Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Faolainn Storm

2_Journey said:
Last night I started with the Fool, and decided to journal about the card in a creative way. I decided not to write about what I saw in the card's symbolism and how it spoke to me (my usual form of journalling about a specific card), but rather to write a memoir-ish journal entry about a time in my life that I think really embodied the Fool. I might go back over my journal entry and flesh it out a bit, and then write about what in the card speaks to me about that particular time in my life and the energies of the Fool card.

The journalling I did with my first IDS ended up something like this. I started with dry details of the card's symbolism, and ended up writing a speech in the voice of the card - as if the character was talking directly to me and telling me what he/she wanted me to know about the card and its meaning. The results were incredibly insightful and I came to understand those cards so much better. They truly spoke.
This is what I intend to with my next deck, when I have *FINALLY* found the right one. (I think I know, but I'm still in the process of confirming it as the right choice ;) .)

FS

Mateo06

How do I become part of the IDS. or should I go to a deck study group. I just got my Hanson Roberts deck in the mail and wish to study it, and not get a book like I did with my Robin Wood. I would like to take part if there is room?

rwcarter

Mateo,

There's always room for one more! Check out the first post in this thread for more info. I think it's post 10 where I gave a recap of what did and didn't work in my pledges for the first IDS. Basically the IDS is what you make of it. You study at your own pace and you study what you want to study how you want to study it.

I'll add you to the list, but this weekend IDS Pt 3 will come into being.

Rodney

teomat

2_Journey said:
Right now I am learning a valuable lesson about allowing myself to take my time with the cards and allowing my study to go at its own pace. Lately, I haven't been reading much with my deck, just playing around, getting to know the language the deck speaks and how it speaks to me. Nothing major, just feeling out the cards.
I think I need to take this approach too!

At the moment it's a bit too heavy-going for me. I've been trying to journal about a different card every day - this started off well, but it's becoming a bit of a chore. And when that happens, it's not fun anymore :(. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the momentum by taking a breather - it then feels like I'm not making progress.

Just need to relax I think... :D

I've also hit a stumbling block with those damnable court cards! Got the Queen of Ghosts on Tuesday, but I just couldn't get a feeling for the card. I think the courts are the weakest aspect of my deck - they're too RWS-like (except the Pages) and also very expressionless. Makes it difficult to get anything out of them.

Maybe I'll just pass them by for now...

Mateo06

At first glance Hanson Roberts doesn't have as much symbolism as my Robin Wood. That's why I want to study it further. I probably should get a book to help, but with school and work starting up I may not have as much time. I can see this going all the way until next Fall.

hshaffery

teomat said:
I've also hit a stumbling block with those damnable court cards! Got the Queen of Ghosts on Tuesday, but I just couldn't get a feeling for the card. I think the courts are the weakest aspect of my deck - they're too RWS-like (except the Pages) and also very expressionless. Makes it difficult to get anything out of them.

I just made a post about this in the Using Cards forum. I cannot get anywhere with the court cards! Something tells me that the court in Magical Forest have a lot to say, but I just am not hearing it! :|

Onyx

As Part Three starts . . .

rwcarter said:
I'll add you to the list, but this weekend IDS Pt 3 will come into being.

I have decided to make a choice to not divide my attention between two deck and focus just one one. I like the ITGD but I am more certain that the Liber T is my main focus now.

When you start the part three thread change my deck to the Liber T.

I am going to again work on studying the deck and posting in the Study Group forum about what I learn.

I am going to keep my PDR blog going but that will be the more meditative and reflective work.

I feel that this may be a full year activity and work through many different activities and programs and I felt like I was cheating on the ITGD when I would work with the Liber T I hate when decks get jealous!

Onyx.

Scion

The Liber T won't let you down. :D

SolSionnach

Scion said:
The Liber T won't let you down. :D
Scion, do you do a search on "Liber T" just to see who's talking about it? ;)

I haven't seen you around here for ages! How's the Liber T book coming?

Oh, on topic.

I haven't been studying Shining Tribe/Woman much, mostly because I hurt my hand trying to shuffle, shuffle, shuffle my Vieville into submission. :(
However, today I had a break, and I spent time just looking at the cards. There is some amazing imagery in the deck, in spite of the amateurish art. Or should I say "non art".

I also realized that I must read the blasted book, because I'm not going to pull stuff out of the cards on my own. I must be intuitionally-challenged - and I want to know what Rachel meant about this or that in the cards. I also realized that I prefer Shining Woman to Shining Tribe, as well... but it would be nice to have the handful of changed cards in the ST available in SW.

Hemera

I´m having problems with my new and gorgeous Legacy of the Divine tarot..
It isn´t speaking to me. It isn´t bonding with me..We are not connecting..
Oh, I don´t know.. I love the pictures and I love looking at them and thinking about the symbolism and all that. But the readings make no sense whatsoever :confused: So I find myself returning back to the Faeries (Hertz) for readings. And they immediatelly start talking. So right now I´m just waiting and wondering... Should I give the Legacy more time to open up or what? My IDSing has come to a halt and I´m eyeing my Faerie deck again..Maybe someone has experienced the same that the old fav. deck is calling louder than the new and gorgeous deck can speak? Any advice? :bugeyed: ??