Shadowscapes: how many are there???

greatdane

Is the new one different?

I see on the cards section of AT, it has updated card images listed under July. The images seem less busy to me or something. I've always thought this was a beautiful deck, but just too much detail. Yet looking at the updated cards, somehow it seems...different...from the earlier ones. Can anyone clarify?

Tibor

I am visiting my home town in Hungary and I managed to grab a copy of the Hungarian version. It comes in a compact sturdy box and the cards (made of thick card stock) are much bigger so you see more of the picture and have golden gilded edges!!! It comes with a small handy book which must have the same content as the original version (translated into Hungarian). Overall I was very impressed with it and I am sure they were printed in China. The bookshop where I bought it had only one copy on display (which I bought) but I might go back to see if they have more copies because these kind of decks will not be around for long.

Melia

@greatdane - the updated card images are the same as in the deck. (Curiously, I was actually looking at this yesterday). Note that the physical card images themselves are larger.

@Tibor - that's an odd thing, given Llewellyn's cardstock is consistently the same - i.e. thin and flexible. Any chance we can see some sample images of those cards? And, how much larger are these cards? I would love to buy a copy, as this is one of my favourite decks.

Tibor

I don't have the Llewellyn version with me to compare but the cards are about the same size as that of the Touchstone Tarot. Although I can not provide measurements, one thing is for sure and that is that they are definitely larger than the Lewellyn version. Btw this deck is published by Synergie not Llewellyn. The cards have a lovely sturdy slightly shiny card stock with the gilded edges which is a big plus and they shuffle like a dream. Although I would have used silver instead of gold but nevertheless it is breathtakingly beautiful. I highly suspect that they are printed in China. As for buying options, unfortunately there are very few. There is the website of this Czech Publishing House from Prague (Synergie) but oddly enough you can not view the website in English and I'm not even sure if they ship to UK or US. There are also some Hungarian online bookshops but I haven't tried those either. By the way Synergie also published this deck in several other eastern european languages and I belive they are in the same format. Also the book that came with it was also very lovely. It is a pocket sized book with almost 300 pages although if you can not speak the languge it is not much use for you. I might go back to town today to see if they have more copies left but it was not very cheap either (22 euros) although considering that I'm going back to UK on Saturday and will not be able to ever buy this deck I think it's worth the price.

greatdane

Thanks Melia!

Well that would explain why images I saw don't look as "busy" :) The first images I saw a couple years ago look more crammed together, as in lots of detail on a small space. Beautiful deck.