Public Domain Decks

Ipseity

Do we know of any decks that are in the public domain? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Marseilles is, but any others?

Zephyros

Ironically, the Pam-A is in the public domain.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/

Holly Voley has graciously scanned a set of vintage Tarot cards for sacred-texts, the earliest in her collection. These images can be viewed when you click on any of the black and white thumbnails in the Pictorial Key to the Tarot, or in the right-hand frame in the Tarot card reader. They can also be viewed sequentially in the Tarot Card Cross-reference. These Tarot card images are unambiguously in the public domain in the United States, and differ only slightly from the US Games Tarot deck. This deck is the one known as the 'Pamela-A' deck with the dried mud pattern on the back of the cards. There are also high resolution images of three of the Pamela-A cards available below in the Tarot Card Comparison essay.

USG, however, would probably disagree, showing that public domain is a matter of how much money you have.

tarotbear

Usgs

2021 is not all that long away ...

Le Fanu

This book has some public domain decks. Most of the ones illustrated are only parts of decks but I have a feeling one or maybe two decks are included in their entirety. I forget which ones. I have the book + CDRom and it's copyright free but it's at the other house so I can't check but someone will come along and clarify...

MarkMcElroy

Wow, thanks for that reference. As it turns out, this book features ten entire decks (though I'm not sure which ten decks that would be!). And since they're all part of a royalty-free resource, once you buy the book, you can go to town on these images with no fear of copyright issues.

It's a great find Thanks again!

Le Fanu

I knew the book was a good deal and I knew not all decks were complete but it's worth buying...

I can check which ten decks are included and post here unless someone else gets there before me.