the Ludy Lescott Tarot - one to look out for

Essjay

I think that's what I sort of like about it...

I totally agree :) I should have said that I do absolutely love this deck and yes, probably because it's a little bit bonkers. I'm keen to get reading with it - I have a feeling it might be surprising.

DaughterOfDanu

Does the LWB say anything about who Ludy Lescot is other than what we know?

Red_Ocean

Yowza the minors certainly are interesting. It's all a bit Medea as a Telenovela directed by Dario Argento. Can't wait!

Hahahaha... I never saw it that way :D

Le Fanu

mmm... received it in the post today. Meh. Not as weird as I expected. It looks mostly RWS-recognisable to me. Except the Courts, but then they never do. But most of it can (with a bit of imagination) be bent to something RWS-ish

There's a whorish vibe about it. Masked women and exchanges (the Aces particularly), bursting cleavage by night and brooding men watching mysteriously and looming out of shadows. That was my first impression.

It's so much greyer than Evangelisti's (?) Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn, which seems much more dynamic and colourful.

Essjay

I'm sort of falling in love with this deck. Have just ordered it a bag from Sulis which means, as far as I'm concerned, that it's a keeper.

I'm really not sure why, just can't put it down.

Lol at "whorish vibe" - love that.

Le Fanu

Well, at least you don't hate it. Right?
I never hate LoS decks. There's always something to stretch you. Or - best of all - something that makes you question what you think you want in tarot. I like that. But I do think the sub-plot is that she's a prostitute.

Essjay

But I do think the sub-plot is that she's a prostitute.

Poor old Ludy ;)

Have you seen that grave stone though with Ludy's name on it? - hold on, will check the card and get back to you. That has piqued my interest. Why would she depict herself as dead? Is she dead?

From the LWB I get the idea that the supposed Ludy had a deck gifted to her that is ancient and this deck formed the basis of the LL. The artist has taken her vision and produced what we now have. Interesting.

Eta: The gravestone card is the nine of wands.

Le Fanu

Have you seen that grave stone though with Ludy's name on it - hold on, will check the card and get back to you. That has piqued my interest. Why would she depict herself as dead? Is she dead?
The former self, the former Ludy. Dashing out to work right now. But those stabbed babies? Are they abortions?

Essjay

The former self, the former Ludy. Dashing out to work right now. But those stabbed babies? Are they abortions?

Ack, hadn't even thought about that. The SBC (stabbed baby card) is horrible, it's the one card I don't like. It's the first time I've ever wanted a blank card to just put in its place!