Visconti Decks

Moonbow

I would like to know whether anyone uses a Visconti deck for readings and how they interpret them.

I have the beautiful Visconti Sforza - Il Meneghello, which is 'almost' too special to use. I've been studying it mainly, but I really would like to have a go at reading with this deck, so....

How? :)

Would you read the Majors as you would a marseilles deck and interpret the minors by element and number? Or is there a completely different way of reading with these?

Rusty Neon

Hi Moonbow* .... I don't own a Visconti deck but I'll throw my 2 bits (25 cents Canadian) in.

As I understand that the Visconti decks were never used for divination in their day, anything goes as far as using such decks for divination now.

To me, it seems natural to read a Visconti similar to the way I would read a Marseilles deck.

Many of the majors are different from a Marseilles of course, so you may wish to check out Robert O'Neill's articles at tarot.com on tarot iconography for background.

As for the numbered minors, I'd use number and suit - but also try to have regard to the non-pictorial 'images', although this may be more difficult with the Visconti as the Visconti numbered minors are less varied across the suit than in the case of the Marseilles. Despite any LWB that may come with the deck, I personally wouldn't be attracted to using Etteilla or other 'traditional' meanings, all the more so since the Visconti wasn't used for divination in its time.

For the courts, I'd look at the images, while also having regard to rank and suit.

Enjoy your journey with the Visconti!

Moonbow

Thank you for your comments Rusty

There's something quite exciting about trying out something new in tarot and for me reading with these will be a challenge. Why have I never read the Tarot.com site before? There is so much information here - thank you.

jmd

Good to see Moonbow* has joined those who enjoy studying various aspects of the Visconti - and possibly using the cards for readings :)

With regards to reading with it, and whether or not they may have been used for 'readings' at the time (very likely not in the sense we use it nowadays), much has not changed: most of the Atouts/Majors/Triumphs have clear pictorial reference to stature, or to virtue, or indeed other identifiable state.

One of the fascinating questions which continues to have gaps is not only to whom may each of the characters depicted be portraitures of, but also, importantly, to whom may they have symbolically alluded to - ie, reading the cards as not only possible Visconti family and relatives, but as pictorially standing in for or representing an important and even other-worldly personage (as the Pope, for example, stands for the representative of God/Christ on Earth).

Whilst reading, then, furthering not only study, but, importantly, reflections on the possible connections amongst the cards, may indeed be useful.

Unlike Marseille decks, as this remains un-numbered, it is also worthwhile considering various possible arrangements - with and without the recently added Devil and Tower, and with and without the earlier possibly added Strength, Temperance, Star, Moon, Sun and World cards.