what is the best version of the marseilles?

Little Baron

That's right Moonbow. The Grimaud and Camoin are starker in comparison to the Hadar. I don't have the Camoin (maybe one day). I did use the Grimaud for a long time though and really liked it's brashness at times. All decks suggested are good, in my opinion. I hope you find the one that's right for you Holmes.

LB

Strange2

Based on your criterion, you may also want to consider the Tarot de Marsella, by Daniel Rodes and Encarna Sanchez. Very crisp lines, sharp bold colors, and the images almost pop off the card due to the gold background. The Marsella has a lot of similarities to the Camoin reconstructed deck, but with a bit more "punch". I find the Marsella to be a very readable and effective modern Marseilles deck.

That said, the Hadar, Camoin and Grimaud decks would also fit your requirements quite nicely.

Fulgour

Just as a footnote, it could easily be argued that
the Camoin, Hadar, and Rodes-Sanchez decks are
"imitations" based upon the true Marseilles pattern.
Not that I'm knocking them, but they are versions.

BlueLotus

My Major's Only B.P.Grimaud Marseilles deck came with the Fortune Telling Kit by Morgan. I didn't think anything of it until I got myself a copy of Le Tarot De Marseille, by Fournier later on, and compared the images.

I would definitely recommend the Grimaud edition although I have not seen the minors, but I assume they are as nicely depicted, easy to read with and as clear as can be. These images almost jump at you.

Here are a few images of the Grimaud which is sadly out of print.

stella01904

BlueLotus said:
MM ~ I had gotten the same idea awhile back and was assured by people at this forum that the Grimaud is most definitely NOT out of print! Moot point for me, since I have one anyway, but anyone who wants one should not be discouraged! BB, Stella PS If anyone is into gross, there's the Noblet. I got a belly laugh out of the Fool. I don't think that's a dog, though, only cats claw at dangling objects!

f. silvestris

For what it's worth - and I am only just finding my way into Marseilles decks - I got the Camoin Jodorowsky deck after a fair amount of thought and downloading many decks to look through them on my pc, and am very happy with it indeed.

Sophie

Fulgour said:
Just as a footnote, it could easily be argued that
the Camoin, Hadar, and Rodes-Sanchez decks are
"imitations" based upon the true Marseilles pattern.
Not that I'm knocking them, but they are versions.
Well we don't know what the true Marseille pattern is. There are several golden oldies on which the newer versions are based, with differences between them. Not that I'm knocking them ;)

On another subject: Stella, I agree, the Grimaud is not out of print. It's the bestseller.

Rusty Neon

BlueLotus said:

As other people have already noted in their posts to this thread, Grimaud's Tarot de Marseille deck is alive and well, and in print.

However, I'd like to point out [because I don't have a life :)] that the particular edition of the Grimaud deck whose card scans are located at the link above is out of print. The edition on the scans is a French-cardtitles pre-1980 deck, while the modern day French-cardtitles Grimaud deck indicates 1980 copyright on the cards.

The modern day French-cardtitles Grimaud has dark blues that are very blue, so blue that you can barely see the crustacean in the Moon card. In contrast, the pre-1980 Grimaud has a less blue dark blue -- just as in the case of the 1930 images.

For less blue dark blues in a French-cardtitles Grimaud deck, I would recommend a pre-1980 Grimaud or the (also out-of-print) Dusserre photoreproduction of the 1930 Marteau Grimaud deck.

Modern day English cardtitles or bilingual French/English-cardtitles Grimaud decks might have the less blue dark blues too; however, I leave it to owners of such decks to chime in with their observations.

Is it a coincidence that this change occurred circa 1980, the 50th anniversary of the Marteau Grimaud deck? As this isn't a change for the better, could copyright protection have something to do with it?

Moongold

Dear Holmes ~

I have the Conver, the Fournier and now the Convos (The TS Bookshop got it by mistake for me). I have ordered the Heron.

The Fournier is bright, colourful and articulate. The Heron is warm and old looking and I can't wait to get it.

The Convos is robust and brassy but has given me some really sharp readings.

I bet you will end up with more than one!