When court cards show up as someone's feelings

RainatDayBreak

Based on many threads I read here, it seems that when a court card shows up as someone's feelings, it means that the person in question feels like that court card in relation to the querent, and NOT that the person in question feels that the querent has the attributes of the court card. Is that generally correct?

(So, for example, if the Knight of Cups shows up as someone's feelings towards the querent, it means the person in question has romantic feelings for the querent but not that the person in question feels that the querent has romantic feelings for them. Is this generally the right way to interpret court cards in the position of feelings?)

Sharla

From the cards you get, depending on how many you use, you should be able to get a feel of who the court card is representing as in my experience this could be either.

Usually the cards surrounding the specific court card gives clues to which person it is.

rwcarter

If you're doing a reading on John's feelings for Jane and you get a court card, then the court card is discussing John's feelings for Jane because that's what you asked about.

If you'd asked how does John see Jane, then the court card would say that John sees Jane as having the characteristics of the court card.

The question you ask and any positional meaning for the card in the spread (if it uses them) will inform how the card is to be interpreted.

Rodney

Sharla

If you're doing a reading on John's feelings for Jane and you get a court card, then the court card is discussing John's feelings for Jane because that's what you asked about.

If you'd asked how does John see Jane, then the court card would say that John sees Jane as having the characteristics of the court card.

The question you ask and any positional meaning for the card in the spread (if it uses them) will inform how the card is to be interpreted.

Rodney

I understand what your saying rwcarter, but what about if you get two court cards for instance, then this could show both parties feelings, depending on surrounding cards of the court cards.

Plus in many of my readings going on the same Q you give an example with, ive had the court card representing the person asking about the reading.....and like i mentioned to the poster, i knew the court card was the sitter going oht e surrounding card/s around the court card.

rwcarter

I understand what your saying rwcarter, but what about if you get two court cards for instance, then this could show both parties feelings, depending on surrounding cards of the court cards.

Plus in many of my readings going on the same Q you give an example with, ive had the court card representing the person asking about the reading.....and like i mentioned to the poster, i knew the court card was the sitter going oht e surrounding card/s around the court card.
If >> I << got two court cards when asking about John's feelings for Jane, I would interpret them as John's feelings for Jane. If interpreting them as both people has successfully worked for you, especially when one of the courts represents the querent (Jane in this example), then great.

And the beauty of tarot is that as long as it works for you, it's not wrong. It's just different than how someone else uses tarot. I should've made that clearer in my original response to RainatDayBreak.

Rodney

Barleywine

I think shot-in-the-dark "feels, thinks and/or sees" questions can drive you crazy because of the imprecision of tarot for making unsubstantiated psychological assumptions, given that any card has such a wide range of possible meanings. In a case like this, I'd be inclined to ask "Does John love Jane?" then come up with a spread that is precise enough to give me confidence in a "reasoned" yes or no answer. There are a lot of interpretive tools that can get you close to the mark, even if they do still provide a conditional answer that you have to draw your own conclusions from. (One of my old bosses was fond of saying "That's what they pay you the big bucks for!") I'd rather do that than play the "thinks/feels" guessing game. What John "thinks or feels" about Jane might remain a mystery, but any court card that comes up could tell you whether or not he has the "hots" for her. :joke:

RainatDayBreak

Rodney

Yes, that makes sense to me, and it's what I thought as well. Just wanted to confirm.

Gah, that would confuse me to no end. These days I often just do two-card readings. Spreads with too many cards take too long to interpret, and I get the feeling that the cards become confused because although I'm asking one question, a complicated spread actually addresses many aspects of that question so I prefer to ask one specific question at a time. I have actually just gotten two court cards for someone's feelings, and I'm interpreting them both as that person's feelings, instead of interpreting one of the cards as the querent's feeling. I mean, with only two cards, there's no way for me to tell which is which...

In a case like this, I'd be inclined to ask "Does John love Jane?" then come up with a spread that is precise enough to give me confidence in a "reasoned" yes or no answer. There are a lot of interpretive tools that can get you close to the mark, even if they do still provide a conditional answer that you have to draw your own conclusions from. (One of my old bosses was fond of saying "That's what they pay you the big bucks for!") I'd rather do that than play the "thinks/feels" guessing game. What John "thinks or feels" about Jane might remain a mystery, but any court card that comes up could tell you whether or not he has the "hots" for her. :joke:

Huh, interesting take. I thought tarot doesn't do well with yes/no answers. (Although, personally, I've found that tarot can give you an idea of whether the answer is closer to a yes or a no.) I wonder how asking the question as you've phrased it affects the clarity of the answer. Will have to experiment.

mary_leo

Last year I had a lot of confusing answers whenever I asked the question "how does he feel about me".
Using my last relationship as an example, my ex, had mixed feelings for me. So the reading was a mess sometimes.
So, lately I've been asking "does he have romantic feelings for me?" or "does he really like me?" and I had good results.

Enviado de meu MotoG3-TE usando Tapatalk

Barleywine

Huh, interesting take. I thought tarot doesn't do well with yes/no answers. (Although, personally, I've found that tarot can give you an idea of whether the answer is closer to a yes or a no.) I wonder how asking the question as you've phrased it affects the clarity of the answer. Will have to experiment.

I think it falls into the "peeling an onion" category, and I wouldn't use too many cards to do it, as well as very carefully deciding in advance what each one is going to contribute to the verdict. Mary K. Greer has a "yes/no" spread on her website that can be used for the purpose.