Spreads For Thoth and Use of EDs

Cosmotaroist

I used to just do the 3 card past present future or body mind sprirt spread...but now i really am eager to move on to something more advanced like the GD open the key spread....but im still having trouble with the concept of counting and pairing...hopefully that will be clear soon

Julien

I'm just getting to know the Thoth -- and loving every second of it, by the way...

I have just found that a double horse-shoe spread works well with the ED's. It occurred to me as I was studying the deck this a.m. that it might since you read the cards sitting next to one another together (and, if I remember right, the very first time I ever tried reading a deck with ED's rather than reversals, I used a double horseshoe to help me with the process). So, there's an option, too.

Where I'm finding the ED's tough are Court cards... Air of Air, Air of Water, etc... Hmph. ;) Letting my intuition do the walking and looking at the cards surrounding for guidance. So far I seem to be getting some interesting insights, but everytime I see a Court, I take a deep breath... Patience seems the order of the day...

I've also managed to use the ED's quite well in a relationship reading using the Robert Place Relationship spread... The cards are laid out in sets of three's, you see, and that seemed to help with the ED's as well.

But I do also find the Thoth to be straight to the point -- and the point isn't always the one I asked about precisely. More cards work just fine, even on "fuzzy" questions if you are willing to let your mind wander a bit...

Just my humble two cents -- from a newbie Thoth reader, of course! ;)
Julien

Aeon418

Julien said:
Where I'm finding the ED's tough are Court cards... Air of Air, Air of Water, etc... Hmph. ;) Letting my intuition do the walking and looking at the cards surrounding for guidance. So far I seem to be getting some interesting insights, but everytime I see a Court, I take a deep breath... Patience seems the order of the day...
When using elemental dignities with court cards I always use the suit of the card to determine it's elemental nature.
For example: The Queen of Wands is Water of Fire. This is the watery aspect of fire, but this still a fire card. ;)

Julien

I'm finding this really depends upon the surrounding cards. For example, the Queen of Wands... Yes, a Fire card, but if she's surrounded by fire, I think it might be that her more negative qualities come out -- rather than passion we get pathos. Or the Knight of Cups... If he's surrounded by Fire, I think perhaps his conflicts are turning pretty nasty... The watery side seeming to evaporate in the heat of the moment, if you will -- still emotional, but much more disturbed...

Does that make sense to anyone else?

But it's taking some time for me to get a feel for this -- I'll remember your thought here, Aeon, as I am sure it's a good guidepost most of the time! I think I'm most confused when the opposite element is all around and it's either a queen or a knight...

Julien

archer1

Here is a spread to try it is a modified verison of the 15 card spread it the Book of Thoth
-----------4--5----------
-9--8-------1-10-------6--7-------
------------2--3-----------

The 10 card crosses the 1 card and is the pathway from past to future

1=nature of the problem
2-3 are the subconcience and part of the question
4-5 are the concience
6-7 is past
8-9 are future
10 is pathway from past to future

You can find this spread in the book that comes with the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot by Chic and Tabitha Cicero

hope this helps

archer1

P.S. If you are using reversals most thoth readers don't, do not mix them with reversals there is no point to it