what is the best version of the marseilles?

HOLMES

hi, i been looking at grimaud, conver, and other versions but i am not sure what is the best kind to get?

1. I am looking for the clearest line version
2. i am looking for the best coloured version
3. i am looking for the best looking i mean no blurred look at all.

kind of like what they did with the bible with the english standard version.
i am looking for a modern redone marielles that is beutiful and perhpas doenst' have the wood cut look for the wood cut lines would be taken out just leaving the colours and imagery?.

jmd

With the criteria you have set for yourself, I would recommend only one (which unfortunately only has the Atouts/Majors):
JC Flornoy's Dodal Marseille​

HOLMES

lol

i just read that you gave that tarot five stars on your review on our own aeclectic.

pray tell why you didnt' reccomend that deck instead of that other deck.

then it occurs to me that you know i been here for some time and i read every review over time.. i should of seen and remembered it :)

jmd

Personally, I quite like a number of modern renditions of the Marseille, and certainly would recommend both the Camoin-Jodorowsky and the Hadar - the Spanish modern Marsella I have still to obtain.

For each of these, the very fact that they have been made using modern techniques has meant that the lines are far clearer, and the colourations very precise.

My reviews for the Camoin and for the Hadar (written some time back) are also available on Aeclectic (linked separately with each name above) and together on the Association for Tarot Studies site.

I would now give the decks somewhat less than five stars. At the time, the Dodal reproductions were unavailable...

In a review-type post I made later than those written reviews (post 2 in the thread What Decks Do You Have in Your Collection?), I also point out my personal rating as periodically updated - and it reminds me that I need to update the list of decks that have made their way to me... you can see therein that I still have a very high regard for both the Hadar and the Camoin.

As I have also mentioned elsewhere, the only (and I mean the ONLY) reason I have not given a five star rating to Flornoy's reproductions are that they remain, at this stage, without courts and pips.

ocho8s

Holmes
I got the Jodo-Camoin deck and I love it, it came with the book of Jodo which has been a pleasure to read.
HTH
Blessings
Anaoly

Little Baron

Holmes

The colours on the Hadar are very pleasing to the eye and lines are nice, sharp and clear. It's images have a lot of depth but are clean and fresh.

LB

Fulgour

HOLMES said:
1. I am looking for the clearest line version
2. i am looking for the best coloured version
3. i am looking for the best looking i mean no blurred look at all.
Ancien Tarot de Marseille by Grimaud

:) Yes: "Ancien"

Little Baron

Fulgour said:
Ancien Tarot de Marseille by Grimaud

:) Yes: "Ancien"

I second this one as well; very sharp and punchy; I use it for readings when I want a real 'straight' answer.

LB

Moonbow

Well here's my opinion Holmes, although I am not privvy to as many decks as some of these experts here. But I would say the Hadar or Camoin (as you want a full deck).

I have a sense for the type of deck you are looking for and if you want sharpe lines and pleasant colouring you will find it in these. I had the Hadar as my only Marseilles deck for a long time and it's colours are more muted than the Grimaud and Camoin, with an emphasis on blue-y tones. The Camoin seems to have more colours and they are brigher and I have only had this deck this year but I'm quite taken with it. The Grimaud has sharpe lines and less colours which are also bright.

As far as preference goes it seems to be very individual, as some like the Grimaud and Hadar and feel quite strongly against the Camoin. Others dislike the Hadar but like the others.

I hope this has been of some help to you.