Sacred Days of Midsummer 2017

Disa

Ooh feeling excited about this. When are people doing their daily draw - morning or evening?

I'll do mine in the afternoons or evenings. More time than in the morning.

Barleywine

I'm going to do my draws in the mornings mainly since it's my quiet time of the day.
I found a way to protect my spread over 12 days. I had a nice size piece of glass that I'm covering it with in the center of my dining room table. :)

I'm ready! :)

I decided to take progressive digital photographs of mine as it grows so I can put the cards away after each pull. This does raise a question, though. If we leave the spread out as a work-in-progress, does that mean that cards already pulled are unavailable for any subsequent draws. I'm assuming "yes" but haven't seen it mentioned. I'm also assuming that we will shuffle the deck before each daily draw; if we don't we might as well lay the whole thing out on the first day.

EmpyreanKnight

I decided to take progressive digital photographs of mine as it grows so I can put the cards away after each pull. This does raise a question, though. If we leave the spread out as a work-in-progress, does that mean that cards already pulled are unavailable for any subsequent draws. I'm assuming "yes" but haven't seen it mentioned. I'm also assuming that we will shuffle the deck before each daily draw; if we don't we might as well lay the whole thing out on the first day.

We share the same assumption. I think in the previous Yule spread, some just opted to take out the card/s they have previously picked before shuffling their deck for the draw of the day, which might require some effort if you've been using the same deck for other readings. Some also just draw all the cards for the entire spread on the first day and just release their readings/interpretations one card at a time. I don't think we have hard and fast rules that we must definitely follow, aside from the terms RavenOfSummer laid in the spread description itself.

Barleywine

We share the same assumption. I think in the previous Yule spread, some just opted to take out the card/s they have previously picked before shuffling their deck for the draw of the day, which might require some effort if you've been using the same deck for other readings. Some also just draw all the cards for the entire spread on the first day and just release their readings/interpretations one card at a time. I don't think we have hard and fast rules that we must definitely follow, aside from the terms RavenOfSummer laid in the spread description itself.

Good point. Since I pull all the cards for my "wheel of the year" spread at the same time, I see no reason why I couldn't do the same thing and just reveal them one at a time, both to myself and here. My deck will be dedicated for this purpose, so there would be no effort involved in keeping things straight. The only thing that might make me change my mind is that each day has a different focus, meriting a different "question," so a new shuffle for each one would be appropriate.

littlethings

Finally decided! I'll be using my Fey deck. :)

RavenOfSummer

EmpyreanKnight is correct- no hard and fast rules for our group :) Most of us will be pulling a single card each day and leaving it out in a designated area for the duration of the reading, as space allows. That is traditionally how the Yule reading is done as well, but people are free to do whatever works best for them. So if the reading is done in this way, you would NOT have the opportunity to redraw the same cards, since the cards drawn for the reading thus far would be already laid out. And the idea is that it is a single spread even though it's done over multiple days- so just as if you drew 12 cards at one time for a reading, you would not get any repeats for any of the cards.

For me, the daily ritual of shuffling the deck (minus the cards I had drawn from the previous days) and drawing a card is a big part of the reflective process of each day of the reading. But again, everyone should do what works for them here :)

RavenOfSummer

Ooh feeling excited about this. When are people doing their daily draw - morning or evening?

I love the discussion this question generated! I plan to do mine in the mornings- I think it will help me have a deeper appreciation of the day ahead as we journey into this season. But as some others have said, probably the most important thing is to find the time that works best in terms of when in the day you have some space and some quiet :)

Nemia

I did mine right now! Wonderful! It's early morning and bright outside.

I use my Harmonious, and I'll leave the cards open, i.e., each day, there will be a different card from the deck. I didn't think about it before, but I will shuffle every morning. It feels better to prepare the deck for each reading especially since time is dynamical, i.e., there are always new things and energies to absorb and to react to.

I'm very curious how others do their readings, especially those who have done the Yule spread already....

I Sunshine

Sooo Excited to start <3

Finally got my deck choices down to two: The Daughters of the Moon & the Vision Quest. I actually went through a process yesterday with 9 decks out, asking each what they would bring to the spread and if they wanted to be used. It was fascinating! The Wildwood clearly showed Winter Solstice as it's choice for being used. The Wild Unknown, The Song for the Journey Home & Gaian Tarot all seem to want me to study with them more. The Animal Totem Tarot also wants to be studied, but wants me to take it seriously! (Have to admit, I had dismissed it as light & fluffy, but is just slapped me in the face - ha!). The two finalist both will bring an earthy, creative & changing energy to this spread and both simply shouted JOY at the idea of being used. ... So maybe two simultaneous spreads for me. Inner & outer circle, I think, although I would never envision these two decks together.
After this exercise, I already feel I know my decks better :)

RiverRunsDeep

I'm very curious how others do their readings, especially those who have done the Yule spread already....

I plan to do my reading the same way I did the Yule spread. I will draw one card each evening. Mornings are sheer chaos for me, always running late and dashing about with my hair on fire, so evenings are best for relaxing and being reflective. The cats are much too curious about my cards for me to leave them out . So, after drawing a card each evening, I will return the deck to its bag with the drawn card facing up and the rest of the deck facing down. Then, when I do my next draw, I will put the card from Day 1 aside and shuffle the rest of the deck, and repeat this process each evening, etc... Looking forward to getting started!!