A New TdM based on Pierre Madenié, made in Japan -- utterly charming deck!

MoonGypsy

Oh these are so lovely! i only just saw this thread...sigh...
My timing has been a little off, lately. :)

prudence

Thank you, Kenji!! Mine arrived just now, so fast! (and I only had mine shipped using regular mail)

I too love the coloring of the cards, the off white background, and the more earthy tones to the coloring is very attractive. As small as it is, it's so nice that I can see the expressions on the faces of the characters.

avalonian

Mine has now arrived and it is lovely. Small enough to carry around but not so small that you have to squint to see the images, and the expressions on the faces are very clear. Feels lovely to shuffle as well.

Thanks again Kenji.

:) :) :)

delizt

Thank you SO much, Kenji! My lovely deck arrived today...it's adorable size and lovely coloring make it a perfect pocket deck.

garmonbozia

Oh these are so lovely! i only just saw this thread...sigh...
My timing has been a little off, lately. :)

mine too! drat!

Kenji, please PM me if there is another order in the future. Thanks!

tarot heart

Hello Kenji,

I have received the deck yesterday. It is very lovely but it does not look like the deck in the photo where you are holding the cards in your hand. The deck I received has cardstock that is very cream or beige in color. The cards in the photo looks like the cardstock is more off white, or at least more white than cream or beige. Do I have a different deck than everyone else? It's not that I don't like it but I wasn't expecting the background to be this dark. What do you make of this? Thank you.

tarot heart

Yves Le Marseillais

Well arrived in Marseilles City

This little Tarot of Marseilles pattern landed in South France Provence last Monday 19th August.

Well, what can I say:

Firstly a big hug to our passionate Kenji who is performing an in depth work for spreading Tarot knowledge worldwide via his discovery, advises and historically grounded reflexions.

Secondly I will give you my positive and less positive comments on this Made in Japan small deck.

Positive points:

A small deck is always useful for travellers who likes to see their deck everywhere.

It's a Tarot of Marseilles pattern deck: You know that it's the real Tarot deck pattern in my opinion.

Based on best engraved TdM deck: Tarot of Pierre Madenié 1709. Just see this Masterpiece and compare it with Conver or ANY competitor for verification. See my own website for example.

Respect of colour zones and black lines: I dream to later publish a perfect version of what Sir Madenié wanted to publish and failed to do because of his period technology.

No "ghost traces": Eyes will be more concentrated on images probably. This deck is not a facsimile.

Good colours: It's an important point for pleasure and spreads.

Satin finition and easy to manipulate: No reflects and easy shuffling.

Less positive comments:

Rounded corners: I really don't like round corners (it's personal of course). Here rounds should have been with a smaller radius for example.

Bateleur right arm badly designed: I don't remember any old deck with such design.

Backs: This small deck is not a facsimile so back is different; Publisher option anyway.

No English translation of publisher Japanese wording: I am curious to see this informations. May be our friend Kenji will help ;) ????

Up to now I have not yet seen any other influence than Pierre Madenié deck on this small deck: Anybody has seen Conver or Camoin/Jodo traces ?

This said, I am happy to put this little Japanese son of my Pierre Madenié facsimile close his French father on my shelve in front of my computer.

It's an honour to see that Pierre Madenié work inspired some publisher abroad.
I suppose (and hope) that this old craftsman is now informed of modern influence he is now exercising 300 years later.

Happy spreads and collection to all of you forumers,

Yves

kalliope

I received my deck today and I'm very pleased with it! I love the colors and shading, the cardstock is nice and satiny, and the size makes it very charming. I think it will become my most-used TdM, since I tend to gravitate towards smaller decks.

I hadn't actually expected it to be quite so small (despite Kenji's handheld photo), but it's the size of a Lo Scarabeo Mini, for anyone wondering. It's a size I've always liked! So it's a little smaller than typical pocket decks, which are usually closer to poker cards. These still handle easily, though, due to their length.

Tarot Heart, you're right that they are a darker cream color than they appear in most of the photos. I think it's hard to know how much is lighting and contrast when it comes to whites in pictures, and it's probably difficult to capture accurately.

I find the backs to be charming and I like the design, but I think a different color would have complemented the deck more. When you lay both face-up and face-down cards on the table, the rose shade doesn't quite match the colors in the cards themselves.

Anyhow, thanks again for bringing this deck to our attention, Kenji, and for doing all the work to handle the group order! It's much appreciated. :)

Bluefeet

I received mine today as well, and it's adorable! The card stock is nice and shuffles smoothly, cards are tiny but the image quality is still excellent. The instruction sheet with key words is very sweet. It's no doubt a welcome addition to my TdM collection! Thank you so much Kenji for doing this! :love:

tarot heart

Tarot Heart, you're right that they are a darker cream color than they appear in most of the photos. I think it's hard to know how much is lighting and contrast when it comes to whites in pictures, and it's probably difficult to capture accurately.

I find the backs to be charming and I like the design, but I think a different color would have complemented the deck more. When you lay both face-up and face-down cards on the table, the rose shade doesn't quite match the colors in the cards themselves.

Thank you kalliope for confirming the coloring is different than the one in Kenji's hand. At least I know I have the right deck. I guess it is just the lighting and screen variation which has made the deck appear much lighter in the pictures. I would have preferred the lighter background, but it is still a very, very nicely done deck.

And I agree with you also that the backs should have been different, although they are still pleasing to the eye.

Thank you Kenji for arranging everything and getting the decks out so quickly! :heart: