Thoughts on the Celtic Cross

Inana

I don't like the CC and I never use it, but it's being interesting to read about different position meanings and variations.

Barleywine

I"ve done the CC a few different ways, but what I really appreciated (that I only saw recently when looking into variations) is Joan Bunning's chart on the different positions. She gives a sort of 'sliding scale' for each position's implication on the spread, and it seemed very sturdy to me. It's not a landmark deviation, but it is a bit more encompassing.

Here's her chart.

Thanks for the link! The only positions for which I share no commonality at all with Bunning are Position #5, where I side with Anthony Louis in calling it the "present" (although I was doing it for a long time before I knew that), and Position #7, where I tweak Waite's interpretation of "Himself" (or the Self in all its variations) to capture Eden Gray's suggestion of the Self struggling to come to grips with what has just been revealed in the "near future" card (aka "fears"). I don't see any particular position as "guidance" or "advice" because I think that's what the whole spread is about, although the "outcome" card usually carries more weight than the rest in that regard. Finally, since I see the first six cards as more about the issue itself and not about the querent's status, I reserve the whole "unconscious/conscious" axis to "staff" positions #7 and #9, to the extent that I use them at all, since I tend not to try to glean psychological insights from the CC (or from the tarot in general). I prefer to stay focused on events, actions and reactions.

MandMaud

I"ve done the CC a few different ways, but what I really appreciated (that I only saw recently when looking into variations) is Joan Bunning's chart on the different positions. She gives a sort of 'sliding scale' for each position's implication on the spread, and it seemed very sturdy to me. It's not a landmark deviation, but it is a bit more encompassing.

Here's her chart.

Thanks, that is interesting.

I'm intrigued to see that her positions 7 and 8 include the senses "You as You See Yourself" and "You as Others See You" respectively. They match mine... I'm pretty sure I didn't see this chart when I was devising mine! It sort of corroborates that I am finally tuning in to what the CC is about. :D

=Barleywine]I don't see any particular position as "guidance" or "advice" because I think that's what the whole spread is about, although the "outcome" card usually carries more weight than the rest in that regard.

You have put into words the reason I've never liked the "advice" position in any spread!

Also your anti-psychology feeling made me think more deeply and realise I go along with that, with regard to the CC if not tarot overall. Quite often I do find a lot of psychological insight in the cards, but the CC doesn't feel as if it's about that. Hence I've edited my post to add "as relating to this situation" to positions 7 and 8. For me these are about the querent's perceived role and/or attitude within context, not in general.

Holly doll

Used to use it, but there are so many more succinct spreads...

Barleywine

Used to use it, but there are so many more succinct spreads...

The Celtic Cross is in fact the only "standard" spread I use in its entirety (the Opening of the Key first operation is a limited endeavor); all of the other spreads I use are of my own design (being "themed" or subject-specific) and yes, they are for the most part much more succinct because of their limited scope. But for me the Celtic Cross is more about wallowing in the details and exploring interesting side trips. It's arguably more of a situational life-reading spread than a single-track question-answering one. It's probably loved by as many people as hate it, and has been around for a long time.

Holly doll

The Celtic Cross is in fact the only "standard" spread I use in its entirety (the Opening of the Key first operation is a limited endeavor); all of the other spreads I use are of my own design (being "themed" or subject-specific) and yes, they are for the most part much more succinct because of their limited scope. But for me the Celtic Cross is more about wallowing in the details and exploring interesting side trips. It's arguably more of a situational life-reading spread than a single-track question-answering one. It's probably loved by as many people as hate it, and has been around for a long time.

The Mabon Gate spread is one I use if I'm looking for in depth for myself. For clients I tend to use some of Glass Owls spreads, or the planetary spread :)