounded by wonderful plants

4. Find little items that you think might please the faeries and place them in the bag with your cards or make a faery charm bag...small pebbles, shells, pieces of bark with interesting texture. ...The point here is to immerse yourself in faery....

5. Also accept and embrace the idea that faeries talk in riddles...sometime they want you to hunt for the answer...BUT at other times if they think you are not asking the right question....they may give you the answer to something entirely different all together....so when you end up with a reading that doesnt make sense for what your question was etc....reflect on it a bit and see if it makes sense in regard to any other area of life etc...

I'm sure you will get some other good suggestions here....:)

MareSaturni

DragonFae, you suggestions were just great!!!
Thank you so much for your help!

I hadn't thought about trying to talk to them. That sounds like a good way to introduce myself before going around asking questions.

I usually suck at meditation, but i'll try it. :)

I'll if anyone will post other suggestions. They are welcome, because i'm sorta of an illiterate, faerie-wise.

You know, i've been really attracted by one of the cards. It's called "Himself" (#17). I had seen this painting in Froud's book "World of the Faerie", but knowing his name made all the difference. Maybe i should start by talking to this faerie...

Thanks, once more!

faunabay

Marina, like DragonFae says just talk to them. If you're trying to read these cards like you do tarot or other oracles they'll just give you nonsense. You do have to talk, or rather, listen! :p to them instead of trying to interprete the cards!

I love Himself!!!! He's so sensual and sexy! }) I think he'd be great to start listening to. See what he has to tell you. Just let your mind go and don't try and second guess yourself. DragonFae is right, they can talk in riddles but they do make very good points. Sometimes you just don't see what they mean at first. :D

Because you do say you felt good doing the favorite/least favorite exercise. So maybe you're trying to go about using the faeries in the same way you've been using tarot cards....and they won't have a bit of that!!! Oh No! They're different! They're real! You have to talk to them, and listen to them, like they're friends or mentors! So when you do get around to trying spreads again - listen to them - don't try and interprete like you do tarot. Listen and have fun! If you're trying to hard they don't like that. You're supposed to have fun!!! :D

MareSaturni

faunabay said:
Marina, like DragonFae says just talk to them. If you're trying to read these cards like you do tarot or other oracles they'll just give you nonsense. You do have to talk, or rather, listen! :p to them instead of trying to interprete the cards!

Yes, i noticed that. No easy answering... i just feel too embarassed to talk to the faeries... what if they don't like me? What if they aren't interested in talking to me? The faeries in Froud's art seem to have such strong personalities...!

faunabay said:
I love Himself!!!! He's so sensual and sexy! }) I think he'd be great to start listening to. See what he has to tell you.

I think he's incredibly sexy too }). A dream faerie lover, lol :joke:. Hope he's not offended...

faunabay said:
Just let your mind go and don't try and second guess yourself. DragonFae is right, they can talk in riddles but they do make very good points. Sometimes you just don't see what they mean at first. :D

Thank you for the ideas and for the support. You're definitely a faerie messenger ;)

:heart:

inanna_tarot

they talk in riddles, they drive you up the wall... they steal your car keys, borrow your deordourent when your already late for work etc....

Once they start its a blessing a curse of a relationship. Maybe the faeries are waiting to see if you really want that? Reading with the FO isnt like another oracle, you welcome these creatures into your house, your mind and your heart. Sometimes you need to think before accepting that.

Of course, its just an oracle, you dont sit there thinking that way about the Druid Animal oracle or something... but for some reason, these faeries are very different. They are not your average oracle. They are themselves.

Alissa

One more idea: when I first received the deck (oh SO many years ago) I remember going through and putting them into piles, and then sorting and resorting piles. It began to show me how my fae talk to me...

Examples:
- I did male/female/gender neutrals, and then looked through them all
- Happy/Not happy/Neutral
- Looking at me/Not looking at me
- Faeries with only one eye
- Faeries that were pretty/ugly
- Fae that I liked/Fae I didn't like

And Himself! He is me in Faerie form. And yes, I see my Male self when I see Himself. Which makes his title make even more sense (to me).

Maybe pick the Faery that is "You" looking back from Faerie form?

And in general, don't think "interpret" think "play". And get used to not having answers immediately appear. The Fae can get active in your real world, and your answers from your spreads can start showing up in other ways in your life (like finding feathers, special bird calls, strange bugs that look at you meaningfully, house flies that show up in the middle of January when they don't hatch, walking into a web and not realizing it until you're covered in sticky, all sorts of random nature messages).

P.S. Faeries only "like" human babies. The rest of us they find either amusing, or annoying, just depending. But babies they have an affinity for. :D They don't really like any of us adult humans, but they do find us entertaining (for their own benefits). And some of them feel a Fae version of "pity" and try to help us expand our awareness (like the Fae Godmother types).

But they won't "like" you, so don't worry about that. :p Just ask the Green Woman!

DragonFae

How's it going Marina????

thorhammer

Marina said:
I think he's incredibly sexy too }). A dream faerie lover, lol :joke:. Hope he's not offended...
Look in the mirror, girl - why the heck would he be?? LOL

I have a more-than-most relationship with The Sage, oddly enough. The first time I flipped through their portraits, he transfixed me, and I relive that moment every time that I look through the deck. Every time.

He doesn't voluntarily come see me often, though . . . plays hard to get. :D

\m/ Kat

Mellaenn

Marina, I am a newbie with this deck, too. I just got it in the mail yesterday and since I have a cold I did the initial thumb-through but then put it aside. That lasted for about an hour.

I had an overwhelming urge to get them out again, and so I did. I just made up a spread that presented itself to my imagination and laid out the cards; and wow, did they ever talk!

Gotta say, I resisted this faery vibe for awhile. But no more. You and I can share as newbies. Send me a pm or we can start ourselves a newbie FO thread.

By the way, I don't think they'll hold our dalliance with the Story of St Tarocchini against us. But we might ought to think about how we can make a tribute to them. ;)