MAAT Study Group- 3 of Wands

juliecucciawatts

Week of the First Quarter Moon in Gemini
"The first quarter moon phase symbolizes the power of reconstruction. After foundations are destroyed rethinking and reconstruction of a situation is brought to the forefront."
3 of Wands
Planetary ruler Neptune

The image for three of wands is 18th century students and scholars taking notes on a model of the heliocentric solar system. This card suggests the use of tools and materials to grasp a progressive knowledge of the universe. Passing knowledge from one generation to the next by use of the written word, mathematics, art, music and oral instruction. The card symbolizes greater awareness through education and innovation. This card also reflects the student who learns from his teacher, the teacher who learns from his student. Expanding on what you know through experimentation that leads to a profound discovery. Being at the edge of discovery use of the microcosm to understand the macrocosm. Inspiration and understanding comes from the use of scale models, math formulas, blue prints, preliminary sketches, and the rough draft, a few notes jotted on paper.

I think the most important thing about this card is the sense of discovery. Once you have learned the 'information' indicated by this card it is one of those "eureka" moments that you are forever changed by. Much like when people first realized the planets were orbiting the sun and not spinning around the earth. Or that the earth was round and not flat. This card is all about explaining new information that you can build on... note in the Gemini moon cards below the phases show how the differing phases impact the idea of learning new information. Looking to the opposite moon phases is also interesting. The first quarter moon in Sagittarius is the 3 of coins it is all about manifesting new ideas as opposed to just explaining.

Traditional tarot meaning: turning away from the past with hope for the future

In a reading: This card represents the understanding of complex systems by the use of scale models. Technology used in the process of teaching.

Other Gemini moon cards...

new moon in Gemini (May 21-June 20)

Embarking on a journey or quest, with the lesson learned a relationship ends.
-----

full moon in Gemini (Nov.22-Dec.20)

The Widow
-----
last quarter moon in Gemini(Aug 23-Sept 22)

Deja' vu

This is the time of the year when the sun crosses back over its path and begins its journey toward shorter and shorter days.
-----

Full Moon Cycle of Gemini

(Nov22-Dec 20)

The Ancient Egyptian myth of Shu and Tefnut twin lions.

Have a great week,
Julie

Attachments

• 3ofwands.jpg
    3ofwands.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 203

Penthasilia

Maat tarot IDS

Card/Number: 3 of Wands/34

Card Image: see attached

First Impression: Nice idea on this card, very appropriate, the movement of science. You can almost visualize the current theme of quantum physics.

Card Description: A place of learning, in the center is a display/model of the heliocentric solar system, with men, women and children surrounding it.

Masculine/Feminine/Neutral: neutral

Senses: You can feel the high emotions in the room- the excitement of the forward-thinking scientists, the rage and fear of the old regime an the wonder of the children as they look to the model and listen to the speaker.

Symbols: solar system, books, place of learning, science

Story (intuitive): "Science," I mutter "how bittersweet in a way. It makes complete sense for this card, yet it has taken away as much as it has given in some regards." Then I hear that silky masculine voice, "No love," replies my consort, "it is not science that stole spirituality. Man gave it away. The idea of leaving the old to go to the new is not to be blamed, nor is science. You can see even now how the new physics seeks to return back to spirit. But, let it be a warning to you, a warning for this idea/card. Humankind has a difficult habit of believing that it must be all or nothing. That is simply untrue. You can leave the past to go to the future, but only leave that behind which hinders you. Take that which feeds you, and you will find that it only enriches that you move toward. But never forget, you must grasp the new- do you really want to remain in that tired old regime that refuses to see a new truth? No, I thought not. You are conflicted because this choice is one you are sitting in now, yet in truth you have already chosen. This will become more clear in time.". I nod, his words are duly noted. In the end, we chose what we take with us, if only the memories.

Astrologic: week of the first quarter moon in Gemini, planetary ruler: Neptune

Element: air

Keywords: future, technology, science

Meanings: leaving the past to turn to the future, understanding of complex systems by use of models, technology in teaching

Quote: "Look to the future, but take from the past what you need."

Attachments

• 3ofwands.jpg
    3ofwands.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 202

annik

By seeing the two little ones between the two standing men, I thought that even if we get explanations, sometimes, we still are in fascination toward something. I think of the two rovers on Mars as example. The science is there but the idea of sending a device so far away is an amazing feast. So this card is evoking that. Even if science is making progress, there is still a sense of marvel to our sourrounding. There is people who still see the beauty and the fascination toward certain discoveries or explanations.