What have I got here? Or questions about card makers

Major Tom

I visited Amazon through the Aeclectic link last week and saw a Lo Scarabeo deck offered as new by a 3rd party seller. It arrived yesterday, and I've been trying to figure out what I've got. It doesn't appear to be one of those shown on Felicity's Website.

The LWB is the only place a copyright appears and the date is 2000. The LWB says that this edition is a 'reconstruction'. The scroll around the 2 of Coins reads Edizioni D'Arte Lo Scarabeo Torino 1987. The 2 of Cups carries an ornate crest and the initials CB and the 4 of coins carries a different ornate crest. The mostly red box has the name Claude Burdel and the year 1751, combined on one side with the Fool and the other side, Judgement. :laugh: The Sun appears on the front of the box and the Lovers on the back.

I had thought when I bought it I would be getting a Conver. Clearly, I've got something else. The cards however are beautiful so I won't be sending it back. :laugh:

Now I've seen lots of discussion about 3 card makers, i.e., Noblet, Dodal and Conver, but I've never heard about Burdel. Was Burdel a follower of one of these three? Probably not Conver who I seem to remember started in 1760. I am seeing details in this deck that I've not seen in others, not that my familiarity is that complete...

Does anyone have a definitive list of Tarot of Marseilles card makers? Or if not definitive, at least a start which could be added to? Wouldn't it be extremely useful to know the names of the various makers, versions they were making and the dates the cards first appeared?

Major Tom

Just to post a scan of the 2 of Cups:

Attachments

• sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 190

Major Tom

Just to post a scan of the 4 of Coins:

Attachments

• sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 178

Major Tom

Just to post a scan of the 2 of Coins:

Attachments

• sample3.jpg
    sample3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 179

Diana

Major Tom :

Claude Burdel is the master card-maker of the Swiss Tarot. He created it in 1751. (Some of his descendents still live in Fribourg where he lived.) He used to live in the Rue des Hôpitaux Devant. Next time I go to Fribourg (it’s only a half hour drive from where I live) I will see if this street still exists and will take a photo for you. :)

And perhaps I should make the effort one day to try and track down his ancestors to see if they have any tid-bits to share with us. :)

Here is a link (in French) to a page where you can see the original 2 of Coins.

http://membres.lycos.fr/tarobat/mesjeux/Jeux.htm

(I'll translate the page for you if you need a translation.)

Excellent idea about making a thread about card-makers!

Major Tom

Brilliant link Diana, thank you. :) A translation would be most useful, but not entirely necessary. The photo of the street would be fascinating.

I found Le Nouveau Tarot de Marseilles exceptionally interesting. ;)