Word of One Tarot Deck

Tarotwolf

I was wandering through Etsy last night and noticed that the Word of One deck was listed. This is one of my favorite vintage decks and is fairly difficult to find. It turns out that this Etsy seller has several copies of this deck and nothing else. He must have come across a horde of them! The listing does say they are from the original 1992 printing and they sure look like the cards in the boxed set I already have.

The price is cheap so I went ahead and ordered another copy (if these really are the original decks, they're a bargain). If anyone would like to check them out, I've attached the link below.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/155636389/word-of-one-tarot-deck-set-t-the-new?ref=shop_home_active

gregory

Depends on what you mean by a new edition. T- the New Tarot was kind of the original, in the 70s, with only the coloured 79 card deck. The three deck one came out in 1992, and even on my box it says something about being a new edition (I don't have it with me, but that's what my database says it says) - and mine is a 1992 one.

Melia

You could well be right gregory. I knew that 3 decks had been combined for the 1992 edition, but on the web page he speaks about a re-launch as well, and I assumed a re-print. Whatever the case, the deck is available again for those that want it without the need to sell a kidney to buy it.

gregory

It says whoever is selling them is selling the last of the Cookes' stock, with their permission.

Tarotwolf

This makes sense then. I read somewhere a while back that the heirs to the Estate had some extra stock. Also, thanks for the reference to their website. I watched the first video on their site last night and got a kick out of it. Mr. Cooke was quite the dramatic character! It would have been interesting to have known him.

I first became interested in this deck when I picked up a spiral-bound paperback that had punchouts of the different majors comprising the deck. The history of this deck, how it was created, and the people involved with its creation is a great story.

gregory

This makes sense then. I read somewhere a while back that the heirs to the Estate had some extra stock. Also, thanks for the reference to their website. I watched the first video on their site last night and got a kick out of it. Mr. Cooke was quite the dramatic character! It would have been interesting to have known him.

I first became interested in this deck when I picked up a spiral-bound paperback that had punchouts of the different majors comprising the deck. The history of this deck, how it was created, and the people involved with its creation is a great story.

Communify ? That is a VERY hard one to find - I've got one too. It was a prototype sent out to publishers, in the hope that... In the end they gave up and published T on its own. (Mine has a letter from his wife in it...)

Tarotwolf

Yep, thats the one. Seeing the images in that booklet is what sent me on an almost year long search for the Word of One deck. It took a long time and cost me a pretty penny, but I finally acquired the boxed set. The deck just has a sense of mystery and nostalgia about it - characteristics that originally attracted me to tarot in the first place.

gregory

You are the ONLY other person I have ever heard of with a copy ! HELLOOOOO ! It's fascinating, isn't it ? :D I already had T - this was a revelation.

Tarotwolf

I like the concept of having the images evolve stylistically over three "epochs" of human experiential development. The interpretational possibilities during a reading, with three sets of different major arcana within the same deck, are greatly expanded. Applying the traits of a specific "epoch" or "age" to a single card's traditional interpretation can provide an added layer of insight to any question put forward in a reading. The key point is that shared human experiences evolve over time - not necessarily the specific experience but its interpretation in terms of meaning and value.

Gregory, I can't claim to have known it was scarce when I got my copy of Communify from good old Ebay. I don't exactly remember but I think I was the only bidder - nobody else seemed to be interested. I guess trolling Ebay's hundreds of listings can pay off every once in a while! It's pretty cool that your copy has a personal letter attached to it. Was it addressing a potential deck publisher?