General Oracles Study Group: Week #1

DragonFae

Welcome Fermmoylle.....I have the Wild Wisodm deck also...the artwork is lovely...I also have two decks I purchased directly from the Selina Fenech site....I'm not sure they are available any more...

GryffinSong

It's time to get started...Week #1 Deck Introduction

I know some people may be using more than one deck through the course of our study....but I hope you have one picked for the month of October because Week One is to introduce us to your deck...

I hope its ok to jump in really, really late.

1. Tell us the name of your deck and any other important info (publisher maybe, number of cards in it etc)

Good Witch, Bad Witch, by Gillian Kemp. 52 cards. 2 suits each of good and bad witches.

2. Tell us what drew you to this deck? Did you see it in a shop? Read about it? Get it as a gift? Also tell us how long you have had it and whether you have worked with it a lot or maybe it has just lingered on the shelf?

Saw it in the trade forum here, and was enchanted with the artwork. I've used it a little bit. I love it, but have actually been away from my decks for about six months, so haven't been using anything lately.

3. Tell us the "theme" or "characters" of the deck....you don't have to go into great detail but some decks have animals, others objects, some people etc...

Witches. :)

4. If you have a place where we can "look at" the deck please let us know that also. That may be helpful later on.

One of the members here posted her scans ... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/wolfyjames/decks/goodwitchbadwitch/

5. Then concentrate on this group and your deck as you shuffle cards...draw a card. This will represent this group and the direction or path or involvement we all will take as we work together....tell us about the card and your feelings and first thoughts when you look at it and relate it to this group.

The Fire Witch. Ooh, power, creativity, light. I love this beautiful witch. She looks like the sun, like lava, like a fiery mountain with a lizard crawling up her skirt. She can handle anything, she can learn anything, she can create anything. As relates to a study group, I can't imagine anything much more powerful than this sweet and powerful being.

DragonFae

Welcome...it's never too late to join....anyone can join at any time and use any oracle deck. :)

If you want to play "catch up" you can....but it's not necessary except in relation to our work with the elements....those will sort of build on the previous one each month. BUT many of us are still reflecting on cards and getting a good feel for where they fall in relationship to the elements.

GryffinSong

Thanks again! I figure I'll at least read all the exercises, and do some of them. It'll help me feel caught up, and since I'm in a transition in my life, the in-depth work will help I think. Even if I only do it quickly and spontaneously, I think it'll help me feel a part of the group. :)

steamwings

It seems I'm kind of chaotic but here's the first week's answers. Kind of late but...

1. Heart of Faerie Oracle, Abrams books and 65 cards.

2. I was enthralled by first oracle deck and bought it. When the second deck came into publishing I bought it as soon as it was possible for me. Still remember precious moment of opening my parcel during the winter under the falling snow. But I had some problems with this deck and rarely used it. But now it seems faeries started to talk with me.

3. Heart of Faerie Oracle is obviously about... faeries. Different kinds of. Some tiny and fierce, some swift and sweet, others are god-like beings. I love them all.

4. http://picsa.ru/albums/2493/dcae329c47

5. My work with faeries is kind of specific so I asked who of all faeries will help me with my work in this group. The Maiden showed herself up. She's fresh and pretty, I really like her calm face and transparent wings. But this lady has a secret - she's a mirror. She took her posture from Returning, name from another Maiden now look at her... how is she, really? Why she looks so soft but has so many secrets? I think she represents mystery of faeries realm with it's paradoxes and endless possibilities. Like a Maiden untouched she just rebirthed and guiding me to her realm.

2dogs

Hello All,

I just got my first Oracle deck, had a look at this forum and this general study group is a great idea. I'm going to read through all the weeks and do at least some of the exercises, so may take a little time to catch up.

1. My deck is "Earth Magic" by Steven Farmer, 48 cards with images by a lot of different artists. There's no obvious structure like suits or numbers, each card has a name and theme (keyword) and the smallish pink book just lists them in alphabetical order.

2. I saw this in a shop and liked the pictures of cards on the box. I've only done one reading so far, but it's encouraged me to carry on.

3. The theme is mainly nature - Ocean, Forest, Fog, Crystals, the Solstices, but a few others e.g. Music, Fairies, Wolf, DNA, Shaman.

4. The Author's Website will do you free readings with images and explanations of the cards.

5. The card I have drawn for this group is Gaia (Nurturing) - see the Artist's original image. Not a great deal of pondering required at first glance, but the image shows a lot of detail relevant to the group - all sorts of different animals, birds, flowers, a rainbow, possibly elemental correspondences - in fact it's just bursting with enormous variety and the creative power of Nature. The text in the book is also really inspiring - it talks about "receiving much needed nurturing, so let others give to you". Well, that makes it two readings with this deck now and I'm loving it already!

DragonFae

Welcome 2Dogs...That deck is on my want list so I'm interested to hear how you like it.

Rosie_0801

Ok, I'm done with that silly Flowers of Love deck and am starting over with the very sexy (for want of a better adjective) Oracle of the Dreamtime. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracle-of-the-dreamtime/ My deck has borders though, which I like better.

It's a 45 card deck and I bought it because I wanted an Australian deck. I've had it for several months now, but have only just finished reading the entry for each card. It was not a deck that wanted to be gobbled up quickly! As it turns out, it jives very well with parts of my spirituality and civic soul in ways that would be too long and wordy, and not relevant to this thread. :p

The theme is obviously the Australian Aborigines Dreaming, including birds, animals, landmarks and hugely interesting to me, one modern Dreaming. I've not encountered one before.

Then concentrate on this group and your deck as you shuffle cards...draw a card. This will represent this group and the direction or path or involvement we all will take as we work together....tell us about the card and your feelings and first thoughts when you look at it and relate it to this group.

Hee hee. The card I drew was the #7- Southern Cross, which is pretty much like a tarot Death card. And here I am restarting with a new deck. ;)

2dogs

Congratulations on your new purchase - that looks miles better. The cards are very colourful and varied, with strong and distinct images, and it looks like a decent sized book. It's good to have a deck that reflects the landscape and original culture of your country, you may feel more of a connection with the land, like when you sit somewhere and realise that people would have been there thousands of years ago. After building up all that frustration with Flowers Of Love you must be raring to go with this one. :cool3:

Rosie_0801

After building up all that frustration with Flowers Of Love you must be raring to go with this one. :cool3:

Oh heck yeah. That's why it was so surprising that I had to take weeks and weeks and weeks to work through the card entries in the book. I really wanted to hurry to get away from that silly but pretty Flower deck, but this deck wouldn't be hurried! But I shouldn't be surprised really, considering the theme. It's hardly a breezy, flirtatious deck. :p