Everyday Witch Tarot delayed until Feb 2017

celticnoodle

I'm so tired of the the constant male robed Druid/Wizard look. Harry Potter did some damage defining the look of a male magic user for pop culture!

Worse, men are branded everything under the sun except witch. We are priests, occultists, magicians, wizards, mages, sorcerers, warlocks, and whitelighters. We are Gandalf, Merlin, Dumbledore. But we can never be witches, because women have been locked into the automatic association. Harry Potter himself is rarely/never called a witch. But women aren't the problem; it's that to call a man a witch associates him with something so largely female in pop culture that he risks being seen as effeminate, weak, gay, whatever. That reinforces the macho stereotype that women should stick to being that, and leave proper men to be the opposite. It's a disservice to both when they avoid depicting men as such.

Also, male magic users don't call on the Goddess or female deities. They summon demons in books of black magic, or ancient gods from before time. They walk an ambiguous line between good and evil and always risk falling into evil darkness. They are Constantine and the Supernatural boys. They can't be happy and jovial, casting magic and being in tune with Nature or Mother Earth. They rarely use their magic to heal or inspire but are more than happy to use it to manipulate.

I've been fighting this silly macho stereotype my whole life and am happy that a fun witchy deck has started disrupting the norm.

You know, Aeric, I never really thought about this, and glad you did post it here, because I agree with you 100%.

I haven't rec'd my deck yet--should be in before Valentines Day though and I am very excited about getting it! I can't wait.

Essjay

Thanks DaughterofDanu and Padma :)

I think this is an improvement on Llewellyns cardstock that they used for the Linestrider.

celticnoodle

My deck will be at the Post Office at 8pm tonight, ready for delivery on Monday! **EAGER FACE***

:thumbsup:

MoonGypsy

i haven't purchased a deck in a while, and i have admittedly been on the fence about this one.
But i decided to bite the bullet and ordered it, but then decided to cancel it.
There just have not been any new decks that have sparked my interest, as of late.

Essjay

i haven't purchased a deck in a while, and i have admittedly been on the fence about this one.
But i decided to bite the bullet and ordered it, but then decided to cancel it.
There just have not been any new decks that have sparked my interest, as of late.

I would have loved to know what you thought of this one :heart:

The deeper I get into the Modern Spellcasters the more I wonder if this will be too light for me but will wait and see. Am hoping it may arrive Monday as BD have dispatched.

HighPriestess

I was excited about this one, then I saw more of the art and was like "ehhhhh" and then I saw a video review and decided to order it.

I love it. The art is whimsical and there are some creative interpretations of the cards (like the Three of Swords stabbing a heart-shaped cushion and there's an empty bed with a closed journal, you can just picture someone angrily scribbling in it). I love the Queen of Wands, it's so dramatic.

There are a few things I don't like about the deck: lack of racial diversity, slippery cards, not a lot of animals that aren't cats (I don't mind cats but the Green Witch Tarot had a bunch of different animals).

celticnoodle

I just returned from the post office, where I picked up my Everyday Witch Tarot deck. I came straight home to open the box and play around with it. Checked to make sure all the cards were there and they are, and checked every page of the book as well. All is in order it appears at first glance.

I love the artwork! However, I'm not so thrilled with the card stock as the cards are very thin and flimsy.

I wasn't expecting any other animals but cats tbh--save for the lion in the strength card and I thought maybe a few birds and mice... but there are other animals as well. Some dogs-in a few of the pictures, and I LOVE the black panther with the black cat in the Moon card! That may be MY fave card, due to the panther. :) But, I have also noticed fish, birds and butterflies, a crab, a dolpin, and lizards, a frog, dragon, and the cow in the King of Pentacles card. I was a bit surprised there weren't any mice shown, unless I missed them.

The book that comes with this deck is one of the best I've ever seen accompany a deck! Its in color--which is a real plus. The one thing I found odd is that there are scattered throughout the book pages for notes on only SOME of the cards. Why not all of them, or why not just have all the "note-taking" pages at the end of the book instead of scattered here and there throughout the book? I found that very odd. Esp. as in the minor arcana section, the Swords have one page for notes, the Cups has 3 pages for notes- all scattered throughout the Cups section, The Wands have no pages for notes and the Pentacles has two--and they are just scattered through out the book in various spots with an obvious no thought to where they were going. It would've been much better to either omit them all together or put the pages for note taking at the very end of the book. Really odd that.

The case that the cards and book fit into is very nicely done as well, and about the size of a book that would be in my bookcase, so it'll work well for me. Nice and sturdy.

Overall, it is a great set--the biggest drawback is the card stock for me, but I do love the deck--the artwork is very whimsical and colorful, and the book, though it is very well done with the coloring for the cards, the way they threw in the extra pages for note taking is very odd, to the point that I most likely won't use them. I wish they had just stuck them to the very end of the book instead or omitted them all together.

LauraKai

I just got my copy today. It's interesting to read others' thoughts here. I too love the whimsical artwork, and the creative, modern way some of the cards have been interpreted.

The only card I'm a little uncomfortable with is the Devil card. I wasn't expecting a red devil with a pointy tail, and I feel like it doesn't really fit with the rest of the cards, or the deck's theme.

I understand wanting to follow the RWS tradition, though the card would've got the message across just with the ice cream and bag of money.

It won't keep me from using the deck as I absolutely love the other 77 cards, but was just curious about others' reactions to it?

Rhinemaiden

Laurel, I'm so glad to read your review of Everyday Witch... mine is on the way, should be here next week. Can't wait to receive it. Looking forward to seeing all the cards in person, I like what I've seen online, but the drawings are too small to study the details.

The idea of the red devil with pointy tail doesn't bother me, I would have been more amused if he were wearing red socks. ;)

Glad you like the deck, thanks for sharing your impressions.

Sulis

I can't believe that I've just ordered this as it's not my usual sort of thing at all and I very rarely buy new tarot decks these days but I think it looks adorable and very usable too.
I really like the way it seems to not take itself too seriously and the artwork is lovely.. And there's black cats and no religious, neopagan overtones.. I can't wait to get it :).