English translation of Hadar's LWB

Aure

I would be more than happy if someone could come up with an english translation of Hadar's LWB!!! :)

I have only studied french briefly in high school (2 courses) so I'm a beginner at it (although in the future I am going to learn more because it might just be that in a couple of years I will be working in Paris but that is another story).
I have also studied 2 courses of spanish and italian and I guess that helps a little because I can understand word from here and there.

The LWB seems to contain interesting info on the whole restoration process and tarot history but unfortunately my limited skills prevent me from understanding it fully. Also, does Kris Hadar write in some french canadian dialect? That is what I'm suspecting.

Why oh why doesn't anyone want to write a book in english for us? How long must we wait? A comprehensive book on TdM history, interpretation systems etc. would definately be placed in an honorary place in my bookshelf...

jmd

I'd be happy to assist... as soon as I find where I've put my copy.

Shalott

jmd...you would rock even more than you already do.

tmgrl2

You can also go to his website if you like:

http://www.krishadar.com/

sign up for free and explore in English, his meanings for numbers and cards....don't need to be an active member to participate...

like jmd, my LWB for Hadar is "lost" in translation...I would say go to the website and see if you like what you find there...

Personally, I feel there is much available here in the Marseilles forum on all the Marseilles decks that you will resonate with as you read through the various threads on individual cards. I have a long way to go...but all of it is helpful to some degree, even if it helps me decide what doesn't work for me.

terri

Rusty Neon

French

Aure said:
The LWB seems to contain interesting info on the whole restoration process and tarot history but unfortunately my limited skills prevent me from understanding it fully. Also, does Kris Hadar write in some french canadian dialect? That is what I'm suspecting.

Diana once mentioned that, although Hadar lived in Quebec, he is originally from France. I don't know how old Hadar was when he came to Quebec. While I don't own the Hadar deck (as I'm trying to keep my tarot purchases in line), you have me intrigued when you say that he writes in French-Canadian dialect. Could you give a sample passage? (French-Canadians generally 'write' in 'international' French especially in formal contexts such as a LWB would be.)

tmgrl2

Sorry, Aure...forgot to mention something important about LWB and Hadar...in an earlier contact with Diana, she mentioned that she is planning to do a translation of Hadar's LWB perhaps sometime this summer...it will then be available in English at Hadar's website to download....That will be a great addition! to his deck and his site...

terri

Aure

Long time no see! I finally got back here...

What I meant by a dialect was that some of the card names are very different from modern french, maybe it is old french? For example the queen is royne (usually reine) and the star is estoille and not etoile. I'm sorry If I wrote them wrong but I am too lazy to go and check right now...

Rusty Neon

Aure said:
What I meant by a dialect was that some of the card names are very different from modern french, maybe it is old french? For example the queen is royne (usually reine) and the star is estoille and not etoile.

Those are supposed to be Old French. However, it's interesting to note that various spellings Hadar that uses are different from those in the 1760 Conver (including the spellings for Queen and Star). He felt it necessary to do this in the course of re-creating the Ür-Tarot (i.e., which was his mission rather than restoring the Marseilles).

You can read Hadar's explanation regarding the spellings at:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21791