6 cups and Devil - confusing combination

teapot

I've been getting the devil and 6 cups in a lot of readings recently, for a sitter on a relationship that itself (ie just the two people's connection) seems positive and almost fated. The relationship emerged in difficult circumstances and one of the couple is now questioning the basis of their love. Most recently the devil and 6 cups were part of a bigger reading on whether the other half of the couple truly loves her (he certainly believes he does!!)

Is the 6 cups and Devil ever a positive combo? I've seen a lot of readers looking at 6 cups as being about the past, or a soul mate connection. In this sitter's context I am torn between seeing the combo with the devil as a) an obsession with an ideal image of their relationship and b) a truly strong bond between them.

Id love some insights into this card combo before I tell my sitter her relationship is based on fantasy and unhealthy addiction!!

Barleywine

I've been getting the devil and 6 cups in a lot of readings recently, for a sitter on a relationship that itself (ie just the two people's connection) seems positive and almost fated. The relationship emerged in difficult circumstances and one of the couple is now questioning the basis of their love. Most recently the devil and 6 cups were part of a bigger reading on whether the other half of the couple truly loves her (he certainly believes he does!!)

Is the 6 cups and Devil ever a positive combo? I've seen a lot of readers looking at 6 cups as being about the past, or a soul mate connection. In this sitter's context I am torn between seeing the combo with the devil as a) an obsession with an ideal image of their relationship and b) a truly strong bond between them.

Id love some insights into this card combo before I tell my sitter her relationship is based on fantasy and unhealthy addiction!!

There would seem to be a good deal of dynamic tension between these two cards. Aleister Crowley considered the 6 of Cups to represent pleasure "in its highest sense" (well-being, harmony of natural forces without effort or strain, ease, satisfaction) with no hint about it of "the gratification of natural or artificial desires." This latter sort of base sensual fixation is the Devil's normal mode of operation, so there could be some kind of moral crisis going on in the mind of the doubting one. It's interesting, though, that the number of the Devil, 15, reduces numerologically to 6, tying it to the Lovers and also to the 6 of Cups. Perhaps the Devil has more to say about "true love" than we're willing to admit.

IndigoWaves

I'd tend to see a Devil/6 of Cups combo as one party basically getting off on the other's "innocent" positivity or child-like, youthful openness and gentle emotionality. Any related power-tripping or domination/control urges may be safely relegated to the bedroom, at least initially, but the Devil's energy does tend to build and seep out, causing unexpected havoc over time. It's a rather unsettling pair, with the 6 of Cups likely to insist, "Aww, he's just a big sweetheart!" -- being overly trusting and glossing over warning signs, or naïvely missing them altogether.

teapot

There would seem to be a good deal of dynamic tension between these two cards. Aleister Crowley considered the 6 of Cups to represent pleasure "in its highest sense" (well-being, harmony of natural forces without effort or strain, ease, satisfaction) with no hint about it of "the gratification of natural or artificial desires." This latter sort of base sensual fixation is the Devil's normal mode of operation, so there could be some kind of moral crisis going on in the mind of the doubting one. It's interesting, though, that the number of the Devil, 15, reduces numerologically to 6, tying it to the Lovers and also to the 6 of Cups. Perhaps the Devil has more to say about "true love" than we're willing to admit.

This certainly resonates for the context of these readings. There is definitely a situation that could be described as a moral crisis in the mind of the sitter - and being quite close to her, at times I feel my cards reflect my view on her situation (ie not 'objective' reading). The numerological link is really interesting - the sitter's partner seems to be embodying the addiction of the devil in terms of his desire to be with her. Thanks for your take on this, Barleywine

teapot

I'd tend to see a Devil/6 of Cups combo as one party basically getting off on the other's "innocent" positivity or child-like, youthful openness and gentle emotionality. Any related power-tripping or domination/control urges may be safely relegated to the bedroom, at least initially, but the Devil's energy does tend to seep out and cause unexpected havoc over time... So I'd see this as an unsettling pair, with the 6 of Cups insisting, "Aww, he's just a big sweetheart!" -- being overly trusting and glossing over warning signs, or naïvely missing them altogether.

Hi Indigowaves, that makes a lot of sense overall - that's how I'd read the cards generally. The complicating factor here is there is a kindness on his part that even I've been impressed by in terms of what he does for the sitter. He has often come up as the king of Cups in readings that specifically ask about his character and role in their relationship. That's why I'm so confused to see 6 cups and the devil in the last few readings. I do think that the sitter's partner, oddly enough, needs to be more open with his emotions in relation to the issue they are trying to resolve - your point about getting off on the openness and gentle emotionally of one partner resonated - I feel he is likely secure in that love and doesn't want to do anything to jeapordise it. Thanks for your insights!

tapasr_57772aeb7

The Devil is an excellent card to denote that fated description you used. You just gotta do it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Farzon

Perhaps the Devil has more to say about "true love" than we're willing to admit.
This! So much...
I've had the Devil coming up in love issues for me. Can't true love be really obsessive? I found that it can, or maybe even has to.

Also sexuality is an integral part of any romantic relationship, so the Devil could hint at the raw urges present in a relationship. Staying with Crowley "love under will" would most probably be the antithesis to this, but maybe the antithesis to most human relationships...

headincloud

With the devil being control, illusion, deception and materialism I fail to see how this is a positive combo. Difficult to tie the cards together but one may be taking advantage of the others generosity with the 6C and or there may be restricted movement or freedom within the relationship.

IndigoWaves

He has often come up as the king of Cups in readings that specifically ask about his character and role in their relationship. That's why I'm so confused to see 6 cups and the devil in the last few readings. I do think that the sitter's partner, oddly enough, needs to be more open with his emotions in relation to the issue they are trying to resolve - your point about getting off on the openness and gentle emotionally of one partner resonated - I feel he is likely secure in that love and doesn't want to do anything to jeapordise it.
A person doesn't have to be "all bad" to fall into devilish habits, and the King of Cups isn't necessarily above emotional manipulation; he's usually well aware of others' feelings and able to keep his own in check quite easily... So maybe a form of Devil-like control now emerging is his tendency to withhold the emotional connection that the 6 of Cups person has been eagerly trying to encourage/"extract"?

Another possibility (not knowing the card positions, etc.) is that he's sensing chains in her behaviour... If she's after much more demonstrative "feeling sharing" than he is, or seeking too much emotional attention for his liking, it might seem immaturely cloying (6C) and an effort to ensnare (Devil). The King may be very understanding in that case but still careful to maintain some distance. Just more ideas...

Barleywine

A person doesn't have to be "all bad" to fall into devilish habits, and the King of Cups isn't necessarily above emotional manipulation; he's usually well aware of others' feelings and able to keep his own in check quite easily... So maybe a form of Devil-like control now emerging is his tendency to withhold the emotional connection that the 6 of Cups person has been eagerly trying to encourage/"extract"?

Nice image! It makes me think of him "metering out" his feelings as a kind of "lure" to keep her "on the hook," so to speak. I agree the King of Cups can be emotionally manipulative when he isn't too lackadaisical to bother.